(Topic ID: 242076)

Gottlieb System 3 Short

By JReedie

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JReedie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I've posted a few threads on this topic as every time I clear the problem it moves somewhere else.

I have a customer with a Street Fighter 2, currently fuses F8 (BACKBOX GI) and F9 (PLAYFIELD GI) Are shorting together.

Every bulb holder is shorted out which made me search for shorts further than just the playfield. I separated the fuse holders just to be certain there was nothing bridging them, with a continuity tester the right hand wire on fuse F8 coming from the transformer is shorting somewhere to the left hand wires of F9 going to the playfield. I disconnected all connectors and tried to trace the issue, if I disconnected A12J9 (transformer) the short dissappears. Also if I disconnected A9J3 (going to A Q T Relays) the short dissappears. I checked both connectors for any shorted wires/pins and found nothing, a also checked all relays for anything shorting the switches out and found nothing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as this has become a very frustrating issue that the owner of the machine has been tracing for over 2 years

Thanks
    James

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for your response, Yes the SF3 schematics are the same as above. The short that I'm getting is from the transformer side of F8/F9 (Which makes sense if they're tied) to the playfield side of F9. But I don't understand what could be bridging those 2 lines to create a short

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Keep in mind that this is a volts AC supply to both branches. Make sure you are not measuring back through the transfomer winding by disconnecting either wire at pin 10 or 11 of the transformer secondary.

It's kinda difficult as I don't have immediate access to the machine as it's at the customers arcade. Where should I be testing and what reading should I be looking for? I can't seem to figure out how the power from the transformer is shorting across the fuse holder to the playfield GI

#8 4 years ago

I've only just recently started work on the machine as the arcades full time technician didn't know anything about pinball machines. The machine had been intermittently blowing fuse F9 for the playfield GI. When I got there F9 just had a load of fuse wire wrapped round it. After testing all the holders I found 1 which had shorted out and replaced it, GI was working fine since. About a month later I get a call saying the GI had blown again. The T10A fuse at F9 started to blow more and more often to the point now that it blows as soon as you power on the machine

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider JReedie.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-short?tu=JReedie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.