New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 276467)

Gottlieb System 3 pop bumper

By Jmckune

59 days ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by ts4z
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 59 days ago

So I have a weird issue that I’m running into with Rescue 911 that I haven’t run into on any of my Williams games. The right pop bumper isn’t working that great. I can manually move it and it feels great and after moving manually it will work 3 or 4 times. After that I can hear the coil buzzing but the ring doesn’t move down like it should. It sounds like a mechanical issue but I’ve never seen one so weak it couldn’t pull it down. Does it sound like it just needs to be cleaned or is it something else?

#2 59 days ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Does it sound like it just needs to be cleaned or is it something else?

I wonder if it's a weak connection of the wires from coil to board ( every connection along the way ) and sometimes doesn't get full power ?

LTG : )

#3 59 days ago

Would that be the power side or ground side?

#4 59 days ago

I would disassemble it and check for all the usual stuff. I agree it sounds mechanical. I suspect you have a burr on the shaft, or a cracked yoke. It could also be a loose coil out of alignment, or a loose screw somewhere. When you move it by hand you're setting it up for success (a finger works very differently than an electromagnet), but it manages to work itself back into a bad position quickly.

If it's electrical, you can try grounding the non-banded side of the coil diode and see if it pops, and check for good voltage on the other side of the coil (jump it to one of the other pops). But I don't think it's electrical.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 249.00
1,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Escondido, CA
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 42.00
2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 30.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Great American Pinball
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Bent Mods
$ 52.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Lighting - Interactive
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside