(Topic ID: 202506)

Gottlieb System 3. Plugged DMD in backwards. Blew 2 fuses. What now?

By mystman12

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by mystman12
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

So I was trying to record direct audio on my Stargate. I have an aux cable that has one end made up of alligator clips and I had connected them to the subwoofer connectors, and wrapped them with electric tape to ensure there was no exposed metal. It was working great, but I was picking up a buzzing sound I thought that perhaps the DMD was generating the buzz. So, I disconnected the DMD cables at the DMD itself, not the board, and turned the game on (And I have done this before with no issues). The buzzing was still present in my recording so I just decided to turn it off and plug the DMD back in to make navigating the sound test easier. I plugged the black cable back in fine, but cable 1A4J1 didn't go in as far as I thought it was supposed to, but I (stupidly) didn't think anything of it. Turned machine on, nothing on the display. Looked at the cable again, pushed it, and it went in further. Thinking that I simply hadn't pushed it in far enough the first time, I turned on the machine again, still no display. Looking at the cable again I finally realized I had plugged it in backwards, as the contacts on the plug didn't align with the contacts on the DMD! Upon further examination I found that both display fuses (F3 and F4) had blown. After this I turned the machine on, with the DMD unplugged, and all board LEDs were blinking as normal. I've since turned the machine on a few other times to check a few unrelated things, but as far as I know the board LEDs are still blinking as normal.

Now I have new fuses on order, but before I do anything else I want to know what precautions, if any, I should take before putting the fuses back in and *properly* plugging the DMD back in. I've been told that the display board in System 3s is prone to blow if the DMD is disconnected, so is there anything on that board I should check before trying to do anything else? Basically, I just want to know if, if the board does have some damage, it is safe for me to put everything back together properly without risking the board doing more damage to itself.

#2 6 years ago

Just got new fuses in the mail today. Any help?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

I've been told that the display board in System 3s is prone to blow if the DMD is disconnected

Not quite. The U8 chip blows on the DMD controller board if you connect/disconnect the DMD while it's powered on.

However, since you also reversed the connector that carries power to the DMD, it's likely that the DMD is toast too.

All you can do is plug everything in correctly and fire it up to see what you get.

#4 6 years ago

Alright, put everything back together and... It's A-okay! Thank goodness for fuses!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-plugged-dmd-in-backwards-blew-2-fuses-what-now and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.