4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by 4malulz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B1828DE9-6F8E-4276-90D2-3F418B1E2938 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20191031-160058_Drive (resized).jpg
    20191031_160148 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20191031-160413_Drive (resized).jpg
    #1 4 years ago

I just picked up a Stargate. After first glance I thought all was working but after 1 game I realized that the right flipper select function did not work. Flipper work fine, balls are hit but select does not work. For example during game play it asks you a question left flipper no or right flipper yes. The left flipper seems to register but not the right. So I went into diagnostics mode. I can scroll through menus with left flipper button but I cannot select with right flipper. Gottlieb very different than Williams games. There is no transit or for flipper. Thus no CPU switch register I can see in manual. Flipper button makes switch contact and power flows to through coil. Which brings me to my question. How does the CPU know the switch is triggered? Any assistance understand how this works would be appreicate. Even better I am looking for ideas what I should check to fix.

#2 4 years ago

This can be a very tricky problem to fix. And there might be bad wiring in your game that can blow new parts.

I have seen this a few times and is tough to get the correct part and might be more than one part.

Double and triple check all wiring.

Next, there is a small board under the PF, usually mounted in the rear. This gives the signals to the switch matrix from the flippers. Look at schematic, shown there but people can’t find this. Because I. Under the PF and way towards the back.

But

Problem would also be in either the MPU or driver board. Usually in driver board, have seen it there. But if you study the schematic it would be in the MPU also.

#3 4 years ago

Already got this problem...if I remember it came from a common wire unsold.
    Check all those I draw in red.
    Follow wire one by one and check every switches if there is an unsold wire.
    20191031_160148 (resized).jpg20191031_160148 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191031-160058_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191031-160058_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191031-160413_Drive (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191031-160413_Drive (resized).jpg

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for pointers I found the A15 Flipper sensor board. Its on bottom of playfield back. With MM i did a quick check on both circuits in board to see if I could find a bad resistor, diode or transistor. All looked ok but I have been fooled before as many times board needs to be powered on prior to cause the component to show signs of failing. Prior to checking with power I plan to trace and check wires from A15 to I assume to the A1 CPU board switch matrix. Gottlieb schematics more difficult to read that Williams.

#5 4 years ago

So I looked at A15 sensor board. I could not find anything wrong. I could see the 033 black orange orange wire on flipper switch and on right coil. I also could see a 033 wire attached to A15 sensor board. I could buzz to switch to coil but not to the sensor board. As a sanity check I did same with left flipper. I could not buzz wire to sensor board from switch either. Left flipper button does register with switch matrix. So I know it works. I am not understanding something. Looking for ideas.

#6 4 years ago

I have this same issue currently on a Barb Wire. I believe both Benhurr and Athens are correct, atleast in my situation. I have been through almost all the boards under the playfield and replaced many suspect parts. The right flipper switch is 47 or there about. What i have found, with only being able to go down in the menu system, is the you can still navigate inside the menu system by using the test button as an "ENTER" key. And many values can be changed and tests performed that you may not be aware of. However, freeplay is still not selectable.
    As i was saying, is that after being under the playfield looking and testing all the boards, is that i believe they are right in that a common wire is NC. My machine is able to go through all the light matrix switch tests but some lights to not appear correct according the their description in the test menu. Which in my opinion is caused by missing or grounded strobe lines. Being a system 3, there is also the possibility a faulty switch causing havoc on the entire "chain" (row or column) of switches AND lights. The system 3 troubleshooting manual suggests disconnecting all the lights to help diagnose a switch problem and i suggest you do that as well. Since i have, i have found a flakey shooter lane switch.
    I am currently headed to NC. But will check back the beginning of next week with more info. But after spending many hours on this project, i believe they are correct in being a NC / short condition. I have tested almost every board under the playfield and have not solved the no right flipper switch problem. Please share your findings and i will do the same asap..

#7 4 years ago

I want to provide an update. Still have not found issue but I have learned there are 2 A15 boards under playfield. I found right one now and connections from flipper coils to board test out as expected. All circuits and comments on board seem to check out so now I am going to follow to A1 board. I might have a bad transistor.

#8 4 years ago

Locating the right A15 board was key. Once I was able to test the coil to sensor board successfully I then move on to testing the wire 622 (blue red red) wire. First switch I looked I found it. Broken wire broke circuit. Success. Thank you all for advise. You were right on, look at the schematic and trace the circuit.

B1828DE9-6F8E-4276-90D2-3F418B1E2938 (resized).jpegB1828DE9-6F8E-4276-90D2-3F418B1E2938 (resized).jpeg
    #9 4 years ago

As well one of the common wire brokes...great works. You better check all welds under playfields and resold those who looks fragile.
    Have fun

#10 4 years ago

I found my issue The 633 wire Blue Orange Orange wire had disconnected from the left outside rollover. Once re-soldiered, she lives!!! Thanks for the help and pointers...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-how-does-menu-select-work?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.