(Topic ID: 166233)

Gottlieb System 3 - Hoops! CPU Board or A23 display Issue?

By jay

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Tbgolfen
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Having a strange issue with Hoops. The game was working fine but there were some digits not displaying properly on the basket count (secondary) A23 display board... 0 was a 4, there was no 8, stuff like that. I unplugged and plugged back the connectors and now the game boots up, plays the let's shoot some hoops sound backwards (as though it were posessed by demons) and makes weird static-like noises. Also, all the segments on the A23 display are now lit all the time. I can start up and play a game fine but the sound is all wrong. If I unplug the A23 board, I get a completely normal boot, including sounds and gameplay, but of course I have no basket points display, only the main display. Looking at the CPU board, I've tried resoldering the connector pins but really, I could tell they were fine by looking at them. U4, the 6522 chip has been replaced. According to my schematic, U5 (also a 6522) is related to the display circuit for the A23. Any idea how to test this chip? Anyone seen something like this? So little info on these gottliebs available on pinwiki or even here.

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

Just updating that this problem has been solved. It was indeed a bad U5 6522 (or 65C22) PIA chip... in case someone is ever searching with a similar issue.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jay.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-hoops-cpu-board-or-a23-display-issue?tu=jay and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.