Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I am doing a HV rebuild on a SFII DMD power board using a rebuild kit from GPE. This one:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GTLB3-HVP-KIT

My question is, the optional capacitors that you can get from that kit are 220uF and the ones that are currently on the board are 150uF. Are these the correct replacement?

#2 10 years ago

I'm pretty sure those are GPE recommended upgrades for the filter caps. I had a similar experience on a Williams HV kit I bought from GPE.

But you can email Ed to be sure.

#3 10 years ago

Yeah, those caps are fine for replacement.

Having said that the last three sets I looked at tested fine and didn't need replacing. While it is a best practice to replace 20 year old 'lytic caps, don't expect any improvement from a new set.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago

Well I have them so I might as well replace them. I am not holding out a lot of hope for this board, it is pretty toasty and the solder pads are all really brittle and a lot of hacks have been installed in the past Parts were cheap though.

#5 10 years ago

Surprised it would get that toasty since they run at a lower voltage than your typical B/W game.

I asked Ed a while ago about these as obviously with the bigger caps I had a question about the effect of inrush current. His comment:

"Nah – going from 150uF to 220uF will have a nearly zero difference in ripple current values (inrush current)."

And the originals on B/W were also 150uF and people have been swapping them out for 220uF for a while now.

He had never turned on the option for people to add these caps to his HV rebuild kit. I'm guessing because most people didn't ask for it or felt the need to get them.

viperrwk

1 week later
#6 10 years ago

I just did a HV repair kit last night (didn't replace caps c21, c22) and still am not getting any HV (+62, -112, or -110). will probably start a new thread but saw this one while researching. Let us know how yours turns out. I tested most of he replaced components and couldn't find a single bad one. HV AC is coming into the board at a8j1 so it appears to sill be a problem on board somewhere.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from jacklick:

I just did a HV repair kit last night (didn't replace caps c21, c22) and still am not getting any HV (+62, -112, or -110). will probably start a new thread but saw this one while researching. Let us know how yours turns out. I tested most of he replaced components and couldn't find a single bad one. HV AC is coming into the board at a8j1 so it appears to sill be a problem on board somewhere.

If you used Ed's kit (sans caps) and are still not getting voltages out, you have to suspect problems with the diode bridges (D1-D4, D5-D8.)

Unless your board has been hacked or is pretty toasty like Gov's (unusual for a Sys3) it should be very responsive to a rebuild.

Other thing to check are the fuses on the xfmr panel, F4 (I think) for the 58VAC line and especially F3 for the 95VAC line in the twist in holder. These holders are notorious for going bad - even though you have a tested good fuse installed. I've replaced more than a few of these...

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

If you used Ed's kit (sans caps) and are still not getting voltages out, you have to suspect problems with the diode bridges (D1-D4, D5-D8.)
Unless your board has been hacked or is pretty toasty like Gov's (unusual for a Sys3) it should be very responsive to a rebuild.
Other thing to check are the fuses on the xfmr panel, F4 (I think) for the 58VAC line and especially F3 for the 95VAC line in the twist in holder. These holders are notorious for going bad - even though you have a tested good fuse installed. I've replaced more than a few of these...
viperrwk

thanks for the clues...Again sorry for thread jack...
Just to double check, I measured Caps as best I could (desoldered and loaded w/ 9v and measured voltage drop) those appear good. Put board back in and measured DC Voltage at C21 (>80 vdc) and C22 (>100vdc). So this should eliminate AC fuses and and diode bridges. Just need to find out why the voltage isn't making it to a4j1. doesn't make sense unless a trace is broken somewhere which I can't see yet.

One thing pinwiki states is measure A4J1 pin 4 to ground. However, that pin is the Hvolt ground so don't believe it should have continuity to ground (mine doesn't). Pin 5 is Logic gnd which does have continuity w/ backbox gnd. BTW, I might add my first pinwiki contribution. Before or after checking fuses 3&4, just check AC voltage at a8j1 pins 1&2 should be @ slightly higher than 58 Vac and pins 3&4 slightly higher than 95 Vac.

#9 10 years ago

hmm, I think my board is a ok. probably did kit for no reason. first I checked voltage at a8j2 and then...If I check voltage at a4j1, using pin4 for gnd, pins 1, 2 and 8 all read fine.

either pinwiki is wrong/misleading or my HV gnd should have continuity with Logic (common?) gnd.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from jacklick:

hmm, I think my board is a ok. probably did kit for no reason. first I checked voltage at a8j2 and then...If I check voltage at a4j1, using pin4 for gnd, pins 1, 2 and 8 all read fine.
either pinwiki is wrong/misleading or my HV gnd should have continuity with Logic (common?) gnd.

I'm guessing you're working without a schematic.

I will go double check this in a minute but I don't believe pin 8 on A8J1 is hooked to anything (or should be hooked to anything.) The pinout for the inputs should be:

Pin 1 - 58VAC
Pin 2 - 58VAC return
Pin 3 - 95VAC
Pin 4 - 95VAC return
Pin 5 - 20VDC
Pin 9 - 5VDC
Pin 10 - DC ground

On the output side - A8J2:

Pin 1 - 5VDC
Pin 2 - High voltage ground
Pin 3 - Logic ground
Pin 4 - 12VDC
Pin 5 - 62VDC
Pin 7 - -112VDC
Pin 8 - -100VDC

The 62, -100 and -112 should be measured relative to pin 2. The 5 & 12 should be measured relative to pin 3.

viperrwk

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

I'm guessing you're working without a schematic
viperrwk

nope I have the schematic but didn't dive into it until after rebuilding the HV section and used this as the determining factor.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Dot_Matrix_Displays_2

Your gnd reference points is exactly what I tested before moving to A4J1 (at dmd), which is where I reference pin 8. Basically, pinwiki doesn't mention the testing on A8J2, only A4J1, and doesn't delineate between the two ground reference points. So if you test the HV at A4J1 (pins 1,2, &w/ the ground reference in pinwiki, you are likely to not get any HV reading. Hopefully that makes sense.

BTW

#12 10 years ago

If you're not getting the same voltages at A4J1 that you get at A8J2 then something is amiss.

Given the connectors used on the DMD controller, it is easier to measure the voltages at the display itself, which is probably why Pinwiki mentions to measure them there.

If your voltages are good at the display but nothing shows, either you have bad cables, a bad U8 or bad RAM on the DMD controller, or a bad DMD of course.

And of course, don't disconnect the cables while the power is running - this spells death for the U8 GAL.

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-high-voltage-repair-capcitor-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.