Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Benhurr
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I have a Gladiators machine that is working fine except that occasionally the sound board locks up during a game. When it happens I can push the reset button on the sound board and board will reboot and I can continue the game with sound. I have replaced all the EPROMs on the sound card. Any suggestions on what to try next or how to troubleshoot?

#2 5 years ago

Bump

No ideas? I guess I will take the board out and go through it again and change the ram, again. I was hoping some one had seen this issue before.

#3 5 years ago

Also change ribbon cables

#4 5 years ago

Thanks. I have installed new ribbon cables except for the one between the sound board and the aux. sound board, still looking for one of those. Both ribbon cables on the cpu were bad, pin 1 on both of them, probably caused by folks squeezing the cable to pull it off.

I have repinned the .156 connectors, new EPROMs, new ram, checked traces, reflowed solder, etc. I am going to swap cards between my Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World and Gladiators one at a time and see if I can identify which board, if any, is causing the problem. I’ll start with the ribbon cable.

The cpu and display driver continues to work when the sound board locks up and the game plays fine, just no sound, so I don’t think the problem is coming from the cpu but anything is possible. I’ll direct some heat on the board to see if it could be heat related but first I’ll see if I can identify which board is the problem.

#5 5 years ago

Ribbon cable made no difference. Swapped sound card and eproms, problem went away. Put Gladiators in Mushroom World and had no problem. ?? Perhaps just reseating EPROMs with the swap. Anyway, marking this resolved for now.

#6 5 years ago

Did you made the ground update on your pin?
Look at pinrepair.com to find how to shunt all ground wires.
If it is not ever made, you might did it quick before having many troubles on driver board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Havertown, PA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-gladiators-sound-locks-up?hl=thewiz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.