Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by viperrwk
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I bought my first machine earlier this year (Gottlieb Street Fighter II) played for a few months until getting sick of just how much dirt and grime had gotten trapped inside the machine. One thing lead to another and suddenly I had an empty playfield and pieces all across the apartment.
I've just finished replacing the broken parts and putting the machine back together but now none of the playfield general illumination is working anymore. However all the inserts and lights inside the backbox are working as intended.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting my GI issues? I've tried looking through the schematics but I'm still coming to grips with reading and understanding them.

#2 10 years ago

Start with the easy stuff first: check the fuses and connectors. My guess, though, is that your problem is going to be down in the bottom of the cabinet. Check your "T" relay. There should be just one switch that changes when the relay engages (goes from normally closed to open). That relay, although it is for tilt (hence the T) is what connects power to the play field GI. Check to make sure that the contacts are clean and making good contact when the relayis at rest. If they are, and the relay is staying energized (and therefore keeping the contacts open), then you'll need to check all your tilt switches and find the culprit.

#3 10 years ago

Did the playfield GI work properly before? All your lighting in the backbox works now including GI? When you stripped and cleaned the playfield did you remove it from the cab or leave it in and connected? Did you solder or remove any wiring as part of the process?

Sys3 GI is pretty straightforward save for going through the T relay as pepind indicated. Knowing these other details will help with troubleshooting suggestions.

viperrwk

#4 10 years ago

Yes, give the contacts on the T relay a light clean and adjust.

#5 10 years ago

I have to agree there are 3 relays in the back right side under playfeild you want to make sure the tilt relay is closed it is the one in the middle. If its closed then I would definitly replace the fuse even if your meter is saying it is ok. If you do those two things I say it works but if not you should look at each bulb that is not working and look at the soldering joints on them and make sure there ok and if there is any missing light bulbs to make sure there is nothing in them then again replace the fuse. Good luck and make sure you buy the proper fuse

#6 10 years ago

All three of the relays inside (A, T, and Q) are clean and functioning as intended. However I somehow missed the fact that there are fuses on the transformer panel as well as beneath the playfield. The fuse which controls PF Illumination is blown so that should give me a place to start.

Quoted from viperrwk:

When you stripped and cleaned the playfield did you remove it from the cab or leave it in and connected? Did you solder or remove any wiring as part of the process?

The playfield was removed from the cab and everything save the ball guides was removed from the top. I wasn't feeling adventurous enough to desolder the wiring harness however so unless a piece was in need of replacement it stayed connected.

Post edited by TraderSam : Update

#7 10 years ago

Is the lightstrip hooked up? You could have pinched wires or something with the lightstrip might be shorting. I'd disconnect that and see if it still blows the fuse. If it does then you know the problem is on the playfield. Unfortunately, tracking down the problem now is a real bear and SFII is one of the heavier playfields out there...

viperrwk

#8 10 years ago

Had the same issue with my Cactus Jacks. You have to remove all the GI bulbs and get your multimeter ready. Youve got either a bad lamp or a shorted socket.

First, I clipped a 7 amp thermal circuit breaker onto the GI fuse holder so I wouldn't burn through a million fuses. Then I began the tedious and disheartening task of removing all the GI lights, which meant taking off all the ramps and plastics AGAIN after I had just reassembled the freakin thing. After every 6-7 bulbs, I would power the machine back on to see if I just happened to have a bad bulb. Breaker tripped every time. After removing all the bulbs, I set my multimeter to 200ohm and clipped the leads onto the underside of one GI bulb. It read 1.2 give or take .1ish. I knew something was indeed shorted. I wiggled, poked, and prodded every single damn light socket on the playfield, looking for the resistance to change dramatically. Nada. Great. At this point, I figured Ive developed a bigger problem.

But THEN, I realized there were 5 more GI bulbs I forgot about. Two in the coin door and 3 on the dancing cactus stage behind the playfield. I took out those bulbs and on the very last socket I could possibly check (Cactus #3), I saw that one of the socket's terminals was bent forward against the body of the socket. I bent the terminal away and blammo! My GI came back on and the breaker stopped tripping. I must have bent it when I put the light cover back on during the shop job. Nonetheless I was still pissed that I disassembled the entire playfield twice to discover that the issue wasnt even on the playfield. What a pain in the ass!!!

#9 10 years ago

Good point about the coin door. Eliminate that as a potential problem by disconnecting the harness at the door. If you disconnect that and the lightstrip and the fuse still blows you will have no choice but to slug it out on the playfield as Drewster suggests.

Of course, it will always be the last thing you check when you find the problem...

viperrwk

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-gi-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.