(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northvibe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 9 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3#Ground_Upgrades

Not sure...but here is the pinwiki on sys 3's. I didn't fully read it yet, but maybe it has some info?

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from BJM-Maxx:

It just jumps into how to make the modification, it does not really mention the type of symptoms it is supposed to cure.

ohhh :/ sorry.

Where does that solenoid connect back to? I just dealt with some BS coil issue on my lwjp...oh my gosh you can trace that crap everywhere, but it ended up being in the board.

You can test the unit itself, the diode, continuity of the wires, then the transistor and back.

1 year later
#132 8 years ago

I just got back into the sys 3 club! Waterworld is back in my collection

1 week later
#137 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Nice, I have always wanted to spend some quality time with one of those.

sellers remorse on my first one couldn't find another one as nice.... I need to pick it up from a friends house but the pics made it look good.

I may have to play with my fingers to show some of the modes that 99% of no one knows about. It is oddly deeper than most think, although most sys 3's are like that.

I forgot about the gladiators. It is at my pinball partners house. Just rebuilt the bottom 2 flippers last night. The upper 2 will be next and the L opto's need to be fixed. Then it will be working 100% again

1 month later
#142 8 years ago

Idk why but I like waterworld too...need to shop it out and fix the optos as the deez doesn't register balls getting shot in for multi ball.

You should pick that shaq up!!!!

1 year later
#295 6 years ago

Anyone have tips to center and adjust the gladiators moving ramp? Not sure what sw30 actually controls or informs the board

#297 6 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

There is a return switch when the rail moves to the right, find that switch loosen the set screw just a bit, then i put in coil test, on the motor and let it travel back and forth , until it hits the switch on the travel to the right each time .

ahhh THANK YOU! Okay so when it hits the switch the ramp should be fully to the right?

#312 6 years ago

Pretty sure these are the legs for 1980+ gottlieb's?

PBR sold me LEG-27C on mine.

1 week later
#335 6 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

hey, curious what leds did you end up using?
i been trying to buy from comet but they are ALWAYS out of stock.

I did a coin taker kit in my waterworld and loved it. Gottlieb inserts really pop nicely.

2 months later
#409 6 years ago

Question for you sys3 guys.

my old gladiators when flipping the left flipper, flips like a machine gun.

If you hold the flipper button the flipper goes up then on/off super fast. Thinking maybe the flipper button switch has an issue?

#412 6 years ago
Quoted from mystman12:

This sounds like an issue with the hold coil in the flipper. The flipper should contain two separately powered coils, one for the initial, more powerful movement, and one weaker coil to hold the flipper up once the end of stroke switch in the flipper is opened. If the hold coil is bad, then chatter occurs.
I'm pretty new to this, so don't quote me on this stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works. The flipper button switch should be fine.

Ahhhh. Is the 2nd coil inside the main? So it wouldn't be like a broke off soldered wire or diode. Most likely a bad hold coil?

I sold the game so I can't see it but trying to help the guy out

4 months later
#428 6 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Got my first System 3 Gottlieb to go with my Astro, Sky Jump, Buck Rogers and Rack-A-Ball machines. Kids love playing it which was the point of getting it, fun game for sure.

I love waterworld, my first game and I’ve owned it twice and always regret selling it.

IMO it is a a knock off MM. same sorta shot layout and no one thinks the game is deep but that’s because they haven’t gotten all the modes! It is actually pretty deep in modes

6 months later
#463 5 years ago
Quoted from Epistaxis:

Does anybody know where to get these tabs from? Pinball machines a Gottlieb Waterworld.

Best bet is PBR. I don’t know what they are called, but describe them in email or on the phone. They have always helped me out immensely.

0198399F-AFFA-4060-8F48-D37122BBEA23 (resized).jpeg0198399F-AFFA-4060-8F48-D37122BBEA23 (resized).jpeg

1 month later
#470 5 years ago

hey guys, My teed off is working great but I have 2 questions that are somewhat related.
My test button does not work. However the volume and the tournament switch do. I am not able to get into test mode and its killing me. No one has the board in stock, What are my options? just replace the button?
My second question is, Is the target bank in front of the gopher hole supposed to reset when they are all knocked down? Mine does not but I believe it might be because im stuck in tournament mode.

Do you have the manual for your game? PBR has full control over gottlieb so we don’t have online free scans on ipdb but if you buy one or have one, it would list how test works and the drop logic is

#473 5 years ago

I do have the manual. It just says the game must be in attract mode before it will enter test mode. Still nothing.
Forceflow i will check that out this weekend thanks. Its just odd the rest of the board works besides that button

Interesting. Ya what forceflow said, and check physical button continuity. I mean it is pinball so weird things happen. Hope it is an easy fix!

2 years later
#831 3 years ago

I am working on a Gladiators and I haven't touched a sys3 since I sold this thing. I am trying to put new flippers on and obviously there is the screw, but these are stuck on pretty good. They pull up right? do you Have to pry or any tricks to get the flippers off?

#833 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

It's been a while for me too, but if I remember correctly, the white plastic bat just snaps onto the metal shoe from above, then the screw secures it to the shoe. It could be that the screws kept coming loose and someone used glue to help hold the bats in place. I had seen that before.

ughhhhhhh, that was my fear. well I may try to tap it, otherwise I'll have to cut that thing, so far seems like all 4 are this way.

#838 3 years ago
Quoted from mattosborn:

If you're just replacing the plastic flipper shoe, remove the flipper shaft from the machine and then break the shoe from the shaft. Hammer and pliers are your friends.

Quoted from Impzilla:

[quoted image]

Thanks! I was lazily hoping not to remove the bat but....you know thats the easier way, specially if they glued the shoe onto the bat.

1 week later
#841 3 years ago

I have a gladiators, I replaced the flipper button switches and (not sure if this was the case before) but the upper right flipper sometimes looks/feels limp/weak. Could this be a clip on the flipper button switch that has to be made sure it is tight, contacts making good connection? Any thoughts for when I go check at the neighbors house. THanks!

#844 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Likely the flipper button switch is not making contact on the second switch, or the flipper needs rebuilding on the top. Those are the simple reasons. Make sure the upper flipper is held in very well on the flipper pawl (the piece that you screw the flipper into that connects to the coil arm), and check that the bushing is not messed up or dirty. Also check wires going into the coil, and if they're flimsy, resolder well.

Thanks. I was hoping I wasn't missing anything or over thinking it. I'll bring my tools down and verify tightness and connections etc. then report back!

2 weeks later
#847 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

One thing I've noticed especially with Gottlieb System 80s/3s is the wiring tends to be corroded or coated with SOMETHING inside the jacket that makes it especially difficult to solder.
Any more, when replacing a coil/switch/etc I strip the wire, probably 1/2", and sand the bare wire with 400 grit or 600 grit sandpaper.
Once done, I then use some of the "waxy" flux, and get ready to hook it up - clean the hole on the coil, switch, remove old solder etc...
And of course clean up old flux with DNA.
I've found this is way to make better connections.
I wonder what's on the wires - corrosion or coating? I may never know.,

the skill roll I am working on has wire like this... absolutely hates solder. I may have to get my dremel with a brush disc to scuff it up.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weyburn, SK
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider northvibe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=northvibe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.