(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#647 4 years ago

Looking for a replacement ribbon connector that connects the sound board to the board below it on a Wipe Out. Turns out the ribbon connector has two parallel rows of 10 male pins on it (the female ends are in the boards and some of the pins are broken) and some of those male pins are broken. The part number that I can make out (some of the number is behind the connector housing) is AWM E53793.

Any help?

#648 4 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Looking for a replacement ribbon connector that connects the sound board to the board below it on a Wipe Out. Turns out the ribbon connector has two parallel rows of 10 male pins on it (the female ends are in the boards) and some of those male pins are broken. The part number that I can make out (some of the number is behind the connector housing) is AWM E53793.
Any help?

[edit]

#652 4 years ago

Thanks latenite04 (PM sent) and matiou for the replies. Indeed, the connector suggestions you sent match visually. Thanks so much! Where would I be without pinside?

#653 4 years ago

More System 3 questions related to my Wipe Out:

(1) Anyone know of a replacement resistor board available? Original part number is A13 26378. The one I have is pretty crisp and was jumpered by the previous owner--all lights are working well--but I'd prefer to add a replacement if I can.

(2) In the top right corner of the backbox of my Wipe Out there is a fan installed that looks to be factory and the fan spins by hand, but the wires to it were cut by a previous owner. Has anyone else seen this in system 3 games? Any opinions on whether the fan is needed? From the front, all the backbox boards and connectors look to be clean with no sign of heat damage.

Thanks!

#655 4 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

I have the same question. Your Wipeout looks outstanding and nice and bright. Care to share your LED mix?

Then your Comet is trying to tell you something. All Comet non-ghosting white LEDs:

https://www.cometpinball.com/

#657 4 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

The resitor board you're looking for is the MA-1417: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-1417
unfortunately I could not find one available online with a quick search. However, it should be really straightforward to fix yours. Take the opportunity to put resistors with a bit more watts.

Thanks very much. I'll look into this. Much appreciated!

#662 4 years ago

My Wipe Out sound problem described in post #649 is resolved thanks to a replacement ribbon connector from latenite04 and reseating all connectors on both the sound board and auxiliary sound board. Thanks, pinsiders for the invaluable help! As I get to know Wipe Out now with full sound, I'm realizing that it's a deeper and more fun game than I first thought. The same was true for my World Challenge Soccer that I previously owned. Well worth the money.

#666 4 years ago

As noted in previous posts, I thought my sound issues on my Wipe Out were resolved, but I was incorrect. I sometimes simply lose half the sounds when I start a new game, and the only pattern I can establish is that it happens if I leave the game on and unplayed for a while. I can play for 30 minutes and the sound is fine, but then if I leave the machine running but don't play it for an hour, half the sounds are gone when I start a new game. If I turn it off and try again right away, the same problem remains. However, if I turn it off for as little as 10 minutes and then start a new game, the sounds all come back.

Any ideas? I have already re-seated every connector in the backbox. Could it be heat-related? It seems unlikely--the machine is in a garage where the temperature is currently 70 degrees. And there is a small fan mounted and running in the backbox, which looks to be factory. Any input is welcome. I'm stumped.

#669 4 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Have you tried replacing/re-burning the sound roms?

No, but thanks. I thought that might be a first step.

#670 4 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

On Gottlieb 3 machines (and I guess on Wipe Out), the sound channels come from different sound chips, usually spread on 2 sound cards. They all get mixed together and then amplified. It looks like one of your channel stops working intermittently. It could come from electrolytic capacitors used on the related sound circuit (this is a possibility, not guaranteed!). These electrolytic capacitors likely fail at some point, especially on a 25 year old game. If you know how to unsolder/solder through-hole components on circuit boards, it is worth trying replacing them (and relatively cheap), but you have to be careful not to damage the board. You can also try to identify which sound channel is at fault, to replace only the capacitors from this part of the circuit

Thanks so much. Beyond my skills, but I can hire this done if needed. Sometimes the audio callouts disappear and other times the music, so it's very erratic.

1 month later
#672 4 years ago

Does this help?

WipeOutSwitch (resized).JPGWipeOutSwitch (resized).JPG
1 month later
#688 4 years ago

Going back a few months to problems I was having with intermittent sound problems on my Wipe Out, after ruling out other options I sent the sound boards to coin-op cauldron and, as with other boards I have sent there, they were successfully fixed at an affordable price. Now the game is 100% and some sounds that were also missing are back. Clive does excellent work and communicates well, which I really appreciate. Highly recommended. Here is a summary from Clive of the work he did on the two sound boards, at a cost of $90, including shipping:

Gottlieb System 3 Sound (MA1629) and Aux Sound (MA1770) boards (SN 118579. Wipe Out. Incorrect tones. Locks-up. Link ribbon cable not supplied): All four sound ROMs removed and internal data verified (Vcc +/- 0.25v). AROM2 legs straightened. Signals in, out and around both microprocessor systems and glue logic, -- new 74LS245 bus driver IC and 20-pin chip socket. 2x NOS 6116 Static RAM ICs and 2x 24-pin dual-wipe chip sockets. Signals in, out and around board re-analyzed. Reflowed I/O header pins. Board cleaned up. 3-tie testing (including final in-game 9 hour test).

2 weeks later
#702 4 years ago

Doing a maintenance visit for a World Challenge Soccer game tomorrow. The owner says that everything is working but that the game no longer awards extra balls when it definitely previously did so. The owner is an experienced player so I trust the comment, but it's not logical to me that just the extra ball feature would go away. Does anyone have any insight? Could it be a dedicated switch issue? Could it be that extra ball awards are not available as the high scores climb up and reach a certain point? Any ideas are appreciated.

#704 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Assuming there isn’t a hardware issue (ie broken switch or the like), I know that Gottlieb games get super weird when there’s a memory issue/battery not holding a charge.
My Super Mario Bros only popped up the center target ball save when it felt like it. There was no rhyme or reason. Drove me nuts until I simply did a factory reset. Now it works fine.
On my lights camera action, it was awarding specials like candy. Again, no reason behind it, other than I did a ROM upgrade, and the rules bugged out. After a factory reset, all was well.
So maybe start with that and see where it gets you.

Great advice. Thanks so much!

#705 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Assuming there isn’t a hardware issue (ie broken switch or the like), I know that Gottlieb games get super weird when there’s a memory issue/battery not holding a charge.
My Super Mario Bros only popped up the center target ball save when it felt like it. There was no rhyme or reason. Drove me nuts until I simply did a factory reset. Now it works fine.
On my lights camera action, it was awarding specials like candy. Again, no reason behind it, other than I did a ROM upgrade, and the rules bugged out. After a factory reset, all was well.
So maybe start with that and see where it gets you.

On a related note, I have never replaced a battery on a Gottlieb game. Can anyone tell me where I buy the correct battery for a World Challenge Soccer game and how and where to install it? I've heard that the machine takes a round five-year battery that installs somewhere on one of the boards, but I'm a noob to this whole idea.

#708 4 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Search this page for cr2430 and you'll find the part numbers and directions on changing it. You can also put a battery holder for a cr2032 on instead of the permanently soldered on battery.
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

Superb. Thanks!

1 month later
#712 4 years ago

Having some intermittent trouble with a Wipe Out. At the top of the slalom gate, the audio callout and other behavior repeatedly suggest there is a ball there even when there is not. It only happens once in a while during game play, but once it does it gets "stuck" in that repeated audio callout: "Use the flippers to ski," and the slalom gate pitches back and forth and the flippers shut down, but there is no ball at the slalom gate.

Any ideas? Can anyone verify if there is a physical switch at the top of the slalom gate or an optic sensor that detects the ball?

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Yes there is an optic there. I had trouble with mine a few times. Once the gate was moving the wires back and forth that go to the optic. After that was adjusted it worked for a bit then had trouble again. We played with the alignment and it fixed it for a bit again then finally reflowed the solder to the optic and it has been trouble free for awhile now.

That's a great help. I'll take a good look at that issue. Thanks!

#716 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Gottlieb System 3s had a lot of organic Flux in the solder, I was told awhile back that is is more prone to causing cracked solder joints, not sure if that is correct.

However, the Gottlieb opto boards will often have solder point issues, wires broken off etc, when shopping or fixing these, I always reheat optos. Namely because the way they fastened these to ramps and lanes, sometimes to plastics with those f@ng plastic rivets, I don't want to have to redo them!!!

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 1.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joeschall.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=joeschall and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.