(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,189 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by jtreehorn
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jbovenzi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#980 1 year ago

Hello group! Never owned a System 3, so I'm going to have to learn.

Got a Bell Ringer (just for fun at local shows!). It had no Control Board, Ebay Boston Pinball came through. Had a friend burn a Bell Ringer ROM and powered up the game.

I'm stuck here as I cannot figure out if this a ROM error or a diagnostics code. (It also flashes "Break") I cannot get into the test mode from the one switch inside the right of the coin door ( there is no elaborate Test/Tournament/Volume board to the left).

I do have the manual from PBR and can look up things if necessary. And yes I have seen the Pinwiki on System 3, but am stuck right now.

Hints are appreciated thank you!

867537E3-D43A-43DC-9539-0D9E847E0F76 (resized).jpeg867537E3-D43A-43DC-9539-0D9E847E0F76 (resized).jpeg

#981 1 year ago

Hmmm, no hints by all you experts?

#983 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

There are several revisions of the A1 MPU board. Bell Ringer, being an early Alphanumeric game, uses the early revision System 3 MPU board with a 6116 RAM chip at U3. Verify that the MPU board you have installed has this particular chip. Count the legs. It should have 24 legs.
If you have a later revision board with the 6264 RAM at U3, it'll have 28 legs. As far as my (limited) knowledge goes, this will not work with bell ringer unless a 6116 RAM is installed and the jumpers are changed to accommodate it.

mbaumle Thank you very much for the detailed help!

You are right on the mark with this. The NVRAM installed is indeed a 6264 chip: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/RAMTRON
The board that I have from Boston Pinball is a Revision 5, so I need to contact them to see if I can get the version of the board that will work with Bell Ringer.

Again, thank you!

IMG_3100 (resized).JPGIMG_3100 (resized).JPGIMG_3102 (resized).JPGIMG_3102 (resized).JPG

#985 1 year ago

Also thanks.

I did contact Boston Pinball and am working with him on the solution. As I find out something, I will post it here to help the group.

I am a little confused as I am supposed to do a System Reset - Factory Defaults on the machine. As Bell Ringer only has the one test button, I have pressed it and cannot get into the System Diagnostics. That is the only way I can reset the machine, correct?

The Reset buttons on the Control board and the Sound board do nothing to change my issues.

#986 1 year ago

A little more detail with Bell Ringer. A friend of mine has a Vegas, so we kept the ROMs and swapped A1 Control Boards. Bell Ringer came up with the older Control Board from Vegas with the 6116 RAM. I have a working game now with the original Vegas board.

The Boston board and the Vegas ROM in my friend's Vegas machine kept going Beep, Loop, Beep. Unable to enter test mode and just keep rebooting. His game was working before the board swap. So I suspect that the Boston board might be not working. I am in contact with Boston Pinball to give him all these updates.

#988 1 year ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Stoked to hear to got it figured, Jimmy!
You gonna bring it to CAX?

Ah no. Not completely working yet.

Hoping to bring it to PAGG however. You can do your wagering on that little machine!

#989 1 year ago
Quoted from jbovenzi:

Also thanks.
I did contact Boston Pinball and am working with him on the solution. As I find out something, I will post it here to help the group.
I am a little confused as I am supposed to do a System Reset - Factory Defaults on the machine. As Bell Ringer only has the one test button, I have pressed it and cannot get into the System Diagnostics. That is the only way I can reset the machine, correct?
The Reset buttons on the Control board and the Sound board do nothing to change my issues.

And to figure out the Test Mode on this System 3, that one Test Button goes right into the Test Menu with the working board.

But of course, all you System 3 experts already knew that!

#990 1 year ago

Update to my Bell Ringer issues: Jim did come through and sent a replacement board. This board worked!

mbaumle it looks like the same revision (5) as the other board. I placed the 27512 ROM with the BR code on it (left the jumper at 512) and everything is booting so far. I have other issues with the game not kicking up the ball when the credit button is pressed (set on Free Play), but hope to have these solved as I work with someone local next week.

I appreciate all the help from the group here!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weyburn, SK
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 1.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

3,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Saint-denis-sur-richelieu, QC
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jbovenzi.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=jbovenzi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.