(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#766 3 years ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Hey guys, I have a Gladiators that I want to possibly route in my friend's retro bar, but it looks like the mech system has been gutted from my machine.
It's a European machine with some sort of custom board attached to the door. There is a analogue coin counter in the machine, so the board might be for that.
Can someone have a look at the pics and let me know what I'm up against to get a coin mech working in this?
Also, if anyone has any parts for sale that is need, I'd be interested.
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Might be some kind of coin pulse multiplier or for a custom coin setup or for counting coin drops with hardware counter or something like that.

Gottlieb schematics are pretty well labeled. I would just try and reverse whatever they did back to factory setup.

1 year later
#927 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Boy, that was quick!

I have been busy on the computer =D. The first prototype actually boots and plays. That is a first for a board that complex, I usually screw at least something up, but also a testament to how good the original documentation was. I really like this system 3 hardware and learned some things from it I can apply elsewhere.

Heads-up about the mini fit jr connectors Gottlieb uses... they come in two PCB foot print row spacing sizes 4.2mm and 5.5mm. Gottlieb used 5.5mm row spacing. Make sure you don't buy the wrong ones *doh*.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

2 weeks later
#929 2 years ago

Driver board replacement is for sale $150 + ship.
https://nvram.weebly.com/gtb-system-3-driver-ma-1358.html
ebay.com link: itm

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

You may have noticed Gottlieb put coil flyback diodes on the driver board much like WMS WPC games did. Except they did not stuff the diodes on the PCB and instead put the diodes on the coils. If you ever get curious, don't add them back in if your game uses the filter board. The diode and capacitor on the filter boards cause a voltage differential and all the filtered coils pull in you flip or other coils fire. Filtered coils in my soccer game was both VUKs and saucers.

1 week later
1 week later
#940 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just picked up a Shaq Attaq and the display shows garbage. Someone swapped in a Data East DMD, which I didn’t know was even possible?!
It has some sort of acid damage to it. Can this be repaired or is this DMD toast?
Also looking for a ramp for Shaq Attaq as this one is missing
[quoted image][quoted image]

Some of those traces look like they could be severed.

I would knock off some of the corrosion with a wire brush to see where you are and then make a choice if you want to start patching traces or not. It is probably not worth the effort if a bunch have corroded open.

Your non booting game is probably not connected to the battery damage on the display board.

#942 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The game is booting and playing, it has all the callouts and starts up just fine. The display shows weird images, it looks like it’s outgassing but then I saw the corrosion. Not sure how it happened, but since it’s a Data East maybe it was parted from a game that had an acid damaged MPU in a pinch and someone never cleaned the lingering corrosion.
Since it’s mostly working I’d like to attempt saving it. Best way to test these traces for someone who never done work like this?

Knock off the corrosion. Get the schematic if possible. Dmm set to continuity buzz and check traces in areas of corrosion.

Good visual inspection goes a long way too.

1 week later
#944 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Street level heads, I don't have my manuals in front of me (all my street level sys3s are out on location, like they should be).
Is there any way to turn off Extra Balls on Sys3/SL games? I have a Silver Slugger and Hoops out on location and a tournament I'm TD'ing is requesting no extra balls which I'm not sure I can accommodate off the top of my head. (Of course good fucking luck getting an extra ball on either of those games with how hard I have my games set up)

Maybe try audit 18 to novelty mode. I am guessing this game does not have the tournament mode switch? That is normally how you turn off extra balls.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

3 weeks later
#957 1 year ago
Quoted from pacman11:

Alright dumb question, I'm wondering how to adjust Cue Ball Wizard to a 3 ball game????? Right now the ball just keep coming at ball 15.

15 balls per game sounds like the memory is corrupt, that should be impossible.

Open the coin door. Push the diag button on the left side. You will get a list of options on the dmd. i forget which one you want to pick exactly, but I think the first step of adjustments will ask if you want to do a restore factory settings. Say yes.

Then get back into the test mode and you can choose your options. It will probably default to three ball.

#965 1 year ago
Quoted from MarAlb:

No switches AND No controlled illumination -> strobing of switches and controlled illumination is shared in Gottlieb system 3-> probably the 18Volt supply line is missing. Check the fuse for the 18V line at the transformer assy. The rectifier can be the culprit for blowing the fuse so check this one as well.

his new driver board should have a yellow voltage indicator LED in the top middle, make sure that is turning on.

Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

So.... I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the issue is with my Strikes N' Spares. Everything was working 100% until recently.
Game boots, makes the "bong" sound, both displays work 100% and the General Illumination lights works. Nothing else is working at all.
All of the controlled lights, switches & solenoids DO NOT work at all. This also means that I cannot access the test menu correctly without the flipper buttons or start button working.
Here's what I've done already:
1. Switched the 20 pin ribbon cable for the driver board/MPU with the 20 pin ribbon cable on the display board. Both ribbon cables work fine for the display board but neither work for the Driver board.
2. Purchased a replacement Driver Board and installed it. All of the issues remain regardless of which driver board is installed. The new driver board had LEDs that turn yellow when the game is turned on. (not sure what that means as the original driver board didn't have LEDs on it)
3. Checked the fuses for everything I could that seemed related to the driver board or components used by it. (I'm not sure if there is some master fuse that I'm missing somewhere?)
I've ordered a set of replacement fuses for the entire game and will install them as soon as they arrive, but I don't think this is the issue, based upon everything that the driver board controls not working. (Please someone tell me I'm wrong and "it's likely just a fuse") - lol. Should I be looking into the MPU for issues?
What else should I be checking? Anyone have a similar issue with a system 3? Any help and/or suggestions is really appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

The LEDs on the driver board are just voltage indicators. I think you have one for logic, lamps, and solenoids.

If you have tried two driver boards and new ribbon cables with the same result, the game is likely not communicating properly to the driver board. I think I received your exact symptoms once by bad ribbon cable between the MPU and driver. Game would boot, display showed stuff, but nothing worked, no switches because they drive them from the driver board. In that case it was the ribbon cable was bad. I put a new one in and it started working again.

On the MPU side inspect the ribbon cable pins. Make sure none are bent over. No solder joints are cracked. If you have a logic probe, power up the game and check that every data bit and signal at the MPU ribbon cable pulses like it should, having a spare MPU helps to compare to if you are unsure exactly what each signal should be doing. BD0 - BD8, LDATA, LTSB, LCLR, !MR, LDS important signals leaving MPU J2. I think is !MR signal is floating the driver board will act dead. MPU U14 enabled MPU U7 to send all BD signals to the driver board. I would make sure that is working.

2 weeks later
#974 1 year ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Working on my first System 3 machine and need to re-pin a few connectors. It looks like Gottlieb System 3 uses the 4.2mm Molex minifit connectors. Can anyone confirm that? Want to make sure I order the correct pins and extraction tool.
Thank You

Yes they use the mini fit Jr connector system. These connectors are quite robust. I have some i have cycled hundreds of times and still seem to be okay. Unless you have some plugs cut off, smashed or burnt they are probably okay. Same kind of connectors used on computer mother board and some vlideo card power connectors

If you do replace the pcb socket side keep in mind they are sold in two row spacing, 5.5 vs 4.2mm. You want 5.5mm. The wire side plugs are all the same sized and universal.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

8 months later
#1102 1 year ago

System 3 audio amp aux power supply. MA1722 has an op amp and some extra circuitry that MA1605, the same board, does not. JP2 and JP3 jump over the missing op amp. This board could have stereo, but pretty sure for all games they just mix both channels together (JP1) before the two amplifiers.

Made a replacement pcb. Haven't tested it yet as a MA1605, but it MA1722 should replace MA1605 if you just change the jumpers an remove the op amp. I think the rest of the parts can stay in.

Quite a few dc blocking caps are jumped out on the original board. I suppose they decided it was not needed.
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Wichita, KS
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 899.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.