(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,189 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by jtreehorn
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZEN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 9 years ago

I love them, kinda drawn to them in a wierd way, I seem to always look for them as well, have three now, I think I have owned 4-5...

My fav is Stargate, rules and theme are awesome, some real innovative stuff on sys 3 games as well, not to mention they have the best board system in all of pinball as far as durability.., looking for a gladiators and a wipe out right now.. I never understood the bad rap, but I suppose its what you have mentioned above... your Big Hurt looks nice..

2 years later
#198 7 years ago
Quoted from comment23:

I found an Operation: Thunder for $800. Never played it, but is it worth picking up? I have a Gottlieb Gladiators that I'm pretty fond with...

For 800 get it, its worth it, and its worth more than that when cleaned up, and working properly, just finished mine...! (I too have a Gladiators

3 months later
#217 7 years ago

I own a nos factory sollder sample playfield for Gladiators , the factory flipper mechs have no grommets, agree with Force flow, those are put there likely as a matter of normal maintenance by a tech at some point..

6 months later
#274 7 years ago

Also, that bulb is a 67 bulb flasher, incandescent, you can use 89 flashers if you have leds, but it is a 12v bulb, I am currently working on a cbw and have it apart, that flasher on mine was burnt out, so may just change those while you have them apart.

#277 7 years ago

Here are the diagrams, appears to me that 67 bulb is Sol 19, hence suspect the mosfet at q20 or the diode at D20

20170420_162739 (resized).jpg20170420_162739 (resized).jpg

20170420_175624 (resized).jpg20170420_175624 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#296 6 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone have tips to center and adjust the gladiators moving ramp? Not sure what sw30 actually controls or informs the board

There is a return switch when the rail moves to the right, find that switch loosen the set screw just a bit, then i put in coil test, on the motor and let it travel back and forth , until it hits the switch on the travel to the right each time .

#307 6 years ago
Quoted from davebart5:

Anyone have any thoughts or had a similar situation that they miraculously found a cure? I'm open to all suggestions...

Hard to tell, with Gottliebs you can do some damage if you short coil voltage to the switch matrix, also the lamp matrix and switch matrix share a strobe line, so you can do damage there too. Start with looking at your circuit boards, make sure the lights are blinking, and see if you can get the game into test mode, you will know more then.

#321 6 years ago
Quoted from speederice:

Ball 1 would bounce off the balls, go back through the gate, and hit the outhole switch again. Then it would get kicked back up the trough, hitting the balls again which would release the second ball.

Remember, system 3 games really want to see all the balls to start. the game will start and flash zeros for a while, and look for the balls, but not very hard like a WPC would, some games only fire a coil or two. Make sure your trough switches are working properly in test. In your instance above, it could fully be mechanical as you suspect, that gate has to work right.... davebart has it figured out..

#329 6 years ago

If you decide to put a color dmd or a pin2dmd led display in your gottlieb (stargate:freddie, etc), I made a video on removing the red gel paint from the display. Credit to pinsider nerbflong

1 week later
#358 6 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

Knowing that ColorDMD doesn't support Gottlieb machines, has anyone tried Pin2DMD to make their own Color DMD for Gottlieb pins? I think it might be an interesting thing to try for my Tee'd Off.

#359 6 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

Working on a friends stargate. Backbox LEDs look great. Turn on yesterday and I sometimes get a brief flicker but no back box lights. Fuse f8 tested fine but I put new one in. Nothing. I Checked continuity from light wiring to connector and I think my wiring in back box is fine. Any ideas?

GI relays in the bottom of the game, one for playfield and one for backbox, start there is the fuse is good. I have had a few system 3s where those are very dirty or need adjusting... check the plastic armature to make sure the blades are opening and closing well..

1 year later
#488 5 years ago
Quoted from NvrBABuckeye:

Hi All,
I just picked up my first machine and it is operation thunder. My question is related to the “special” led board lights near the plunger and instructions on the lower playfield. I can’t seam to find any information on those lights. It appears that most system 3 games had them. My “p” is not lighting up but not sure if they light up in order as currently my s,e,c & I are lit. Can anyone help explain the premise behind these lights? Do they light up on all games left to right or random? If a letter is skipped is that normal? At certain times the other unlit letters will flash but the p doesn’t this my reasoning on it possibly being out. Is there any literature explaining these lights out there on any system 3’s? I have been striking out trying to google this topic, possibly I am just not using the correct terms...I am not sure
Thanks in advance

They are controlled lamps in the lamp matrix, they do not fail often. Could be a cold solder joint as mentioned, also could be a broken wire on another lamp in the same column for row, this happens frequently with GYB system3 games..

2 months later
#501 5 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Sorry it took so long to get this to market, but I just released my new style A-26 tournament boards for general sale.
http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=72&controller=product&id_lang=1

Nice job Hans, these kick ass!! I suggest you Gottlieb lovers grab one, nice to have as a spare too..

4 months later
#561 5 years ago

Vegas is fun, man that one saw some sunlight.. not sure I've seen them faded before. I'm guessing one side is pink? 400 for any working game is a great deal, love the rules on vegas.

3 weeks later
#576 4 years ago
Quoted from 2Kaulitz:

Anyone have a idea why freddy pinball its a import has power switch on the back by power cord ? Is that normal

Not normal...

3 months later
#658 4 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

More System 3 questions related to my Wipe Out:
(1) Anyone know of a replacement resistor board available? Original part number is A13 26378. The one I have is pretty crisp and was jumpered by the previous owner--all lights are working well--but I'd prefer to add a replacement if I can.
(2) In the top right corner of the backbox of my Wipe Out there is a fan installed that looks to be factory and the fan spins by hand, but the wires to it were cut by a previous owner. Has anyone else seen this in system 3 games? Any opinions on whether the fan is needed? From the front, all the backbox boards and connectors look to be clean with no sign of heat damage.
Thanks!

I may have a spare board like this ,of you still need it pm me and I can check and see.

5 months later
#715 4 years ago

Gottlieb System 3s had a lot of organic Flux in the solder, I was told awhile back that is is more prone to causing cracked solder joints, not sure if that is correct.

However, the Gottlieb opto boards will often have solder point issues, wires broken off etc, when shopping or fixing these, I always reheat optos. Namely because the way they fastened these to ramps and lanes, sometimes to plastics with those f@ng plastic rivets, I don't want to have to redo them!!!

3 years later
#1182 83 days ago
Quoted from ElCid95:

I’m shopping out an Operation Thunder and the outhole will not work during gameplay but works fine during solenoid test. Any idea of things I should check?

Sounds like the switch is not working properly. Verify it's operation, adjust it first

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 249.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballGeek

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ZEN.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply?tu=ZEN and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.