(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,189 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by jtreehorn
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg

There are 1,189 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.
#901 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Ahem!
[quoted image]

The instruction manual is the first thing a seasoned operator throws out! Duh!

Lights turn on? Good enough to earn money!

#902 2 years ago

Can anyone tell me the height of a strikes N spairs with the head folded down for transportation? Try to see if it will fit in my explorer

#903 2 years ago
Quoted from tyking:

Hello Friends,
I’m in the club with my first DMD pin, a Wipe Out. This one came up for auction in Frederick MD, and I am currently in Washington DC, so I figured I would bid for it because I could pick it up myself pretty easy. I think I’ll post a whole separate post on the online auction learning experience. One of the things I love about these pins is trying to piece together some of their histories, and I try to sleuth around as much as possible to see connect the dots to its current home. For this Wipe Out, correct me if I’m wrong but based upon the coin door mechanism, can I safely say that this pin somehow made it to Europe and back? I looked up “Loontjens Auto” which is on the sticker on the coin door, and it looks like it is a game room supply type of business in the Netherlands. Tyler
[quoted image][quoted image]

That sticker mentions Belgium Franks (bef) and the Dutch guilder (f) and euro for the coin taker, so I think you're right.

2 weeks later
#904 2 years ago

New System 3 ramp availability:

This is the back right corner ramp under the Ski Slope for Gottlieb's Wipeout. I am waiting on metal parts for this one, so the ETA for shipping on this one is mid-December. This is a pre-production photo.
https://rampomatic.com/products/gottlieb-wipeout-back-corner-ramp
261033508_428228418966352_7794889689755460944_n (resized).jpg261033508_428228418966352_7794889689755460944_n (resized).jpg

Also, Teed Off ramps are available now in 4 colors: https://rampomatic.com/products/gottlieb-teed-off-main-plastic-ramp-29825

1aca059368c45e3f018b45ef936776d5f3d4ffe3 (resized).jpg1aca059368c45e3f018b45ef936776d5f3d4ffe3 (resized).jpg

#905 2 years ago

Hi all! Picked up a non working Deadly Weapon. I was able to get the playfield and backbox GI to work but the game will not boot. I replaced the battery and tested the voltage from the power supply. LED's on both boards are constantly on, not blinking. Any suggestions?

#906 2 years ago

Anyone know what the correct voltage for System 3 flippers is? I'm still struggling with the weak flipper issue on my Stargate and my flippers appear to be measuring at about 80 to 90 VDC unless I'm measuring it wrong. Red is on a flipper lug and black is going to ground.

PXL_20211204_165221009 (resized).jpgPXL_20211204_165221009 (resized).jpg
#907 2 years ago

Bump. Still unsure what the correct voltage is supposed to be. Could someone please take a measurement of their flipper and let me know what it is on their game?

1 month later
#908 2 years ago

Now in stock: Wipeout hidden back right ramp! Please read the note on the product page as this ramp was made differently from OEM spec to help eliminate the extremely thin area that always breaks where the wireform mounts.

https://rampomatic.com/products/gottlieb-wipeout-back-corner-ramp?_pos=1&_sid=ee55a1207&_ss=r

20220109_131029 (resized).jpg20220109_131029 (resized).jpg
#909 2 years ago

Quick tech question guys. My lights camera action always boots to the test mode when its turned on. I hit the slam tilt and it exits test mode and the game plays fine otherwise. I would like this fixed to be able to operate the game. This game has a boston pinball MPU in it that has NVRAM and the other settings seem to be saving so I think its working ok. Thanks to any suggestions.

#910 2 years ago
Quoted from Ronnie1114:

Quick tech question guys. My lights camera action always boots to the test mode when its turned on. I hit the slam tilt and it exits test mode and the game plays fine otherwise. I would like this fixed to be able to operate the game. This game has a boston pinball MPU in it that has NVRAM and the other settings seem to be saving so I think its working ok. Thanks to any suggestions.

Flaky coin door switch maybe?

#911 2 years ago

I don't know why I had such trouble finding this thread! Happy to be a part of the club.

Anybody with a Silver Slugger out there who might have a picture of the switch matrix I could take a look at?

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg
#912 2 years ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I don't know why I had such trouble finding this thread! Happy to be a part of the club.
Anybody with a Silver Slugger out there who might have a picture of the switch matrix I could take a look at?
[quoted image]

Does this not have the info you need? https://pinitech.com/switch_database.php?name=Gottlieb_Silver_Slugger

#913 2 years ago

Well I'll be damned. Thanks for introducing me to a new website!

I'm waiting on a manual, but I'm having an issue where the closure of the shooter lane switch is making the left scoop (or left hole) fire incessantly. All the diodes on the boards check out and there isn't any continuity where there shouldn't be, so I'm starting to build up my theories.

4 weeks later
#914 2 years ago

Thought I would post here too….

On my teed off. Fuse f23 is for the plunger gate. Fuse blows when game is powered on. I swapped the driver board with a board known to be 100% - so I’ve ruled that out. Coil is new, and tests 100%. There is not a diode on the coil - seems that’s on the driver board according to the schematic.

Rollover switch tests fine and seems to function fine as the corresponding flasher does flash when rollover switch is closed.

(I will add - if the rollover switch is disconnected - the fuse does NOT blow)

Not sure what else it could be….anyone here know if there’s an additional transistor or diode etc for this coil on a secondary board? I can’t see that there is reviewing the schematic.

Appreciate your thoughts!

Thx
Pete

182270B6-A22E-4753-A515-12572D0FD97B (resized).jpeg182270B6-A22E-4753-A515-12572D0FD97B (resized).jpeg32788EDF-E772-4D5D-B39A-32BE57A0334D (resized).jpeg32788EDF-E772-4D5D-B39A-32BE57A0334D (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#915 2 years ago

Just joined the club by purchasing a Stargate, one of my favorite pins from my childhood. A nice trip down memory lane. Has anyone tried installing a color dmd in their Stargate? I've never been super hot about color dmds but the preview video has me interested. https://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-stargate-pinball-machine/

#916 2 years ago

Joining the club with the purchase of a Surf n Safari.... I'm just draw to it.
I couldn't stand Gottlieb as a teen in the 90s, but as a adult.... I love some of the interesting things they did.

(Also, got a soft spot for 80b games. Already own Gold Wings and Hot Shots)

#917 2 years ago
Quoted from bdw85:

Just joined the club by purchasing a Stargate, one of my favorite pins from my childhood. A nice trip down memory lane. Has anyone tried installing a color dmd in their Stargate? I've never been super hot about color dmds but the preview video has me interested. https://shop.colordmd.com/colordmd-replacement-display-for-stargate-pinball-machine/

My LCD display was just delivered today. I have family in town so not sure when I will get to install it. With SG you either have to find a new clear speaker panel or remove the red from the existing.

#918 2 years ago
Quoted from locustgrovepin:

My LCD display was just delivered today. I have family in town so not sure when I will get to install it. With SG you either have to find a new clear speaker panel or remove the red from the existing.

I've got an svg for the layout of the speaker panel plastic in this google drive share if that's any help.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u2rDHZh6YPf9itBqIEY6qAJOg08sc8jb

#919 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

I've got an svg for the layout of the speaker panel plastic in this google drive share if that's any help.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1u2rDHZh6YPf9itBqIEY6qAJOg08sc8jb

Thank you, but unfortunately I wouldn’t know where to begin. Lol

#920 2 years ago
Quoted from bdw85:

Got around to installing mine the other day and it is awesome. What a difference!

1 week later
#921 2 years ago

So, I've re-skinned a Strikes 'N Spares to a Big Lebowski bowler as a couple others have also done already. (Don't worry, I can easily revert back as the cabinet still has the original artwork). I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change out the sound ROMs to a custom set or any interface that I could use to do that?

I want to change the call outs and music to TBL tracks, but couldn't locate any threads where this has been done on a System 3. Anyone seen this done before on a System 3?

tbl (resized).jpegtbl (resized).jpeg
#922 2 years ago
Quoted from ClarkGriswold:

So, I've re-skinned a Strikes 'N Spares to a Big Lebowski bowler as a couple others have also done already. (Don't worry, I can easily revert back as the cabinet still has the original artwork). I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to change out the sound ROMs to a custom set or any interface that I could use to do that?
I want to change the call outs and music to TBL tracks, but couldn't locate any threads where this has been done on a System 3. Anyone seen this done before on a System 3?[quoted image]

Check out this link
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-alternative-sound-audio-gottlieb-system-3-#post-6817466

And this youtube video. There's more info in the comments on YouTube

#923 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Check out this link
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stargate-alternative-sound-audio-gottlieb-system-3-#post-6817466
And this youtube video. There's more info in the comments on YouTube

Thank you for the link.

#924 2 years ago

Just picked up my first System 3, a Caribbean Cruise! I've got a bit of experience with system 80 as well as Gottlieb EMs. This is my first experience with a system 3 and there seems to be some pretty cool tech under the hood. I've never seen self adjusting switches before and the way it deactivates a stuck coil to prevent it from burning up is genius! I also appreciate that almost everything has it's own fuse.

IMG_20220322_220625957 (resized).jpgIMG_20220322_220625957 (resized).jpg

I had to do a bit of work to fix the display board and some general cleaning and rubber replacement when I got it. The playfield is almost perfect and looks like it got very little use.

#926 2 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

[quoted image]

Boy, that was quick!

#927 2 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Boy, that was quick!

I have been busy on the computer =D. The first prototype actually boots and plays. That is a first for a board that complex, I usually screw at least something up, but also a testament to how good the original documentation was. I really like this system 3 hardware and learned some things from it I can apply elsewhere.

Heads-up about the mini fit jr connectors Gottlieb uses... they come in two PCB foot print row spacing sizes 4.2mm and 5.5mm. Gottlieb used 5.5mm row spacing. Make sure you don't buy the wrong ones *doh*.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

2 weeks later
#928 1 year ago

New pioneer 4" speakers in my Gladiators.

20220411_105117 (resized).jpg20220411_105117 (resized).jpg20220411_105128 (resized).jpg20220411_105128 (resized).jpg
#929 1 year ago

Driver board replacement is for sale $150 + ship.
https://nvram.weebly.com/gtb-system-3-driver-ma-1358.html
ebay.com link: itm

s-l1600 (resized).jpgs-l1600 (resized).jpg

You may have noticed Gottlieb put coil flyback diodes on the driver board much like WMS WPC games did. Except they did not stuff the diodes on the PCB and instead put the diodes on the coils. If you ever get curious, don't add them back in if your game uses the filter board. The diode and capacitor on the filter boards cause a voltage differential and all the filtered coils pull in you flip or other coils fire. Filtered coils in my soccer game was both VUKs and saucers.

1 week later
#930 1 year ago

I recently purchased a Lights Camera Action! I am not familiar with the game, but I noticed during game play that the electric motor that rotates the small playfield in the upper-left area of the game runs continuously during game play. Is that normal, or do I have an electrical/electronic issue to resolve?

#931 1 year ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I recently purchased a Lights Camera Action! I am not familiar with the game, but I noticed during game play that the electric motor that rotates the small playfield in the upper-left area of the game runs continuously during game play. Is that normal, or do I have an electrical/electronic issue to resolve?

The rotating playfield section should only rotate at key moments in the game.

#932 1 year ago
Quoted from FiatsRUs:

I recently purchased a Lights Camera Action! I am not familiar with the game, but I noticed during game play that the electric motor that rotates the small playfield in the upper-left area of the game runs continuously during game play. Is that normal

Completely normal. The motor will run continuously during gameplay. There's a small clutch between the motor and the rotating playfield that allows the motor to keep running, even though the playfield is being held static by the small armature.

#933 1 year ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

New pioneer 4" speakers in my Gladiators.

How do they sound? Love the music in Gladiators.

#935 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

How do they sound? Love the music in Gladiators.

Gladiators sounds great with an external subwoofer!!

#936 1 year ago
Quoted from nerbflong:

Gladiators sounds great with an external subwoofer!!

I tried one but my game resets when the ear-splitting tilt warnings go off.

1 week later
#937 1 year ago

Hello all! I sell an auxiliary power supply board ma1772 if anyone interested:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/135079

#938 1 year ago

Just picked up a Shaq Attaq and the display shows garbage. Someone swapped in a Data East DMD, which I didn’t know was even possible?!

It has some sort of acid damage to it. Can this be repaired or is this DMD toast?

Also looking for a ramp for Shaq Attaq as this one is missing

93DB9157-14BE-4261-9873-113F080BE924.jpeg93DB9157-14BE-4261-9873-113F080BE924.jpegD4A5619A-8DC2-477C-A2F5-1E7FCEA41329.jpegD4A5619A-8DC2-477C-A2F5-1E7FCEA41329.jpeg
#939 1 year ago

the display itself is the same regardless of manufacturer. There's corrosion on the display? That's weird. Probably not worth repairing though, just get another cheap dmd

#940 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Just picked up a Shaq Attaq and the display shows garbage. Someone swapped in a Data East DMD, which I didn’t know was even possible?!
It has some sort of acid damage to it. Can this be repaired or is this DMD toast?
Also looking for a ramp for Shaq Attaq as this one is missing

Some of those traces look like they could be severed.

I would knock off some of the corrosion with a wire brush to see where you are and then make a choice if you want to start patching traces or not. It is probably not worth the effort if a bunch have corroded open.

Your non booting game is probably not connected to the battery damage on the display board.

#941 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

the display itself is the same regardless of manufacturer. There's corrosion on the display? That's weird. Probably not worth repairing though, just get another cheap dmd

Quoted from barakandl:

Some of those traces look like they could be severed.
I would knock off some of the corrosion with a wire brush to see where you are and then make a choice if you want to start patching traces or not. It is probably not worth the effort if a bunch have corroded open.
Your non booting game is probably not connected to the battery damage on the display board.

The game is booting and playing, it has all the callouts and starts up just fine. The display shows weird images, it looks like it’s outgassing but then I saw the corrosion. Not sure how it happened, but since it’s a Data East maybe it was parted from a game that had an acid damaged MPU in a pinch and someone never cleaned the lingering corrosion.

Since it’s mostly working I’d like to attempt saving it. Best way to test these traces for someone who never done work like this?

#942 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The game is booting and playing, it has all the callouts and starts up just fine. The display shows weird images, it looks like it’s outgassing but then I saw the corrosion. Not sure how it happened, but since it’s a Data East maybe it was parted from a game that had an acid damaged MPU in a pinch and someone never cleaned the lingering corrosion.
Since it’s mostly working I’d like to attempt saving it. Best way to test these traces for someone who never done work like this?

Knock off the corrosion. Get the schematic if possible. Dmm set to continuity buzz and check traces in areas of corrosion.

Good visual inspection goes a long way too.

1 week later
#943 1 year ago

Street level heads, I don't have my manuals in front of me (all my street level sys3s are out on location, like they should be).

Is there any way to turn off Extra Balls on Sys3/SL games? I have a Silver Slugger and Hoops out on location and a tournament I'm TD'ing is requesting no extra balls which I'm not sure I can accommodate off the top of my head. (Of course good fucking luck getting an extra ball on either of those games with how hard I have my games set up)

#944 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

Street level heads, I don't have my manuals in front of me (all my street level sys3s are out on location, like they should be).
Is there any way to turn off Extra Balls on Sys3/SL games? I have a Silver Slugger and Hoops out on location and a tournament I'm TD'ing is requesting no extra balls which I'm not sure I can accommodate off the top of my head. (Of course good fucking luck getting an extra ball on either of those games with how hard I have my games set up)

Maybe try audit 18 to novelty mode. I am guessing this game does not have the tournament mode switch? That is normally how you turn off extra balls.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#945 1 year ago

No tournament mode switch on the Alphanumeric System 3 games. But switching the game to novelty mode disables extra balls and awards points instead.

#947 1 year ago

Hoops can be set up a number of ways. I had my Hoops in a Stern Pro Circuit event several years ago. I had EB's set to award the current Hang Time Bonus, and I had Specials set to award 1 million points. I also changed EB to light at 60 baskets and Special to light at 80 baskets. Worked so well that it is still set up like that to this day!

#948 1 year ago
Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Hoops can be set up a number of ways. I had my Hoops in a Stern Pro Circuit event several years ago. I had EB's set to award the current Hang Time Bonus, and I had Specials set to award 1 million points. I also changed EB to light at 60 baskets and Special to light at 80 baskets. Worked so well that it is still set up like that to this day!

I've got the ol' Covid19 and I will no longer be the one setting up the game, AND the manual is in the game on location. Any chance you can send me a PM and give me a little more info on how to tell the person setting up the game to get it like that?

#949 1 year ago
Quoted from radial_head:

I've got the ol' Covid19 and I will no longer be the one setting up the game, AND the manual is in the game on location. Any chance you can send me a PM and give me a little more info on how to tell the person setting up the game to get it like that?

PM sent!

1 week later
#950 1 year ago

On my Barb Wire the autoplunge during multiball takes forever to fire. Is there a setting I'm missing to shorten the time for the autoplunge?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
2,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
There are 1,189 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply/page/19 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.