(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 894 posts
  • 215 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by tyking
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111C1E82-8BAB-4C91-A3F5-F93DB182C945 (resized).jpeg
69BBA649-4FDB-40D9-9A31-A9F3D1EF9691 (resized).jpeg
20210607_071101 (resized).jpg
PXL_20210607_005439032 (resized).jpg
20210510_121340 (resized).jpg
20210427_165401 (resized).jpg
20210417_162709 (resized).jpg
20210416_092147 (resized).jpg
20210409_165134 (resized).jpg
091CA863-5C7C-4E8B-9A1E-C2B92D2CCB59 (resized).jpeg
7C377E70-4B6B-42C4-9EF1-A7FC94DBB4A8 (resized).jpeg
AEE566EA-C79D-4D60-BF54-99575F1E313C (resized).jpeg
4B7F88C4-582D-46CB-959A-A6FED66F9560 (resized).jpeg
F78B5131-ACA7-48E5-95BF-5657AA5F1CC1 (resized).jpeg
4487F5A9-5C97-4979-8526-5F370D98DD11 (resized).jpeg
925FE237-CCCB-4419-AFB6-3BE23BD278BD (resized).jpeg

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 18.
#751 1 year ago

Installed instruction cards from Mr_Tantrum this afternoon in LCA. Looks great!

99581E2F-AD9B-48AD-94E5-4D8155663688 (resized).jpeg
#752 1 year ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Installed instruction cards from mr_tantrum this afternoon in LCA. Looks great![quoted image]

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

#753 1 year ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

These are nice - will have to get a set for my LCA soon.

#754 1 year ago

Greetings Everyone,

This is Rob from Pinshakers and I have some good news for you. We are getting ready to release the next version of our shaker kits and they will be compatible with most of the Gottlieb System 3 lineup! Beta testing was completed on a Stargate and the results are amazing.

An official announcement will go out as soon as the kits are released. In the meantime we need your help. Since the manuals for Gottlieb are unavailable for download, we have no idea what the trigger names are for each machine title. If you happen to have a manual for one of the machines in this line-up, could you please PM or email us the solenoid list. It should be located on the page for "Vll Parts Information" in a small section called "Solenoid, Driver Functions/Locations". That lists all of the solenoids/flashlamps and their names. Our email address is [email protected] in case you are unable to PM images on pinside.

Please do not post any images of the manual here in the forum. They are copyrighted material and we want to respect that. We will not post or distribute the images you send us and they will be deleted once we get the information we need in order to complete the user manuals for the shaker kits.

Here is a list of all the machines that will be compatible with our shaker kits upon release:

Barb Wire
Cactus Jack's
Car Hop
Class of 1812
Cue Ball Wizard
Deadly Weapon
Frank Thomas' Big Hurt
Freddy A Nightmare on Elm Street
Gladiators
Hoops
Lights...Camera...Action!
Mario Andretti
Operation: Thunder
Rescue 911
Shaq Attaq
Silver Slugger
Stargate
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Bros.
Surf 'n Safari
Tee'd Off
Title Fight
Vegas
Waterworld
Wipe Out
World Challenge Soccer

Thank you so much for your assistance, we can't wait to get these kits out to you guys!

Best Regards,

Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC
www.pinshakers.com

#755 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Greetings Everyone,
This is Rob from Pinshakers and I have some good news for you. We are getting ready to release the next version of our shaker kits and they will be compatible with the entire Gottlieb System 3 lineup! Beta testing was completed on a Stargate and the results are amazing.
An official announcement will go out as soon as the kits are released. In the meantime we need your help. Since the manuals for Gottlieb are unavailable for download, we have no idea what the trigger names are for each machine title. If you happen to have a manual for one of the machines in this line-up, could you please PM or email us the solenoid list. It should be located on the page for "Vll Parts Information" in a small section called "Solenoid, Driver Functions/Locations". That lists all of the solenoids/flashlamps and their names. Our email address is [email protected] in case you are unable to PM images on pinside.
Please do not post any images of the manual here in the forum. They are copyrighted material and we want to respect that. We will not post or distribute the images you send us and they will be deleted once we get the information we need in order to complete the user manuals for the shaker kits.
Here is a list of all the machines that will be compatible with our shaker kits upon release:
Barb Wire
Cactus Jack's
Car Hop
Class of 1812
Cue Ball Wizard
Deadly Weapon
Frank Thomas' Big Hurt
Gladiators
Hoops
Mario Andretti
Rescue 911
Shaq Attaq
Silver Slugger
Stargate
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Bros.
Surf 'n Safari
Tee'd Off
Title Fight
Vegas
Waterworld
Wipe Out
World Challenge Soccer
Thank you so much for your assistance, we can't wait to get these kits out to you guys!
Best Regards,
Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC
www.pinshakers.com

This is so damn awesome! Can't wait to hear some feedback about these.

#756 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

entire Gottlieb System 3 lineup

Quoted from robgo777:

Here is a list of all the machines that will be compatible with our shaker kits upon release

I do not see Nudge it nor Bell Ringer listed. Therefore, one of these statements is incorrect.

#757 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

could you please PM or email us the solenoid list

Sent you some info for Gladiators.

#758 1 year ago

Just played a CBW today that was missing the hard to find red horseshoe plastic and wanted to show the replacement part they made. Pretty good i thought.

20200610_144517 (resized).jpg20200610_144524 (resized).jpg20200610_144530 (resized).jpg20200610_144538 (resized).jpg
#759 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I do not see Nudge it nor Bell Ringer listed. Therefore, one of these statements is incorrect.

Thanks for the catch, yeah we aren't doing the redemption games.

Best Regards,

Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC
www.pinshakers.com

#760 1 year ago

Hey yall,
I just got a Deadly Weapon this weekend , but no manual. I need to replace several of the white standing targets on the right-side. Does anyone know the part number for these?
thanks

#761 1 year ago

Made a deal on a cactus Jack's--which was originally supposed to be my first SS game but just never came to fruition--and will be driving 8.5 hours to go get it very soon.

Seems a lot of people are pretty down on it but I'm not sure why. Because it's obnoxious? Left ramp scores too much and renders other shots pointless? Any input? Tbh I've never even played one but I've got a soft spot for it and I'm excited as hell to bring it home. I think my kids are gonna go bonkers.

Screenshot_20200615-092648 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#762 1 year ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Made a deal on a cactus Jack's--which was originally supposed to be my first SS game but just never came to fruition--and will be driving 8.5 hours to go get it very soon.
Seems a lot of people are pretty down on it but I'm not sure why. Because it's obnoxious? Left ramp scores too much and renders other shots pointless? Any input? Tbh I've never even played one but I've got a soft spot for it and I'm excited as hell to bring it home. I think my kids are gonna go bonkers.
[quoted image]

Congrats on buying one. Don't worry about what others think, its a great family pin. It has an easy to achieve two ball multiball, and the dancing/chatting cacti are really entertaining. Overall its a great family game. I would've held on to mine longer, but I have a small collection, so after a while it was time to trade it towards something else. But we definitely had fun with it while it was here.

#763 1 year ago

It'll be part of an (eventual) 8 pin lineup (6 currently downstairs), so I'm not worried about it being shallow compared to 'some' games. Generally I don't care about the overall opinion on things either, but I was just curious on what people seemed to dislike so much about it. The light show, the dancing cacti, the quirky music, and overall what I've seen of the gameplay all look good to me. I'm excited to add it to the collection. It came highly recommended to me from several people.

#764 1 year ago

Help please, I have 5 or 6 system 3's in my collection. Just added SF2 this week , here is the odd thing. Left flipper works fine in game play, but it will not work in modes where you select something, like multiball or 10 million, right flipper works fine. I cant get in to check the switch matrix or testing because I cant use the left flipper to select test set ups?? Anyone had this happen or have any idea.. thanks-

1 week later
#765 1 year ago

Hey guys, I have a Gladiators that I want to possibly route in my friend's retro bar, but it looks like the mech system has been gutted from my machine.

It's a European machine with some sort of custom board attached to the door. There is a analogue coin counter in the machine, so the board might be for that.

Can someone have a look at the pics and let me know what I'm up against to get a coin mech working in this?

Also, if anyone has any parts for sale that is need, I'd be interested.

Thanks!

IMG_20200712_111249 (resized).jpgIMG_20200712_111410 (resized).jpgIMG_20200712_111325 (resized).jpgIMG_20200712_111453 (resized).jpg
#766 1 year ago
Quoted from Tranquilize:

Hey guys, I have a Gladiators that I want to possibly route in my friend's retro bar, but it looks like the mech system has been gutted from my machine.
It's a European machine with some sort of custom board attached to the door. There is a analogue coin counter in the machine, so the board might be for that.
Can someone have a look at the pics and let me know what I'm up against to get a coin mech working in this?
Also, if anyone has any parts for sale that is need, I'd be interested.
Thanks![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Might be some kind of coin pulse multiplier or for a custom coin setup or for counting coin drops with hardware counter or something like that.

Gottlieb schematics are pretty well labeled. I would just try and reverse whatever they did back to factory setup.

1 week later
#767 1 year ago

Hi guys.
I'm trying to put an operation thunder back to life.
It was used as spare for other pinballs. I have all the boards, all the playfield parts.
But, no wire harness from transformer panel to playboard. No backbox.

It came with a transformer/power supply and the matching wire harness, that didn't match the schematic for operation thunder. So I suspect back then that was a replacement from a donor machine.
I manage to put back all the boards, and I got all bootup and with some sound.

When I try to reconnect the display I realised that the transformer was indeed from another machine, but sadly from a System3 with a DMD display. So I dont have the 36V and the 9V for the alphanumeric display.

I'm having a hard time getting a transformer with the correct output.

Is it possible to rewire a System3 power supply/transformer in a way that allows me to connect the alphanumeric display?.
Maybe someone has an idea and can point me with some resources.

Regards

#769 1 year ago

Guys, a friend of mine broke his Teed Off ramp, so I am going to be making him a new one at some point...and I stress the "at some point" part. Just wanted to see if there would be interest in running some of these in clear and yellow on top of the stock red? I hesitate to offer green, as I have not done green before and I hear it doesn't come out great. The interest level here will help me determine what materials I will use to build the mold.

#770 1 year ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Guys, a friend of mine broke his Teed Off ramp, so I am going to be making him a new one at some point...and I stress the "at some point" part. Just wanted to see if there would be interest in running some of these in clear and yellow on top of the stock red? I hesitate to offer green, as I have not done green before and I hear it doesn't come out great. The interest level here will help me determine what materials I will use to build the mold.

Even though I think green would be the best color, yellow would be kind of cool. Never knew why it was red in the first place.

20170315_133835 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#771 1 year ago

Picked up a Gottlieb Vegas recently. Cleaned under all the inserts, added comet LEDs, new rubbers. Digging it so far. Love all the pink and the flashers in the backbox. Still trying to figure out the scoring. I wish ipdb had a manual to download.

Get outrageous, play Vegas

20200727_123307.jpg20200727_123325.jpg20200803_205637.jpg20200803_205644.jpg20200803_205626.jpg
#772 1 year ago

I've never actually seen a Vegas before, and yours looks to be in fantastic shape!

#773 1 year ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Picked up a Gottlieb Vegas recently. Cleaned under all the inserts, added comet LEDs, new rubbers. Digging it so far. Love all the pink and the flashers in the backbox. Still trying to figure out the scoring. I wish ipdb had a manual to download.
Get outrageous, play Vegas
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Very nice Vegas. PM me your email so I could send you a copy of the manual.

#774 1 year ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

Very nice Vegas. PM me your email so I could send you a copy of the manual.

Thanks man. A pinsider hooked me up already.

#775 1 year ago
Quoted from fireball2:

Uncle Pinball talks Title Fight and those Gottlieb/Premier "street level" games!

Nice! Love my Title Fight too. I got this about 3 years ago as a basket case. All of the playfield parts were in a drywall bucket. A previous owner was going to do a restoration and got in over their head. I haven't had any trouble with it since getting it back together (still a few leftover posts to find homes for, tho!). The cab is pretty faded, some of the boxer body parts are missing, and there's some pf wear. Some day I'll tackle those issues, but have been enjoying playing it as-is for a while now.

title fight (resized).jpg
#776 1 year ago
Quoted from robgo777:

Greetings Everyone,
This is Rob from Pinshakers and I have some good news for you. We are getting ready to release the next version of our shaker kits and they will be compatible with most of the Gottlieb System 3 lineup! Beta testing was completed on a Stargate and the results are amazing.
Barb Wire
Cactus Jack's
Car Hop
Class of 1812
Cue Ball Wizard
Deadly Weapon
Frank Thomas' Big Hurt
Gladiators
Hoops
Mario Andretti
Rescue 911
Shaq Attaq
Silver Slugger
Stargate
Street Fighter II
Super Mario Bros.
Surf 'n Safari
Tee'd Off
Title Fight
Vegas
Waterworld
Wipe Out
World Challenge Soccer
Best Regards,
Robert Goebel
Pinshakers LLC
www.pinshakers.com

Caribbean Cruise is a SYS3 as well!

Guys, what’s a SYS3 foreign coin door worth? I’ve got one and have no use for it. Should I just throw it on Fleecebay?

#777 1 year ago
Quoted from finalquest:

Hi guys.
I'm trying to put an operation thunder back to life.
It was used as spare for other pinballs. I have all the boards, all the playfield parts.
But, no wire harness from transformer panel to playboard. No backbox.
It came with a transformer/power supply and the matching wire harness, that didn't match the schematic for operation thunder. So I suspect back then that was a replacement from a donor machine.
I manage to put back all the boards, and I got all bootup and with some sound.
When I try to reconnect the display I realised that the transformer was indeed from another machine, but sadly from a System3 with a DMD display. So I dont have the 36V and the 9V for the alphanumeric display.
I'm having a hard time getting a transformer with the correct output.
Is it possible to rewire a System3 power supply/transformer in a way that allows me to connect the alphanumeric display?.
Maybe someone has an idea and can point me with some resources.
Regards

I have a spare transformer from a Night Moves Sys80b will that work?

1 month later
#778 1 year ago

Went from Pic1 (beeping and flashing DMD) to Pic2 (switch short return 5 and 6).

This is after replacing the System 3 control board (bad U11and caps 20/21) to a new board with NVRAM.

Already know I have a bad T relay (tilt) someone messed with it (tilt bob missing too). Can that be related to the switch short return message? Or should I be checking something else?

Screenshot_20200914-175321 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200914-175337 (resized).png
1 week later
#779 12 months ago
Quoted from JodyG:

did you know that hollywood heat ramp can be a substitute and perfect fit for teed off

#780 12 months ago
Quoted from pinostalgia:

did you know that hollywood heat ramp can be a substitute and perfect fit for teed off

It would not be a perfect fit, because the middle of the teed off ramp is solid. But I do plan on making the teed off ramp soon.

#781 11 months ago

Ok I unplugged A1J5 (controls 8 switch matrix, slam, TILT and test switch) at the control board and it bypasses the switch short return 0 went away. It boots, DMD registers normal and all lamps light. No sound though and can't start a game or use the test switch (start button still flashing).

There is no tilt bob in this machine and the plug is just sitting there getting power. Think that's it?

image-20200926_171759 (resized).jpg
#782 11 months ago

Anyone ever had a sys3 startup, do attract, then freeze some of the controlled lamps locked on? In attract or a game there are additional random lights + 2 full columns.

In test it locks on to 2 (columns) of the lamp matrix. Is this bad sockets/bad diodes or driver/MPU? Game actually plays fine you just dont have control lamps.

Trying to figure out how to troubleshoot. I tested the related transistors on driver board and they seem fine.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#783 11 months ago

I'm having some flipper issues on my Stargate. I rebuilt the flipper, and now it's *weaker* than before. I'm not really sure where to start looking next. I started a thread about it here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/help-flipper-weaker-on-stargate-after-rebuild-gottlieb-system-3

3 weeks later
#784 11 months ago

Scored a nice Lights, Camera, Action. Troubleshooting things and game starts up but not ball launch, no flipper power, no pops or anything registering points.
I changed solenoid fuse, got all switches checked and fixed, am I missing a bad fuse?

#785 11 months ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Troubleshooting things and game starts up but not ball launch, no flipper power, no pops or anything registering points.

Check all the trough switches in switch test, and/or make sure you have all 3 balls in the trough. Early system 3 games won’t perform a ball search, and they won’t give you any notification that one might be missing. It’ll start a game, but do literally nothing after that if it doesn’t sense all 3 balls in it.

I know the 3rd leg of those Gottlieb switches tends to corrode, so give them a good clean while you’re at it. It could be the root of a ball not being detected.

2 weeks later
#786 10 months ago

I am looking to buy a street level game in the Midwest if anyone has one they are thinking on selling. Silver Slugger, Deadly Weapon, Title Fight, ...possibly other system 3 projects.
Thanks!

#787 10 months ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am looking to buy a street level game in the Midwest if anyone has one they are thinking on selling. Silver Slugger, Deadly Weapon, Title Fight, ...possibly other system 3 projects.
Thanks!

Deadly Weapon for $1400 on STL Craigslist.

#788 10 months ago

Not bad but, man that’s a bit further than I really want to travel. If someone can deliver it to Lou or Cincy, or has anything closer, I would consider it. Also I’m really leaning towards Silver Slugger at this point.

#789 10 months ago

Looking for some advice on my Strikes n Spares game, was working fine then one day, nothing. No power or game functions, did some poking around, have 120v in the service outlet, 0v in bill validator outlet. Some my guesses now are:
a. Bad fuse holder on primary power fuse
b. On/off switch went bad,
Or ?

04CC9551-6DCB-4989-BB17-51A30D365DF1 (resized).jpeg2420C030-9C62-42B9-9423-107CDC6D4F5B (resized).jpeg6E4ADAD7-DF91-4F1B-9913-BC4F8262548A (resized).jpeg7F06E72E-0CBF-465C-8AFE-8B4C9B2F0A98 (resized).jpegEF5AC454-FEB9-4D25-9F86-B54C655EDBF5 (resized).jpeg
#790 10 months ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Scored a nice Lights, Camera, Action. Troubleshooting things and game starts up but not ball launch, no flipper power, no pops or anything registering points.
I changed solenoid fuse, got all switches checked and fixed, am I missing a bad fuse?

Hope you get LCA straightened out. I enjoy mine.

#791 10 months ago

yeah,got some great advice and changed out a problem coil and did about 10 switch adjustments, only thing that is still 'grinding my gears' is the way it does a draw in attract mode but i have all attract and messages turned to off setting?

Quoted from mbaumle:

Check all the trough switches in switch test, and/or make sure you have all 3 balls in the trough. Early system 3 games won’t perform a ball search, and they won’t give you any notification that one might be missing. It’ll start a game, but do literally nothing after that if it doesn’t sense all 3 balls in it.
I know the 3rd leg of those Gottlieb switches tends to corrode, so give them a good clean while you’re at it. It could be the root of a ball not being detected.

#792 10 months ago

I recently moved a Rescue 911 an when I boot up I get a "tilt switch closed, all credits erased" message. I can't seem to find where the tilt is occurring. If I close the "roll over" slam switch inside the cabinet, the game displays "SLAM" then will boot properly. Am I missing something?

#793 10 months ago

Ok, got LCA working great, need to find out how to stop backglass gunfight when not being played,

Got Strikes N spares powering up, but both DMDs are not working, sound is there, fuses I can find are good, is there a common board that goes?

#794 10 months ago
Quoted from Friengineer:

I recently moved a Rescue 911 an when I boot up I get a "tilt switch closed, all credits erased" message. I can't seem to find where the tilt is occurring. If I close the "roll over" slam switch inside the cabinet, the game displays "SLAM" then will boot properly. Am I missing something?

Did you check the tilt mechanism above the tilt bob? The one with a pinball in it?

#795 10 months ago
Quoted from oropuro:

Ok, got LCA working great, need to find out how to stop backglass gunfight when not being played,

As far as I know, you can’t stop it. You can turn attract sounds off though, so it’ll do it “silently” but you’ll still hear the mechanical clunks of the gunfight going on.

Edit: what version of ROMs are you using? (Specifically, what’s the checksum of your ROMs? There’s 3 versions I’ve found, and they all handle the gunfight slightly differently)

#796 10 months ago
Quoted from mystman12:

Did you check the tilt mechanism above the tilt bob? The one with a pinball in it?

Yeah it should be a normally open contact right? If I close it then the display says slam and the game boots normally.

#797 10 months ago

Picked up a Deadly Weapon project. It's going to need a lot of love.

20201114_154752 (resized).jpg
#798 10 months ago
Quoted from Blackghost4:

Picked up a Deadly Weapon project. It's going to need a lot of love.
[quoted image]

So jealous. Exactly what I'm looking for... I don't know why but system 3 projects seem to be really hand to find in the midwest.

#799 10 months ago

hello someone would have the pdf of the thunder operation manual and who would like to share it thank you in advance

#800 10 months ago

tech questions Strikes N Spares Both my DMDs are not working at same time? game plays blind, boards look good, LED is flashing on then like it should, looks like each one has a board, what would make both not work at all? display or power issue? how to I test power to DMD, but why would both go out? any help is appreciated?

There are 894 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 18.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside