(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,189 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by jtreehorn
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg
There are 1,189 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 24.
#701 4 years ago

Still looking for someone with a Wipeout to take a peek at their plunger spring. What color is yours?
Thx

#702 4 years ago

Doing a maintenance visit for a World Challenge Soccer game tomorrow. The owner says that everything is working but that the game no longer awards extra balls when it definitely previously did so. The owner is an experienced player so I trust the comment, but it's not logical to me that just the extra ball feature would go away. Does anyone have any insight? Could it be a dedicated switch issue? Could it be that extra ball awards are not available as the high scores climb up and reach a certain point? Any ideas are appreciated.

#703 4 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Any ideas are appreciated.

Assuming there isn’t a hardware issue (ie broken switch or the like), I know that Gottlieb games get super weird when there’s a memory issue/battery not holding a charge.

My Super Mario Bros only popped up the center target ball save when it felt like it. There was no rhyme or reason. Drove me nuts until I simply did a factory reset. Now it works fine.

On my lights camera action, it was awarding specials like candy. Again, no reason behind it, other than I did a ROM upgrade, and the rules bugged out. After a factory reset, all was well.

So maybe start with that and see where it gets you.

#704 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Assuming there isn’t a hardware issue (ie broken switch or the like), I know that Gottlieb games get super weird when there’s a memory issue/battery not holding a charge.
My Super Mario Bros only popped up the center target ball save when it felt like it. There was no rhyme or reason. Drove me nuts until I simply did a factory reset. Now it works fine.
On my lights camera action, it was awarding specials like candy. Again, no reason behind it, other than I did a ROM upgrade, and the rules bugged out. After a factory reset, all was well.

Great advice. Thanks so much!

#705 4 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

On a related note, I have never replaced a battery on a Gottlieb game. Can anyone tell me where I buy the correct battery for a World Challenge Soccer game and how and where to install it? I've heard that the machine takes a round five-year battery that installs somewhere on one of the boards, but I'm a noob to this whole idea.

#706 4 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

On a related note, I have never replaced a battery on a Gottlieb game. Can anyone tell me where I buy the correct battery for a World Challenge Soccer game and how and where to install it? I've heard that the machine takes a round five-year battery that installs somewhere on one of the boards, but I'm a noob to this whole idea.

Search this page for cr2430 and you'll find the part numbers and directions on changing it. You can also put a battery holder for a cr2032 on instead of the permanently soldered on battery.

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

#707 4 years ago

Put my SF2 on location!

20191221_140841 (resized).jpg20191221_140841 (resized).jpg
#708 4 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Search this page for cr2430 and you'll find the part numbers and directions on changing it. You can also put a battery holder for a cr2032 on instead of the permanently soldered on battery.
http://www.pinrepair.com/sys3/

Superb. Thanks!

#709 4 years ago

Working on a Shaq Attaq,

1. upper pf left flipper will intermittently stick in the up position. It's not being energized and can be pushed down and will work a few times then stick again. I replaced the sleeve which the old one came out very easy. Further investigation shows that when it's fully extended it has some resistance. Is this the plunger you think? The shaft bushing seems to be clean and round.

2. The spinner on shaq attaq doesn't spin much and when it does it barely turns. So does it spin all the time? When it does does it spin pretty fast? Is this common "do this " thing or that to repair or just replace?

1 week later
#710 4 years ago

Has anyone replaced the speakers in the upper panel of their System 3 game?

I'm looking to grab some Pyle speakers (or something like them) for my Class of 1812.

Anyone replace theirs on a SYS3, and is there any feedback on the size of speakers that work best or mounting issues? I couldn't find them listed in the manual.

1 week later
#711 4 years ago
Quoted from cshelden:

Working on a Shaq Attaq,
1. upper pf left flipper will intermittently stick in the up position. It's not being energized and can be pushed down and will work a few times then stick again. I replaced the sleeve which the old one came out very easy. Further investigation shows that when it's fully extended it has some resistance. Is this the plunger you think? The shaft bushing seems to be clean and round.
2. The spinner on shaq attaq doesn't spin much and when it does it barely turns. So does it spin all the time? When it does does it spin pretty fast? Is this common "do this " thing or that to repair or just replace?

Are you referring to the spinning free throw line? It does not spin all the time. When it does spin, mine spines pretty quickly. I would not consider it slow moving.

-=Smith=-

1 month later
#712 4 years ago

Having some intermittent trouble with a Wipe Out. At the top of the slalom gate, the audio callout and other behavior repeatedly suggest there is a ball there even when there is not. It only happens once in a while during game play, but once it does it gets "stuck" in that repeated audio callout: "Use the flippers to ski," and the slalom gate pitches back and forth and the flippers shut down, but there is no ball at the slalom gate.

Any ideas? Can anyone verify if there is a physical switch at the top of the slalom gate or an optic sensor that detects the ball?

#713 4 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Having some intermittent trouble with a Wipe Out. At the top of the slalom gate, the audio callout and other behavior repeatedly suggest there is a ball there even when there is not. It only happens once in a while during game play, but once it does it gets "stuck" in that repeated audio callout: "Use the flippers to ski," and the slalom gate pitches back and forth and the flippers shut down, but there is no ball at the slalom gate.
Any ideas? Can anyone verify if there is a physical switch at the top of the slalom gate or an optic sensor that detects the ball?

Yes there is an optic there. I had trouble with mine a few times. Once the gate was moving the wires back and forth that go to the optic. After that was adjusted it worked for a bit then had trouble again. We played with the alignment and it fixed it for a bit again then finally reflowed the solder to the optic and it has been trouble free for awhile now.

#714 4 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Yes there is an optic there. I had trouble with mine a few times. Once the gate was moving the wires back and forth that go to the optic. After that was adjusted it worked for a bit then had trouble again. We played with the alignment and it fixed it for a bit again then finally reflowed the solder to the optic and it has been trouble free for awhile now.

That's a great help. I'll take a good look at that issue. Thanks!

#715 4 years ago

Gottlieb System 3s had a lot of organic Flux in the solder, I was told awhile back that is is more prone to causing cracked solder joints, not sure if that is correct.

However, the Gottlieb opto boards will often have solder point issues, wires broken off etc, when shopping or fixing these, I always reheat optos. Namely because the way they fastened these to ramps and lanes, sometimes to plastics with those f@ng plastic rivets, I don't want to have to redo them!!!

#716 4 years ago
Quoted from ZEN:

Gottlieb System 3s had a lot of organic Flux in the solder, I was told awhile back that is is more prone to causing cracked solder joints, not sure if that is correct.

However, the Gottlieb opto boards will often have solder point issues, wires broken off etc, when shopping or fixing these, I always reheat optos. Namely because the way they fastened these to ramps and lanes, sometimes to plastics with those f@ng plastic rivets, I don't want to have to redo them!!!

Thanks!

#717 4 years ago

Okay, so recently aquired an operation: thunder with a thrashed translight. Anyone know of a good source for reproduction translights? Marco's translights for the game are NOS with pretty significant storage damage...

#718 4 years ago
Quoted from digdug2084:

Okay, so recently aquired an operation: thunder with a thrashed translight. Anyone know of a good source for reproduction translights? Marco's translights for the game are NOS with pretty significant storage damage...

Check Steve at PBR?

#719 4 years ago

Anyone interested in a reproduction replacement window plate for their Teed Off?

2 weeks later
#720 4 years ago

Looking for the DRY LAND plastic from the back of the playfield on Waterworld...

Also need a scan or high res pic of the flipper area so I can make some decals to fix my playfield wear...

lmk

#721 4 years ago

Helping out a Pinsider with reproducing some hard to find Mario Mushroom World plastics. If you are one of the other 10 people out there that own this machine and also happen to need these parts, let me know.

20200315_175330 (resized).jpg20200315_175330 (resized).jpg
#722 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Helping out a Pinsider with reproducing some hard to find Mario Mushroom World plastics. If you are one of the other 10 people out there that own this machine and also happen to need these parts, let me know.[quoted image]

Thanks for helping to make these happen.

#723 4 years ago

Ok... don't need the DRYLAND plastic on Waterworld...

GOOD NEWS... I now have a high res scan of the flipper area on WaterWorld... after this virus stuff dies down I will get it to my printer friend and see about getting decals made to fix the flipper wear area most of them have... might need to do a little messing with colors to get them to match and size to make sure it lnes up nice...

#724 4 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Ok... don't need the DRYLAND plastic on Waterworld...
GOOD NEWS... I now have a high res scan of the flipper area on WaterWorld... after this virus stuff dies down I will get it to my printer friend and see about getting decals made to fix the flipper wear area most of them have... might need to do a little messing with colors to get them to match and size to make sure it lnes up nice...

Nice, I added some spotlights to my Waterworld to brighten up the main playfield area and was looking at the Dryland plastic and how to get it out. Glad you got what you needed, excited about the decal.

#725 4 years ago

I own a Rescue 911 and a Waterworld... once all this corona crap is over I want to find a nice Street Fighter II pinball...

I like the Gottliebs... great bang for the buck... easy to understand rules for novice pinball players... and the kids love them...

Best deal going in pinball... shhh... don't tell anyone...

#726 4 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Helping out a Pinsider with reproducing some hard to find Mario Mushroom World plastics. If you are one of the other 10 people out there that own this machine and also happen to need these parts, let me know.[quoted image]

Holy crap, I totally need these parts. I had one professionally restored three years ago. I'd love to make it as perfect possible! Thank youuuuu

1 week later
#727 4 years ago

Hi guys. Ron Hallett and I have a podcast on the Pinball Network. Our next episode is The Death of Gottlieb: The System 3 Era. I'd love some comments and feeback on the final years of Premier-Gottlieb and their games. I'm looking to add some quotes and comments to the podcast. Here is our latest episode if you haven't heard it: https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/silverball-chronicles-ep-2-stern-electronicsno-not-that-stern/

1 week later
#728 4 years ago

If anyone is still in need, I have run a few extra sets of mushroom world parts off. International people drop me a PM and I'll quote you a shipping rate.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1188-ramp-o-matic/03633-gottlieb-super-mario-bros-mushroom-world-tube-cover-plastic

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1188-ramp-o-matic/03632-gottlieb-super-mario-bros-mushroom-world-castle-plastic

20200407_194125 (resized).jpg20200407_194125 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#729 3 years ago

I have just picked up a Caribbean Cruise cocktail that’s blowing F7 on power up every time
Any ideas where to start?
Only other system 3 I have is street fighter but it has no issues
Thanks

#730 3 years ago
Quoted from Spacemanratso09:

I have just picked up a Caribbean Cruise cocktail that’s blowing F7 on power up every time
Any ideas where to start?
Only other system 3 I have is street fighter but it has no issues
Thanks

Edit...

My mistake. I apologize.

#731 3 years ago

I can't find a manual online for Carribean Cruise. Is F7 for solenoids? Did you check all coils/diodes for shorts? Is a coil locking on at power up and then fuse blows?

#732 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

I can't find a manual online for Carribean Cruise. Is F7 for solenoids? Did you check all coils/diodes for shorts? Is a coil locking on at power up and then fuse blows?

Sour grapes bro I paid 50
Was there in 20 min after it posted he was right down the street
I could show my text messages as well they are short and to the point but I don’t brag post when I find a bargain
Thanks for the advice though I will check it out but not hearing the personality slam not everyone is a jerk

#733 3 years ago

I could show my text messages as well they are short and to the point but I don’t brag post when I find a bargain
Thanks for the advice though I will check it out but not hearing the personality slam not everyone is a jerk

Cool man hope you get it flipping.

#734 3 years ago

So if you have a beef text the guy that sold it to me he was a cool guy and just wanted it gone he said nothing to me about other buyers
Sorry you missed out

#735 3 years ago

So if you have a beef text the guy that sold it to me he was a cool guy and just wanted it gone he said nothing to me about other buyers
Sorry you missed out

It's cool man. I wrongly assumed you offered more than asking to buy it out from under me. Sorry. Again I hope you get it working soon.

#736 3 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:It's cool man. I wrongly assumed you offered more than asking to buy it out from under me. Sorry. Again I hope you get it working soon.

I used to pick up more games before you came along in general but I have no beef with you or anybody that’s the way that shit is and actually a good friend sent the ad to me when he himself could have went for it

I would stop worrying about what other people do and worry about yourself and stop trying to drag people on Pinside or FB unless it’s warranted
While you were texting I was on my way
You wrongly assume I was a douche bag(when if I offered more I wouldn’t be anyway) when you don’t even know me
Again,thanks for the advice

✌️

#737 3 years ago

I’m really into how they put the little outlines on the underside of the playfields.

B81EBD92-89FD-4166-A488-5AA8126C414A (resized).jpegB81EBD92-89FD-4166-A488-5AA8126C414A (resized).jpeg
#738 3 years ago

Anyone have a source for new plastic Lift Channel for the Translite? mine is all cracked on my Waterworld.

#739 3 years ago
Quoted from Lathroum:

Anyone have a source for new plastic Lift Channel for the Translite? mine is all cracked on my Waterworld.

GTB-24964
It's listed about halfway down this page http://www.pbresource.com/Stargate.html

#740 3 years ago

Hey System 3 club! Rom Hallett and I did our latest episode of Silverball Chronicles on System 3 era! Check out our here! https://www.thepinballnetwork.net/e/silverball-chronicles-ep-3-zombie-pinball-the-gottlieb-system-3-era/

#741 3 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

GTB-24964
It's listed about halfway down this page http://www.pbresource.com/Stargate.html

THANKS!

#742 3 years ago

anyone have this kit available?

gtb-ma2202 (resized).jpggtb-ma2202 (resized).jpg
#743 3 years ago

I've been a proud owner of Hoops for a couple years now. Such a great game! Here are a few shop out pics and a few right after I put orange t-molding on. I also recently put Pinstadium Omegas on it cause it's so damn dark. Not anymore!

During shop out I found out it was a re-import from the Czech Republic.

If you played in Pinvasion in Atlanta a few years ago this was the Hoops that was in the tourney.

20180430_212618 (resized).jpg20180430_212618 (resized).jpg20180430_212625 (resized).jpg20180430_212625 (resized).jpg20180505_120957 (resized).jpg20180505_120957 (resized).jpg20180505_131359 (resized).jpg20180505_131359 (resized).jpg20180505_131407 (resized).jpg20180505_131407 (resized).jpg20180505_215514 (resized).jpg20180505_215514 (resized).jpg20181118_181728 (resized).jpg20181118_181728 (resized).jpghoops orange (resized).jpghoops orange (resized).jpg

20180513_153218 (resized).jpg20180513_153218 (resized).jpg
#744 3 years ago

I recently had a LCA owner ask if I would create some apron cards for him, so I wanted to offer them to other owners.

I print the cards on a photo quality printer using 6 color OEM inks and thick OEM ultra gloss photo paper. I then coat with a clear gloss vinyl and color the white edges for a finished look when installed.

The cards are $10 per set including postage. If interested in purchasing, please PM me to arrange payment. The cards are made to order, and I'm usually able to send no more than one or two days from day of payment.

IMG_3877 (resized).JPGIMG_3877 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#745 3 years ago

Can someone take a pic of the underside of their Cactus Jack's playfield near the shooter lane? I have this wire that was disconnected and taped up. Looks like there might have been another switch in the trough but there is an item unscrewed and missing. Just curious if I am missing a part or if this was factory?

Thanks!!

Here is what I have...green arrows are the wires, red arrow is where it looks like something unscrewed near the trough

101390150_3148831828503075_8734951993790955520_n (resized).jpg101390150_3148831828503075_8734951993790955520_n (resized).jpg101166229_3148832331836358_4094065149848059904_n (resized).jpg101166229_3148832331836358_4094065149848059904_n (resized).jpg
#746 3 years ago

Got my Gladiators up and running a few days ago and have been working on the playfield.

I was testing the rule set by manually moving the ball around, triggering modes and learning the layout.

When I got the mid game option to enter my initials – beast slayer I think, I figured I did not want that saved as I was just goofing around and I turned the machine off while the enter initial screen was up.
I turned the game back on and now the credit button is no longer lit and will not start a game in either mode. The flipper buttons do not trigger the DMD during attract mode and they do not select in test – setup screens.

I’m guessing something locked in a loop and can’t do a factory reset since I can’t use the flipper buttons to move the options in test.

How can I reset the board without using the factory reset config option?

Thanks for any info.

#747 3 years ago

Just grabbed some system 3 goodness

Barb wire, Cue Ball wizard, and World challenge soccer

IMG_20200604_232202 (resized).jpgIMG_20200604_232202 (resized).jpgIMG_20200604_232213 (resized).jpgIMG_20200604_232213 (resized).jpgIMG_20200604_232221 (resized).jpgIMG_20200604_232221 (resized).jpg
#748 3 years ago

Got a question for the group - have a Car Hop, I have been putting off troubleshooting it for a while - start game/credit switch does not work.

I found a diode attached to the right inside of the cabinet that was bad. Stupidly I clipped off both leads before I replaced it, and looking for orientation.

I can't find mention of the diode in the manual, sadly.

Note, in the pictures, the diode you see is a 1N4004 that I haven't soldered in yet.

Appreciate any insight!

IMG_20200606_155726 (resized).jpgIMG_20200606_155726 (resized).jpgIMG_20200606_155732 (resized).jpgIMG_20200606_155732 (resized).jpg
#749 3 years ago

Has anyone tried floating the sound board to get rid of the buzz on a system 3? I read through the Data East thread about speaker hum as I was having sound problems with my hook, loud hum and some crackling, and a lot of people on that thread “floated” their sound board and had great results. Floating the sound board is removing it from ground by using some combination of nylon washers or bolts. I used nylon washers on my Hook and the crackling is gone and the hum is at least 50% less. My wipeout has a VERY loud hum but not every time. I have been very fortunate so far with this pin and haven’t had to do ANY board work so I don’t even know if the system 3 sound boards are similar to the Data East ones.
Thanks

#750 3 years ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Has anyone tried floating the sound board to get rid of the buzz on a system 3? I read through the Data East thread about speaker hum as I was having sound problems with my hook, loud hum and some crackling, and a lot of people on that thread “floated” their sound board and had great results. Floating the sound board is removing it from ground by using some combination of nylon washers or bolts. I used nylon washers on my Hook and the crackling is gone and the hum is at least 50% less. My wipeout has a VERY loud hum but not every time. I have been very fortunate so far with this pin and haven’t had to do ANY board work so I don’t even know if the system 3 sound boards are similar to the Data East ones.
Thanks

I play in a band... we call this a "ground lift" to get the buzz from some instruments out of the PA system... not sure about using it on a pin though...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

3,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Port Saint Lucie, FL
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bremerton, WA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pittsburgh, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 1,189 posts in this topic. You are on page 15 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply/page/15?hl=lathroum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.