(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 671 posts
  • 162 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by goofy1994
  • Topic is favorited by 48 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 184 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20190916_200431 (resized).jpg
MeanHoleGreen Decal (resized).png
20190908_205834 (resized).jpg
20190816_132751 (resized).jpg
IMG_0847 (resized).JPG
bolts (resized).PNG
b97f188817791ddd74b986ce8fcfd0b1dc78f1b2 (resized).jpg
image-20 (resized).jpg
image-17 (resized).jpg
58A06257-17F2-413E-B49E-889E53B82487 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20190526_185846 (resized).jpg
20190518_082322 (resized).jpg
20190518_082455 (resized).jpg
20190518_082634 (resized).jpg
20190513_201804 (resized).jpg
BarbWire (resized).jpg

There are 671 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.
#651 37 days ago

These are very fragile... Pins are easily bent when removing. The best way is to use an IC extractor.

#652 37 days ago

Thanks latenite04 (PM sent) and matiou for the replies. Indeed, the connector suggestions you sent match visually. Thanks so much! Where would I be without pinside?

#653 37 days ago

More System 3 questions related to my Wipe Out:

(1) Anyone know of a replacement resistor board available? Original part number is A13 26378. The one I have is pretty crisp and was jumpered by the previous owner--all lights are working well--but I'd prefer to add a replacement if I can.

(2) In the top right corner of the backbox of my Wipe Out there is a fan installed that looks to be factory and the fan spins by hand, but the wires to it were cut by a previous owner. Has anyone else seen this in system 3 games? Any opinions on whether the fan is needed? From the front, all the backbox boards and connectors look to be clean with no sign of heat damage.

Thanks!

#654 37 days ago
Quoted from Parkshow30:

Big Wipeout fan here as well, just a really fun game.
Your translight looks great, do you have LEDs in it? Mine looks very dull in comparison.
Just noticed it’s sitting next to a Comet, great choice in games! My Wipeout is sitting one game away from my Comet.

I have the same question. Your Wipeout looks outstanding and nice and bright. Care to share your LED mix?

#655 37 days ago
Quoted from MT45:

I have the same question. Your Wipeout looks outstanding and nice and bright. Care to share your LED mix?

Then your Comet is trying to tell you something. All Comet non-ghosting white LEDs:

https://www.cometpinball.com/

#656 37 days ago

The resitor board you're looking for is the MA-1417: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-1417
unfortunately I could not find one available online with a quick search. However, it should be really straightforward to fix yours. Take the opportunity to put resistors with a bit more watts.

#657 37 days ago
Quoted from matiou:

The resitor board you're looking for is the MA-1417: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/MA-1417
unfortunately I could not find one available online with a quick search. However, it should be really straightforward to fix yours. Take the opportunity to put resistors with a bit more watts.

Thanks very much. I'll look into this. Much appreciated!

#658 36 days ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

More System 3 questions related to my Wipe Out:
(1) Anyone know of a replacement resistor board available? Original part number is A13 26378. The one I have is pretty crisp and was jumpered by the previous owner--all lights are working well--but I'd prefer to add a replacement if I can.
(2) In the top right corner of the backbox of my Wipe Out there is a fan installed that looks to be factory and the fan spins by hand, but the wires to it were cut by a previous owner. Has anyone else seen this in system 3 games? Any opinions on whether the fan is needed? From the front, all the backbox boards and connectors look to be clean with no sign of heat damage.
Thanks!

I may have a spare board like this ,of you still need it pm me and I can check and see.

#659 33 days ago

For Tee'd Off.

I guess there was at least talk of someone creating a sticker kinda thing with artwork for the mean hole area. Did that ever happen? Are there any available?

#660 33 days ago
Quoted from Bricarus:

For Tee'd Off.
I guess there was at least talk of someone creating a sticker kinda thing with artwork for the mean hole area. Did that ever happen? Are there any available?

Here is the graphic someone posted which could be printed, placed and mylared into place.

MeanHoleGreen Decal (resized).png
#662 31 days ago

My Wipe Out sound problem described in post #649 is resolved thanks to a replacement ribbon connector from latenite04 and reseating all connectors on both the sound board and auxiliary sound board. Thanks, pinsiders for the invaluable help! As I get to know Wipe Out now with full sound, I'm realizing that it's a deeper and more fun game than I first thought. The same was true for my World Challenge Soccer that I previously owned. Well worth the money.

#663 29 days ago

I'm trying to fix an issue I have on SMB where the outhole mech will launch the ball hard enough to make another ball hop out of the trough into the shooter lane. I've adjusted the microswitch to the outhole, replaced the springs and coil stop on that mech. But still each launch from the outhole will cause the next ball to hop over the stop bar.

It looks like there may be an extra washer on the front of the trough on mine raising it on that side. I'm wondering if this is original? It may be warping my trough allowing the ball to hop... Can anyone confirm if this washer should be there?

IMG_20190916_200431 (resized).jpg
#664 29 days ago

I went ahead and tried it with the washer removed...works perfectly to stop the ball now. Unfortunately, I see why the washer was put in...occasionally the ball would roll back past the wireform back into the outhole spot... Naturally I broke the wireform trying to adjust it

I guess I need to come up with more parts to order to justify shipping

#665 29 days ago
Quoted from setzkor:

I went ahead and tried it with the washer removed...works perfectly to stop the ball now. Unfortunately, I see why the washer was put in...occasionally the ball would roll back past the wireform back into the outhole spot... Naturally I broke the wireform trying to adjust it
I guess I need to come up with more parts to order to justify shipping

When I got my super Mario pin, it was always launching two balls into the shooter lane too. Though mine was easy to correct as I just had to adjust the wire form and that fixed my problem. If you still need pics of anything, let me know and I’ll take some for you.

#666 29 days ago

As noted in previous posts, I thought my sound issues on my Wipe Out were resolved, but I was incorrect. I sometimes simply lose half the sounds when I start a new game, and the only pattern I can establish is that it happens if I leave the game on and unplayed for a while. I can play for 30 minutes and the sound is fine, but then if I leave the machine running but don't play it for an hour, half the sounds are gone when I start a new game. If I turn it off and try again right away, the same problem remains. However, if I turn it off for as little as 10 minutes and then start a new game, the sounds all come back.

Any ideas? I have already re-seated every connector in the backbox. Could it be heat-related? It seems unlikely--the machine is in a garage where the temperature is currently 70 degrees. And there is a small fan mounted and running in the backbox, which looks to be factory. Any input is welcome. I'm stumped.

#667 29 days ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

As noted in previous posts, I thought my sound issues on my Wipe Out were resolved, but I was incorrect. I sometimes simply lose half the sounds when I start a new game, and the only pattern I can establish is that it happens if I leave the game on and unplayed for a while. I can play for 30 minutes and the sound is fine, but then if I leave the machine running but don't play it for an hour, half the sounds are gone when I start a new game. If I turn it off and try again right away, the same problem remains. However, if I turn it off for as little as 10 minutes and then start a new game, the sounds all come back.
Any ideas? I have already re-seated every connector in the backbox. Could it be heat-related? It seems unlikely--the machine is in a garage where the temperature is currently 70 degrees. And there is a small fan mounted and running in the backbox, which looks to be factory. Any input is welcome. I'm stumped.

Have you tried replacing/re-burning the sound roms?

#668 29 days ago

On Gottlieb 3 machines (and I guess on Wipe Out), the sound channels come from different sound chips, usually spread on 2 sound cards. They all get mixed together and then amplified. It looks like one of your channel stops working intermittently. It could come from electrolytic capacitors used on the related sound circuit (this is a possibility, not guaranteed!). These electrolytic capacitors likely fail at some point, especially on a 25 year old game. If you know how to unsolder/solder through-hole components on circuit boards, it is worth trying replacing them (and relatively cheap), but you have to be careful not to damage the board. You can also try to identify which sound channel is at fault, to replace only the capacitors from this part of the circuit.

#669 29 days ago
Quoted from latenite04:

Have you tried replacing/re-burning the sound roms?

No, but thanks. I thought that might be a first step.

#670 29 days ago
Quoted from matiou:

On Gottlieb 3 machines (and I guess on Wipe Out), the sound channels come from different sound chips, usually spread on 2 sound cards. They all get mixed together and then amplified. It looks like one of your channel stops working intermittently. It could come from electrolytic capacitors used on the related sound circuit (this is a possibility, not guaranteed!). These electrolytic capacitors likely fail at some point, especially on a 25 year old game. If you know how to unsolder/solder through-hole components on circuit boards, it is worth trying replacing them (and relatively cheap), but you have to be careful not to damage the board. You can also try to identify which sound channel is at fault, to replace only the capacitors from this part of the circuit

Thanks so much. Beyond my skills, but I can hire this done if needed. Sometimes the audio callouts disappear and other times the music, so it's very erratic.

3 weeks later
#671 2 days ago

I have a Wipe Out and am wondering how the wire for the gate at the rear loop attaches to the switch (30272) under the play field. Could anyone with this machine snap a pic under the play field for me?

Thanks!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 269.00
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dothan, AL
There are 671 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 14.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside