(Topic ID: 92226)

Gottlieb System 3 Fan Club: Haters need not apply ;)

By Gov

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,189 posts
  • 274 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 60 days ago by jtreehorn
  • Topic is favorited by 93 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20231214_195407 (resized).jpg
20231214_195403 (resized).jpg
20231214_195340 (resized).jpg
20231214_195624 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_3612.jpeg
20191205_181839 (resized).jpg
opto (resized).jpg
opto3 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230529_064653_Gallery (resized).jpg
20230523_091209 (resized).jpg
20230523_085809 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20230426_132038_Drive (resized).jpg
115286D5-5DB6-4607-8E0E-FDD213695148 (resized).jpeg
received_224787666795042 (resized).jpeg
20230325_012344 (resized).jpg
There are 1,189 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.
#451 6 years ago

Regarding my post above on the flipper strength issue I was having, this has now been solved. I realized my plunger was not extending all the way into the coil sleeve by the time the EOS switch was hit. Now that I've adjusted this, the right flipper feels like the left and Class of 1812 is as fun as can be again.

Nothing worse than a weak flipper, and I'm happy to have learned a new yet simple thing to look out for when diagnosing flipper behavior.

#452 6 years ago

Picked up a Cue Ball Wizard and have a couple quick questions.

The motor that rotates the cue stick back and fourth doesn’t really move the whole way. It will move to the center and kind of sit there, I can hear the motor working but it’s not reflected with movement.

There are a couple of domes at the top of the playfield that have bulbs burnt out. How do I remove the plastic rivets to get access to the bulb?

Thanks for any and all help.

#453 6 years ago

Don't own my CBW anymore, but I'll bet the rivets are standard Gottlieb plastic ones.... if so, (underneath) push the very center post of the rivet pin with your fingernail or tiny screwdtiver. It will pop up about a 16th inch or so, that unlocks the whole rivet (with sleeve) to be pulled out. It takes very little force to pop them up.

They are 2 pieces, a sleeve and the rivet pin

If you can't get underneath, grab just the head of the rivet pin from the top and pop it up (again, gently) with your fingernail. Then the entire rivet assembly will be able to be pulled out

Hope this helps

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Don't own my CBW anymore, but I'll bet the rivets are standard Gottlieb plastic ones.... if so, (underneath) push the very center post of the rivet pin with your fingernail or tiny screwdtiver. It will pop up about a 16th inch or so, that unlocks the whole rivet (with sleeve) to be pulled out. It takes very little force to pop them up.
They are 2 pieces, a sleeve and the rivet pin
If you can't get underneath, grab just the head of the rivet pin from the top and pop it up (again, gently) with your fingernail. Then the entire rivet assembly will be able to be pulled out
Hope this helps

Thanks, those little rivets were a pain in the ass to get out. Damn. Some of them were broken or something and it was crazy to get them out, lol.

I replaced the motor on the cue stick and it works great. Now all I need to do is find some of the plastics that are damaged on the machine and I will be good to go.

#455 6 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Update on Cactus Jack's rebuild/shop out ...

Very nice work.The contrast between the before and after pics is huge!

#456 6 years ago
Quoted from chalkup8:

Very nice work.The contrast between the before and after pics is huge!

Thx. Very fun game too!

1 week later
#457 5 years ago

Hi guys. Just finished restoring my first System 3, Tee'd Off. Hoping some of you guys may be able to help me with a display issue I am having - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-vertical-lines-on-display.

Thanks for any help!

3 weeks later
#458 5 years ago

Just joined the club on Wednesday evening by buying myself a cactus jacks. It plays well, but needs a good clean and some paint touch ups on the cab. My kids love the theme, cacti and music, and I find it quite fun too. It currently sits in the garage as I clean it up.

3623E4FB-6DEC-44F3-B864-874D134EEDEA (resized).jpeg3623E4FB-6DEC-44F3-B864-874D134EEDEA (resized).jpeg

76EF28CB-3761-40C4-8370-FB9AB16CA944 (resized).jpeg76EF28CB-3761-40C4-8370-FB9AB16CA944 (resized).jpeg

#459 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Thanks, those little rivets were a pain in the ass to get out. Damn. Some of them were broken or something and it was crazy to get them out, lol.
I replaced the motor on the cue stick and it works great. Now all I need to do is find some of the plastics that are damaged on the machine and I will be good to go.

Big Hurt has those same damn rivets all along the scoreboard. I ordered replacement rivets because I was sure to break a few removing that large plastic over the scoreboard to replace bulbs.

#460 5 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Just joined the club on Wednesday evening by buying myself a cactus jacks. It plays well, but needs a good clean and some paint touch ups on the cab. My kids love the theme, cacti and music, and I find it quite fun too. It currently sits in the garage as I clean it up.

Congrats on the CJ! Love mine and if you have any questions as you clean it up or minor repairs, shoot me a PM. Might have to go from memory because my Cactus is folded in storage. Love that game and I did some extensive repairs to mine. Enjoy it

#461 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Congrats on the CJ! Love mine and if you have any questions as you clean it up or minor repairs, shoot me a PM. Might have to go from memory because my Cactus is folded in storage. Love that game and I did some extensive repairs to mine. Enjoy it

Thanks! I quite enjoyed seeing your posts in this thread and watching your cj transformation. I will definitely keep you in mind if I run across something I can’t figure out, I appreciate your offer.

#462 5 years ago

Does anybody know where to get these tabs from? Pinball machines a Gottlieb Waterworld.

IMG_20180523_230746 (resized).jpgIMG_20180523_230746 (resized).jpg

#463 5 years ago
Quoted from Epistaxis:

Does anybody know where to get these tabs from? Pinball machines a Gottlieb Waterworld.

Best bet is PBR. I don’t know what they are called, but describe them in email or on the phone. They have always helped me out immensely.

0198399F-AFFA-4060-8F48-D37122BBEA23 (resized).jpeg0198399F-AFFA-4060-8F48-D37122BBEA23 (resized).jpeg

#464 5 years ago

They have a System 3 page as well, I order a replacement water sticker for the top of the plastic ramp that was torn. Much improved.

#465 5 years ago
Quoted from Epistaxis:

Yours are riveted in but my Cactus Jacks were friction fit, with a machined slot. I found mine on the below page and about the 10th item down

http://www.pbresource.com/signatur.html

1 week later
#466 5 years ago
Quoted from Epistaxis:

The riveted tabs used on System 3s are very weak for some reason. I've seen a lot broken at the bend. Your best bet is to weld them back on if you're able to.

#467 5 years ago

I love my lights camera! System 3s are great fun!

B047BA32-E768-44EE-AB68-E676DCA49D92 (resized).jpegB047BA32-E768-44EE-AB68-E676DCA49D92 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#468 5 years ago

Trying to figure out if I have a memory issue causing weird colors on a Pin2DMD, so I was wondering if upon startup System 3's are supposed to show the last score before it was turned off? Or does it always start with zeros? Also, is there a list somewhere of "bulletproofing" items that should be done on these?

4 weeks later
#469 5 years ago

hey guys, My teed off is working great but I have 2 questions that are somewhat related.

My test button does not work. However the volume and the tournament switch do. I am not able to get into test mode and its killing me. No one has the board in stock, What are my options? just replace the button?

My second question is, Is the target bank in front of the gopher hole supposed to reset when they are all knocked down? Mine does not but I believe it might be because im stuck in tournament mode.

#470 5 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

hey guys, My teed off is working great but I have 2 questions that are somewhat related.
My test button does not work. However the volume and the tournament switch do. I am not able to get into test mode and its killing me. No one has the board in stock, What are my options? just replace the button?
My second question is, Is the target bank in front of the gopher hole supposed to reset when they are all knocked down? Mine does not but I believe it might be because im stuck in tournament mode.

Do you have the manual for your game? PBR has full control over gottlieb so we don’t have online free scans on ipdb but if you buy one or have one, it would list how test works and the drop logic is

#471 5 years ago

I don't think I've ever seen one of those buttons fail. First, I would check for cracked solder joints on the pins on the coin door board and MPU, then for a faulty ribbon cable between the driver board and MPU, then for possible wiring issues on the wires for that button (do continuity testing with a multimeter). If all that checks out, then I'd check for possible chip issues on the MPU.

#472 5 years ago

I do have the manual. It just says the game must be in attract mode before it will enter test mode. Still nothing.

Forceflow i will check that out this weekend thanks. Its just odd the rest of the board works besides that button

#473 5 years ago
Quoted from thestreetzking:

I do have the manual. It just says the game must be in attract mode before it will enter test mode. Still nothing.
Forceflow i will check that out this weekend thanks. Its just odd the rest of the board works besides that button

Interesting. Ya what forceflow said, and check physical button continuity. I mean it is pinball so weird things happen. Hope it is an easy fix!

#474 5 years ago

Ok so im working on this now. I get continuity at the a26 control board between power on button and power on plug. Same with ground on button and ground on plug. Still working on it.

Edit* jumped it at the plug and it worked perfect. So where do i go now?
20180713_140237 (resized).jpg20180713_140237 (resized).jpg

** How do i set free play without the tounrmanet slider. Because I want to keep the Target Bank Reset. and it does not when in tournament mode

#475 5 years ago

In Tee’d Off the bank resets only when you drain or start a game,for the pinsider who ask

#476 5 years ago

My Teed off bank resets after you knock it all down, must be a setting somewhere.

#477 5 years ago
Quoted from robertg130:

In Tee’d Off the bank resets only when you drain or start a game,for the pinsider who ask

Quoted from BorgDog:

My Teed off bank resets after you knock it all down, must be a setting somewhere.

Its a setting, one of the last ones

Is there a way to set freeplay without the tournament switch?

1 month later
#478 5 years ago

Anybody need a Tee'd Off topper blockout plate? I've got a spare as I sold my Tee'd Off with the topper on it.

tobp3 (resized).jpgtobp3 (resized).jpg
#479 5 years ago
Quoted from Zorak:

Anybody need a Tee'd Off topper blockout plate? I've got a spare as I sold my Tee'd Off with the topper on it.
[quoted image]

I need the whole topper! Haha

#480 5 years ago

How much. I’ve started getting tired of Gunther’s dancing.

736E9C44-BD39-49B9-BC84-6EF9B116C1B8 (resized).jpeg736E9C44-BD39-49B9-BC84-6EF9B116C1B8 (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#481 5 years ago
Quoted from TimBoch:

How much. I’ve started getting tired of Gunther’s dancing.
[quoted image]

I did too- I eventually enjoyed mine more without him up there

1 week later
#482 5 years ago

Here’s my collection of system 3’s. I quite enjoy them. They’re great pins for family and friends who just want a straight forward, fun game.

56FCB4D3-3CD9-45C6-80FD-B4DFE6C45DA3 (resized).jpeg56FCB4D3-3CD9-45C6-80FD-B4DFE6C45DA3 (resized).jpeg

56B548EB-31FB-4F21-9F28-771DA4EEF856 (resized).jpeg56B548EB-31FB-4F21-9F28-771DA4EEF856 (resized).jpeg

FF4BFBE1-0127-4923-8D5F-F4F052DF9099 (resized).jpegFF4BFBE1-0127-4923-8D5F-F4F052DF9099 (resized).jpeg

#483 5 years ago

Quick question. On my SMB everything works except the right button in the video modes. Flipper is fine and I looked at the switch quickly but nothing was loose or anything apparent. I am sure it is a simple fix just figured I would ask before digging too far in to it just in case.

#484 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinbutt2000:

Quick question. On my SMB everything works except the right button in the video modes. Flipper is fine and I looked at the switch quickly but nothing was loose or anything apparent. I am sure it is a simple fix just figured I would ask before digging too far in to it just in case.

I recently fixed up one of these for a buddy of mine. There is a small board under the play field that sends signals to the MPU to tell it when the flipper buttons have been pressed. More than likely something has gone wrong with this board. To confirm it is giving you trouble if you hit the test button and then you press the right flipper button and nothing happens then you'll know something from that tiny board isn't being sent to the MPU (Or that the MPU has an issue but I'd be surprised). If you find that to be the case and find that in switch test the right flipper doesn't show when pressed. I'd check that board out and replace or repair it (Depending on your skill level and such).

#485 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

I recently fixed up one of these for a buddy of mine. There is a small board under the play field that sends signals to the MPU to tell it when the flipper buttons have been pressed. More than likely something has gone wrong with this board. To confirm it is giving you trouble if you hit the test button and then you press the right flipper button and nothing happens then you'll know something from that tiny board isn't being sent to the MPU (Or that the MPU has an issue but I'd be surprised). If you find that to be the case and find that in switch test the right flipper doesn't show when pressed. I'd check that board out and replace or repair it (Depending on your skill level and such).

Thank you will do.

1 week later
#486 5 years ago

Hi All,

I just picked up my first machine and it is operation thunder. My question is related to the “special” led board lights near the plunger and instructions on the lower playfield. I can’t seam to find any information on those lights. It appears that most system 3 games had them. My “p” is not lighting up but not sure if they light up in order as currently my s,e,c & I are lit. Can anyone help explain the premise behind these lights? Do they light up on all games left to right or random? If a letter is skipped is that normal? At certain times the other unlit letters will flash but the p doesn’t this my reasoning on it possibly being out. Is there any literature explaining these lights out there on any system 3’s? I have been striking out trying to google this topic, possibly I am just not using the correct terms...I am not sure

Thanks in advance

#487 5 years ago

I believe that they light left to right in order so it's probably burned out, or a bad solder joint. You could try re-flowing the solder to see if it fixes anything.

I had to buy some green leds to fix my mushroom world and this is the red version of the led:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Lumex/SSL-LX80113ID?qs=L64QHqBhuJS%252bJ5lQYG4%252bFw%3D%3D

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from NvrBABuckeye:

Hi All,
I just picked up my first machine and it is operation thunder. My question is related to the “special” led board lights near the plunger and instructions on the lower playfield. I can’t seam to find any information on those lights. It appears that most system 3 games had them. My “p” is not lighting up but not sure if they light up in order as currently my s,e,c & I are lit. Can anyone help explain the premise behind these lights? Do they light up on all games left to right or random? If a letter is skipped is that normal? At certain times the other unlit letters will flash but the p doesn’t this my reasoning on it possibly being out. Is there any literature explaining these lights out there on any system 3’s? I have been striking out trying to google this topic, possibly I am just not using the correct terms...I am not sure
Thanks in advance

They are controlled lamps in the lamp matrix, they do not fail often. Could be a cold solder joint as mentioned, also could be a broken wire on another lamp in the same column for row, this happens frequently with GYB system3 games..

#489 5 years ago
Quoted from NvrBABuckeye:

Hi All,
Thanks in advance

Thank you very much latenite04 & @ZEN. I appreciate the the help & feedback on my Operation: Thunder. I will take it back apart and look at it further. Any knowledge on the meaning behind the lights in how they relate to the game?

1 month later
#490 5 years ago

Hello hello! I just picked up a Cue Ball Wizard today. Pretty nice overall. Plays well. Some broken plastics (chipped ramp and center red plastic under pool cue). Couple chipped targets. No big deal. What I am wondering about is the clear plastic piece that holds the cue ball above the playfield. The original piece is missing from my game and a fabrication (fully functional) was put in its place. Anyone have a spare?

#491 5 years ago

I am in search of a coin door for my silver slugger if anybody has a decent one. The one on my game unfortunately lost a battle with a crow bar.

1 week later
#492 5 years ago

Love my Rescue 911

#493 5 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Hello hello! I just picked up a Cue Ball Wizard today. Pretty nice overall. Plays well. Some broken plastics (chipped ramp and center red plastic under pool cue). Couple chipped targets. No big deal. What I am wondering about is the clear plastic piece that holds the cue ball above the playfield. The original piece is missing from my game and a fabrication (fully functional) was put in its place. Anyone have a spare?

Found the clear plastic I needed.

Anyone have a spare horseshoe plastic? PayPal ready.

#494 5 years ago

How old were you guys when you realized that the game "Silver Slugger" is called Silver Slugger because the players are weird futuristic android/robot/guys-in-robot suits playing baseball?

I was today years old...

#495 5 years ago

Hmmm, never thought of it like that! Can't get enough of the spinners in that game.

#496 5 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Found the clear plastic I needed.
Anyone have a spare horseshoe plastic? PayPal ready.

Where did you wind up finding one of the clear ball holder?

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from Matesamo:

Where did you wind up finding one of the clear ball holder?

Got lucky in a Facebook group. They are nowhere to be found!

#498 5 years ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

How old were you guys when you realized that the game "Silver Slugger" is called Silver Slugger because the players are weird futuristic android/robot/guys-in-robot suits playing baseball?
I was today years old...

Very interesting baseball players/uniforms indeed. It may have a weird theme, but is a great and extremely fun multiplayer game.

1 week later
#499 5 years ago

Sorry it took so long to get this to market, but I just released my new style A-26 tournament boards for general sale.

http://www.siegecraft.us/presta/index.php?id_product=72&controller=product&id_lang=1

#500 5 years ago

. whoops, sorry, double post.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Horror Mods

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weyburn, SK
$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,189 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 24.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-fan-club-haters-need-not-apply/page/10?hl=lathroum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.