3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200904_103527718 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

Just picked up a Strikes N Spares. The upkicker transistor is blown. Coil and diode test good. Fuse F23 is blown. I don't have any of these 2N10L transistors, but it seems this game only uses a small fraction of the 32 of them on the board. Can I rob one from say Q32 and move it over without any issues?

Thanks,
RC

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If there's nothing connected to them sure!

Thanks. That particular one and several others are not used in this game.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

IRL540 is a more common modern replacement, if you happen to have any of those

I believe I do. Are they the same used in Stern SAM?

I ended up robbing the Q32 and got the upkicker working. Robbed the associated resistor, as it was cooked as well.

Neither flipper works at this time, but I believe they aren't transistor controlled. I'm checking with the previous owner to see if they were working before or not.

This is my first system 3 experience.

#6 3 years ago

Changed the title of the thread.

Flippers not functioning. Here's what I know of the game.

Previous owner advised they worked fine, only one coil wasn't working, which I fixed, per above.

Previous owner removed the head to get the game upstairs.

I believe I got all the connections back where they go, but it is possible this could be an issue.

I changed the battery since it had the original solder tail battery and I wanted to have one with an easy to change holder. Verified good voltage and it seems to hold new settings.

I did a factory reset.

Still no change.

Switches and wiring seem fine. EOS gaps are good.

Game is also in Free Play which I want to change, but can't seem to.

I'm not familiar with System 3 and don't have a manual. Thanks for any suggestions.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I got a Class of 1812 many years ago with non-working flippers. The flippers are not transistor controlled.

What was the cause of your flipper issue?

#9 3 years ago

I've also verified the fuses that correspond to the flippers are both good.

#11 3 years ago

After a little digging, I found that the Q relay is part of the flipper operation. Mine does not energize. I manually held it closed and the flippers work. Coil tests good, so I'm wondering if Q32 that I robbed controls that relay? There are coil cards in the game, but they don't mention that relay coil with an associated transistor, like the others.

#12 3 years ago

I found some IRL540N in my parts stash and some 2K ohm resistors. The resistor I robbed is 2.2K ohm. I think the 2K ohm will do. Any objections?

#13 3 years ago

Found via another System 3 thread that Q32 does control that Q relay. I just moved the transistor and resistor from Q31 over and all is well now. Phew. I caused and fixed the issue lol.

#18 3 years ago

Q1 is responsible for that coil according to these charts in my game. Per someone above, IRL540 would be a modern replacement.

IMG_20200904_103527718 (resized).jpgIMG_20200904_103527718 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RC_like_the_cola.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-driver-transistor-question?tu=RC_like_the_cola and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.