(Topic ID: 287716)

Gottlieb System 3 DMD Issue

By SeymorGoldfarbJr

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Power Board-Circled (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SeymorGoldfarbJr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

I have a Street Fighter 2 with a DMD / DMD board issue which I have never seen before.

The issue is when I plug in the high voltage connector into my DMD display (NEVER with the game turned on), I instantly burn up D5 and D7 on the DMD board. If I leave it on for any length of time, it will blow the line fuse on the game.

Without the DMD plugged in, the game works fine. I’ve checked all the voltages going into the DMD board and all of the voltages at the DMD connector and I could not find any voltages that appeared to be abnormal.

It does not seem to be the DMD board that is the issue. I plugged 3 different boards into this game and all three burnt up when I turned the game on with the DMD plugged in.

I have also tried more than one DMD in the game.

At this point I do not know where to go from here.

EDIT - Problem solved. It was a short to ground on the high voltage line at the fuse holder on the transformer panel.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Have you tried a different ribbon cable?

I have not done that, but the logic side of the DMD board should have no impact on the high voltage side of the DMD board.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, but if something is getting shorted out in some way, it might be best just to rule it out.

I just tested the ribbon cable in another game. The cable is not the issue.

#6 3 years ago

You can see the issue is always with the bridge on the -112V circuit.

Power Board-Circled (resized).jpgPower Board-Circled (resized).jpg
    #8 3 years ago

This is not an issue with the board. Something external to it is causing some crazy voltage issues.

I have put the same exact board into another System 3 and it works perfect.

The output voltages (P2) to the DMD with the board in SF2 are:
    1: 6.4 VDC
    2: 62 VDC
    4: 12 VDC
    5: 123 VDC
    7: -34 VDC
    8: -17 VDC

With the same board in a different System 3 game, the output voltages at P2 are all correct per the schematic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SeymorGoldfarbJr.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-dmd-issue?tu=SeymorGoldfarbJr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.