Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4840 (resized).JPG
IMG_4841 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I'm in the process of re-doing a Street Fighter 2 pinball machine cabinet. Overall, the cabinet is not in bad shape, expect for the bottom. It looks like moisture sat in it for a while, and the bottom is sagging pretty badly. The bottom appears to be 1/2" MDF. As you can see from the picture, there is about a 1 inch sag. Saggy Bottom...Saggy Bottom...
IMG_4840 (resized).JPGIMG_4840 (resized).JPG

Ive never done a cabinet bottom before. If I have to remove it, I'd like to get it out more or less intact so I can use it for a template for making a new bottom. Beside the sag, the bottom is not in bad shape. Is there a way I could mold the MDF back into shape?

How did Gottlieb attached their cabinet bottoms? Are they in a groove like Williams machines? It does appear the it is glued in place around the outside edge, but I can't tell if it is in a groove.

Thanks,
Alan

#2 7 years ago

Anyone?

#3 7 years ago

Most people replace bottoms when water damaged.

You can try to steam the wood and press it flat, but that may be too thick to work in this case.

There are a handful of threads that offer some good details on replacing the bottom of a cabinet, which should come up in a search.

#4 7 years ago

Following. Working on SF2 but I'm saving the cab work for warmer weather. Would be interested on what blue you settle on.

#5 7 years ago

I have the same issue with the weather. Im going to get all my wood working done, and wait for warmer weather. It's hard to paint when your shop is heated by a wood burning stove.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-cabinet-bottom-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.