Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pic 5 (resized).jpg
pic 4 (resized).jpg
pic 3 (resized).jpg
pic 2 (resized).jpg
pic 1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarAlb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 4 years ago

Fast blinking LED and the beep-beep-beep -> the CPU is starting and resetting constantly. Reasons can be various. Maybe the displaycontroller, maybe a defect at the cpu board. I am not keen on using polarized caps for C20 and C21; I prefer ceramics myself. 680K resistors are okay. Did you check for damaged traces around U11, C20, C21? They are very easy to damage. Did u try to use a testrom already?

#11 4 years ago

Check the continuity of the traces around U11 with a multimeter

Test the cpu board with a testrom

A quote from the system 3 C20+C21 thread:

Quoted from G-P-E:

If *I* were replacing this cap - I would go with a polyester film type capacitor. These are inexpensive and have tight tolerances. A cap such as a Panasonic ECQ-E1105JF would be ideal in this position. Long life, inexpensive, no polarity to worry about and tight tolerance.

Ed

#13 4 years ago

Ed explains it pretty wel in the C20+C21 topic. Between tantallum and ceramics I prefer ceramics personally.

Quoted from G-P-E:

Regardless of what was used before - there are right and wrong capacitors to use at C20 and C21.
Both of these two are part of the 74HC123 RC timing constant so maintaining some a somewhat consistent and proper capacitance value is important. Too low of value and the machine will reset when it isn't supposed to.

A ceramic capacitor most definitely CAN be used in this position. These caps typically have +/-20% tolerance - not real good for timing circuits. You can get these much tighter tolerance than 20% -- up to 5%. I'm willing to bet the originals were 20% caps. Just watch out for the inexpensive +80% caps -- nearly double in value for tolerance.

Tantalum caps also typically have +/-20% and can get as good as 5% but not many in the 5% range. You want the + oriented toward the connections to pin 15 and 7. Follow traces on board to figure out which solder pad connects to pins 15 and 7 and use cap's + connection there. C20 is easy to follow - the plus connection is near pin 16 of the IC. C21 - you need to follow connection on bottom of board. Looks like from above drawing that this cap installs in same orientation as C20.

Electrolytic caps -- do NOT cheap out and go this route. These start with a +80%/-20% tolerance and go down with age. Small value electrolytic caps are notorious for being the first caps to go bad in timing circuits and on sound boards.

If *I* were replacing this cap - I would go with a polyester film type capacitor. These are inexpensive and have tight tolerances. A cap such as a Panasonic ECQ-E1105JF would be ideal in this position. Long life, inexpensive, no polarity to worry about and tight tolerance.

Ed

You can also try my system 3 testrom - send me a PM with your email address if you don't have it already and you would like to try it. Before running the testrom you need to disable the watchdog (U11) circuitry. The testrom performs memory and VIA U4 + U5 timer tests and then jumps to the I/O testmode. During the I/O testmode you can enable the watchdog again. If the testprogram keeps running the watchdog circuitry is probably fine, if not the testprogram will stall and stop running.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Pinson, AL
Machine - For Sale
Rhinelander, WI
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MarAlb.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-boot-up-problem?tu=MarAlb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.