(Topic ID: 268212)

Gottlieb System 3 Big Hurt Possible Switch Issue?

By Yngbld

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Yngbld
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey guys got a question , for some reason the players choice menu will pop up during game play without be activated it occurs randomly and the only link i can associate it with is when the left flipper is pressed repeatably, there is no sequence to determine what causes it, it can happen on startup then pop up throughout the game randomly, Ive run through the switch matrix and edges test they both register and there are no other random switches being triggered, I have removed the shared lamp strobe line on driver board no change have disconnected left flipper terminals individually and together "two left flippers in this game" and played thoroughly to make sure something else wasn't triggering the issue, i will continue to diagnose however my question is shouldn't the phantom switch like the right ramp opto in this case being triggered inactively, show some consistency in when it triggers as stated there is no sequence as to when the players choice pops up only to say that pressing the left flipper constantly seems to trigger it spasmodically.. Any help would be appreciated

#2 3 years ago

Is it the opto on the right ramp menu pop up ?

#3 3 years ago

Sorry mate not sure what you mean by menu pop up?, the opto is on the right side of the ramp "rightgap" and if by menu you mean in diagnostics then yes it registers it works also in game when its supposed it, just also randomly activates when it chooses to! nitrocow

#4 3 years ago

The diagnostic menu pops up when in play. Have you tried disconnecting the board or making sure the test button isn’t stuck ?

I just picked up a big hurt two days ago fun machine

#5 3 years ago

sorry mate its not the diagnostic menu that pops up when in play its the "players choice" menu/option when you hit the right ramp in normal play "not in a round" its a feature of the game so example you can opt for a multi ball or extra ball or light double etc. nothing to do with the test menu, hope that makes sense!, big hurt is a great game the more i delve into it, im now thinking my problem maybe a dry joint on the diode board but not sure will test later today, my original question was as to why it pops up randomly. Generally in my "limited" experience a phantom switch playing up tends to have another switch cause the issue for example a shorted switch call it 32 causes 23 to play up every time you close switch 32 but in this case it doesn't, it happens at random so my my logic tells me that it is more than just a shorted or faulty switch that is causing my issue hence the post,

#6 3 years ago

If it appears randomly, the first thing I will look at is the Ground Upgrade who us essential to do 1st on a Gottlieb system 3.
Clean every plugs, also those on the opto card.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for you're help Benhurr it ended up being the opto board look like there was a heap of gunk Ive swapped over a temporary opto board and will get onto giving it a clean and testing components, your a wizard my man Will have to read up on ground upgrade never had cause to look into but as im getting more into repairs something ill have to tend too.. thank you for seeming to always reply on my gottlieb system 3 woes..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-big-hurt-possible-switch-issue?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.