gottlieb system 3

By Mrpvmoore

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

nice to finally be a part of the pinball community. I have been waiting a long time to start my collection, and i I finally landed my first one a few months back. its Gottlieb's Mario Andretti and its super cool. I am a race car engineer by day and I don't have the room i'd like to have so I have pick and choose the ones I really want. its in pretty decent shape, and I am pleasantly surprised at how much my wife has taken to it too.. I thought I would get the rolled eyes when I brought it home!(she is better than me which doesn't add any peace to the household) I have been going through a lot of basic clean up, new bulbs, a few solenoids, switches here and there.
I am battling an occasionally stuck flipper which is annoying, even after going through the mechanism.. still working on that. It has a center post between the flippers that is supposed to pop up, and it does but it doesn't stay up... Curious to know if anyone might have some input on what might be responsible for commanding the post to stay up..? I have replaced both solenoids and the driver board is new, but thus far has had no effect on performance. does anyone believe that it might be a control board issue? I hear you guys are the guru's and any thoughts would be much appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Welcome to the hobby! Or addiction.... let us know when game 2 comes, they come fast!

First off, do you have the manual for the game?

You’ll want that! Makes troubleshooting easier.

You can find one here
http://www.pbresource.com/

You have to set up an account and it’s mail order but they are the license holder to gottlieb, also great to work with.

#3 5 years ago

Funtimes ahead! 1 game becomes 2, and so on..

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrpvmoore:

I am battling an occasionally stuck flipper which is annoying, even after going through the mechanism

Have you rebuild the flipper assembly with new parts?

http://www.pbresource.com/rebuildkit.html

Quoted from Mrpvmoore:

It has a center post between the flippers that is supposed to pop up, and it does but it doesn't stay up... Curious to know if anyone might have some input on what might be responsible for commanding the post to stay up..?

I'm not quite familiar with the Gottlieb mechanism without seeing it, but generally, there are two solenoids. One small solenoid to pull in a metal plate to release the post and allow it to pop up, then the larger coil to pull the plunger and post back down. So, first see if you can determine if it's a mechanical issue where something isn't catching, a wiring issue, a missing diode on a coil, or a bad transistor that drives one of the solenoids.

#5 5 years ago

thanks, yes I have a manual - and it does help !

and yes - there will be more coming, no doubt !!

so far what I know about the post mechanism is that it has two coils back to back, with the post running through the center - I am assuming one to pull the post up and the other to retract it.. I have replaced the coils as a matter of course, and given the cost and age I don't consider it a loss.. from what I can tell it looks as though the driver board supplies the ground signal for the coils switches, etc, and I though again given the age I would rather have spares so I tried a new one.. no luck yet..

and yes, I used a rebuild kit from Marcos to rebuild the flipper mechanism.. new coils, sleeve, spring, switch, etc.. no luck with that yet either..

I will snatch a few pics tonight

thanks!

#6 5 years ago

is the flipper holding up because of the cabinet button, the flipper shaft is binding, or the coil is staying energized after the button is released?

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

is the flipper holding up because of the cabinet button, the flipper shaft is binding, or the coil is staying energized after the button is released?

And to add on to what Parnell is asking.... Hold the flipper button down and then release... While the flipper bat is up, turn off the machine. If the machine drops the flipper at power off- you have an electrical/logic issue (like a button, switch gap, etc.). If the flipper stays up on power down, you have a mechanical issue inside the flipper assembly itself.

#8 5 years ago

Ok! Good info. I’ll check it out.. i suspect shaft bind or coil staying energized - and yea, totaly makes sense to easily determine how to narrow it down. Simple logic !

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

And to add on to what Parnell is asking.... Hold the flipper button down and then release... While the flipper bat is up, turn off the machine. If the machine drops the flipper at power off- you have an electrical/logic issue (like a button, switch gap, etc.). If the flipper stays up on power down, you have a mechanical issue inside the flipper assembly itself.

Perfect way to put how to test thank you!

#10 5 years ago

My sticky flipper test indicates that it is a logic problem. I played it until the flipper stuck, and powered off the machine. as soon as I killed the power the flipper released.. so at least now I have some kind of a direction.
I have learned that Gottlieb sytem3's have a problematic grounds, so i'm going to start by implementing the ground improvement tasks I've been reading up on.

#11 5 years ago

Disclaimer: I am not a System 3 expert, but I have owned few. These systems are pretty rock solid. I'm pretty sure the flippers in all of these games are not driven by transistors on the boards, but are wired through the flipper buttons and directly to the transformer. Maybe you just have a sticky switch somewhere?

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrpvmoore:

My sticky flipper test indicates that it is a logic problem. I played it until the flipper stuck, and powered off the machine. as soon as I killed the power the flipper released.. so at least now I have some kind of a direction.
I have learned that Gottlieb sytem3's have a problematic grounds, so i'm going to start by implementing the ground improvement tasks I've been reading up on.

Here is some GREAT bedtime reading to really get you familiar with sys3

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_3

#13 5 years ago

Don't forget to check the flipper switch contacts. These are high current switches and the contacts can get pitted and stick when they get damaged.

#14 5 years ago

100% right. I found that the leaf switch was all used up! It was easy to decide that it was bad after it basically welded itself together. haha. Thanks everyone for your kind input

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Mrpvmoore:

100% right. I found that the leaf switch was all used up! It was easy to decide that it was bad after it basically welded itself together. haha. Thanks everyone for your kind input

Did you try cleaning the switch contacts with a flex file or similar burnishing tool, and checking that the gap is not too small? Have you solved your problem?

I was just working on a Pinbot machine that had a similar problem, the flipper would sometimes stick on after letting go of the flipper button. Turned out there was little to no gap on the flipper switch. Cheers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Weyburn, SK
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-3-5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.