(Topic ID: 73927)

Gottlieb System 1 will not score 10 points

By eckertsbrew

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Close Encounters Switch Matrix-835.png
    Capture.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eckertsbrew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Hello,

Hope someone can help me. I have the machine up and running but it will not score from any of the 10 point switches. I have checked and cleaned them all about 5 times.

Thanks

#3 10 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Have you gone into test mode and done the switch test? You make have a switch stuck closed.

I have installed a Ni-Wumpf CPU and have tried the switch test but when I press any 10 point switch it does not display the switch number or clean switch. I thought it was a stuck switch but I have adjusted and cleaned them all a few times.

Thanks.

1 week later
    #7 10 years ago

Thank you for the info. I will have a chance to work on it more this weekend. I will have to look at the dampening blades, I only checked the contact gap. I did check the pins at the CPU but will look at them again. A broken pin was my problem with random drops of the game over relay.

Thanks again.

1 week later
    #8 10 years ago

OK.
    Got a chance to look at all the switches and found all of them open, I even double checked them with a meter. The pins look good at the terminal going to the CPU. No broken wires at any of the switches. Not sure what to check at this point. One thing I forgot to mention is, all the switches worked no problem until a coil smoked on one of bumpers. I replaced the coil and then had the game over problem, repaired the pins and now the 10 point will not score.

Thanks,

Keith

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from fireball2:

+1 check the diodes. You probly blew a diode or two when the coil went.
    I would just replace them all since you have to snip them to test them anyway.

Thank you. I will do that tomorrow.

#11 10 years ago

I pulled the diode for the 10 point switch and it checked fine. I installed a new one because I had it removed. Any other ideas. I took a meter and check continuity from the diode to each switch and connection are all good. I also checked the open side of each switch to make sure none of them are shorted.

#13 10 years ago

Machine is Close Encounters. The coil that smoked was a pop

#14 10 years ago

If there was an issue with the strobe it would effect all the other switches, correct?

#15 10 years ago

At his point I am going to make up two wires with pins crimped on one end of each and insert them into the terminal points for the 10 point strobe and return. I should be able to touch the wires together and simulate a switch for the 10 point. This should tell me if the CPU is good and I will start troubleshooting the playing field switches, wires and connections.

If this sounds like a wrong way to go please reply.

Thank you

#16 10 years ago

Ok, got to work on Close Encounters some more. I have found the following.
    No 10 point switches will score or work in test mode.
    The number 3 drop target will not score
    The left & right roto switches on left & right drain do not score.
    This would be switches. 30, 31, 32 & 34
    Would this be a Strobe issue from the CPU?

Thanks

Post edited by eckertsbrew : forgot switch numbers

#18 10 years ago

Thank you WOZ.

I will install a new pin, check the connections at the Diode block and continuity at pin to diode block. Any other things I should look at?

Keith

#19 10 years ago

OK,
    I have switch 32 and 34 working but switch 31 and 30 will not work. I have replaced the diodes, checked all the wiring and finally removed pins A1J7-3 & A1J7-17. Then install new pins with a test jig, wired in a diode and tested right at the CPU. No 10 point or #3 drop target or switch 30 and all 31's. At this point I would think something is wrong with the CPU.

Would love some more ideas before I send the NI-WUMPF in for testing.

3 weeks later
    #20 10 years ago

OK pinball is fixed. I sent the CPU back to Ni-Wumpf and found the return line 3 on the switch matrix not working and it was under warranty so NO CHARGE.

Awesome!

Thanks for all the help.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eckertsbrew.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-will-not-score-10-points?tu=eckertsbrew and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.