(Topic ID: 242506)

Gottlieb system 1 troubleshooting MPU

By Doggy

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

I’m stumped on this board I was trying to rebuild. Here’s the problem
    I turn the machine on, I get the 5sec delay, then it boots. All 4 displays come on. When it flashes to high score it’s blank.
    The match is on 70 but the credits are blank. It will not coin up and the test button does not work. I thought the spider chip was toast, ( I luckily had a spare board with bad traces that had known good spider chips) I changed the U4 and U5 with the same type of chips (so I know their compatible). No change, it seems the problem lays with the coin door not getting the communication from the MPU. any help with this will be much appreciated...

#2 4 years ago

Check the diodes on the terminal strip in the cabinet.

Check to make sure you're getting continuity through the close switches.

Make sure the edge connectors are clean (if not, use a pink rubber eraser), and make sure the connectors in the housing are in good condition. More often than not, they need to be repinned. Check to see if you're getting continuity through the connector onto the board.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Switches_not_Showing_as_Closed_When_They_Should_Be

#3 4 years ago

Thanks for your reply, I should mention a good board plays flawless in this machine, so I know it’s isolated to the MPU,
    The edge connectors look bright, I may repin just to get a nice tight fit, but as I stated, another board works in this machine. Do you know if a chip on the MPU communicates with the coin door? I was hoping that it would be as simple as changing out a chip... thanks again...

#5 4 years ago

I didn’t. I do have a 5011 I guess it won’t hurt, Thanks for the suggestion, my nerves are shot from unsoldering the 4 spider chips. Then soldering 2 back in. Do you think it could be a memory problem??

#6 4 years ago

On Sterns I've seen bad or misconfigured ram result in garbage/blank displays/credits, might be a factor her too

#7 4 years ago

I’ll replace the ram chip tomorrow, but I’m not confident that’s the problem, I wouldn’t think the test button would have anything to do with the memory, but what do I have to lose...

#8 4 years ago

Do the displays "flick" when you press any playfield switch? Check the hex inverter chips above the switch harness edge connectors, one of those might be bad. If playfield switches make the displays flick, you might have to replace the single one controlling the coin door part of the harness.

#9 4 years ago

Check U8 and U9 they handle the switch matrix

#10 4 years ago

This is a system 1 board the spider chips are U1 U2 U3 U4 U5 and U6
    I changed out U4 and U5
    I changed out Z9 Z8 Z28 Z6 and Z7
    I don’t know what more to do on this board...

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from Doggy:

This is a system 1 board the spider chips are U1 U2 U3 U4 U5 and U6
    I changed out U4 and U5
    I changed out Z9 Z8 Z28 Z6 and Z7
    I don’t know what more to do on this board...

The "glue logic" hex inverters at U8 and U9 can be a definite culprit... they are highly likely to suffer alkaline damage when the on-board battery leaks.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-troubleshooting-mpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.