IMG_20180505_133918683 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180504_094419123 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180216_200924857_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20180213_170043456 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180302_164349697 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180302_164338482_HDR (resized).jpg
IMG_20180302_164414458 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I have always been interested in the prospect of re-themeing, and eventually building a pinball machine. I have always been intimidated by the programming. I consider myself reasonably intelligent, but really don't know anything about coding. I'm also not much of an artist, but I am decent at photoshop - so if I can find the artwork, I can apply it.

It occurs to me that if I just want to do a retheme, I could apply the artwork to this machine and call it done. After all, the System 1 ruleset is pretty shallow. For me, this is all about the learning experience for the Mission Pinball Framework. It is my hope that this thread will eventually become a valuable resource for anyone that wants to understand more about doing their own retheme / build.

More information about MPF:
https://missionpinball.org/

about the LISY1 and LISY80
http://www.lisy80.com/
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lisy-a-universal-mpu-for-gottlieb-system-1-80-80a-80b

IMG_20180302_164349697 (resized).jpgIMG_20180302_164349697 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180302_164414458 (resized).jpgIMG_20180302_164414458 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180302_164338482_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180302_164338482_HDR (resized).jpg

Quick video of my first connecting of my LISY1 to my laptop

Edit: It was called to my attention that the "B2" light isn't controlled. I wonder if this can be configured....

#2 6 years ago

Go for it! I'm just finishing up a re-theme using MPF and a P-ROC with zero coding experience and overall, have had a good time. The developers at MPF are very helpful on their forums and their online tutorials are pretty good. A few recommendations:

1. Don't set a deadline for yourself.
2. Start with a complete vision of the finished game - think out what you want first.
3. Plan ahead, but focus on one problem at a time.

Good luck with this and please post your progress over on the Pinside Home Brew forum!

#3 6 years ago

Great thread! My LISY1 board is ordered and on its way to Canada. I'll be trying it out in Torch as well before I transfer to the final destination of Joker Poker once I get that restored.

IMHO Torch rules are great as they are but I'd like to add a skill shot and attract mode.

Very cool how you can control the game over the network with LISY1... I'm really looking forward to playing around with it!!

#4 6 years ago

Cool, following. I plan to do this with my Cleopatra at some point to just expand upon the rule set some.

Quoted from woz:

Great thread! My LISY1 board is ordered and on its way to Canada. I'll be trying it out in Torch as well before I transfer to the final destination of Joker Poker once I get that restored.

do plan on changing anything up on the Joker Poker? I'm pretty happy with the pascal board in mine.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

Cool, following. I plan to do this with my Cleopatra at some point to just expand upon the rule set some.

do plan on changing anything up on the Joker Poker? I'm pretty happy with the pascal board in mine.

I wanted to randomize the card sequence so it's not so linear. I also wanted to do something with the A & C outlanes ...IIRC they are useless since they light extra ball when the ball drains but then the lit EB doesn't carry over to the next ball (maybe it does on the pascal board?)

#6 6 years ago

I've had a bit of a faltering journey so far with this project.

I bought this Torch last summer in "Almost working" condition. So close to working in fact, that I made an attempt to repair the original MPU board. For those not familiar with this boardset, I will say that working on these is a perilous journey. I think I only made the problem worse.

To replace the main board (MPU) and get this pinball up and running, there were a couple options. The least-expensive choice is the Ni-Wumpf board. Named after the Knights who say Ni! of Monty Python fame, the Ni-Wumpf can be configured to any System 1 game by the dip switch settings. I've used them before, and it is an easy drop-in replacement that will make your System 1 game play exactly as it did with the original board. Readily available from several US vendors. Price (as of March 2018) $199.

A more expensive and more feature-laden option is the Pascal Janin board. Available as a single replacement board... OR... if you were going through the effort to getting a Janin board shipped to you from France, why wouldn't you spend the few extra Euros and get the all-in-one master board? Either way, the Pascal board has really great features, including a Skill Shot and Attract Mode. Neither were available on the original pinball machine. (Well, not totally true. The original System 1 attract mode was a blinking light behind "Game Over") Available 159 Euros (about $197 USD) plus shipping at the time of this writing.

While trying to decide, I did come across this thread
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-and-system-80-support-in-the-mission-pinball-framewo

I certainly don't mind that it was some assembly required. Also that it could be programmed with MPF, it was a win-win for value and functionality. Full kit 70 Euros (minus the Rasperry Pi, which is available locally for the $10-20 range) Total $93.46 USD.

So far, the assembly of the LISY1 has been the easy part...

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I wanted to randomize the card sequence so it's not so linear. I also wanted to do something with the A & C outlanes ...IIRC they are useless since they light extra ball when the ball drains but then the lit EB doesn't carry over to the next ball (maybe it does on the pascal board?)

Nope, does not carry over. Random could be cool. sorry for the hijack songofsixpence

The all in one Pascal board is very nice, eliminates some of the connectors and simplifies things in the backbox, I have 3 of those and 1 of the Ni-wumpf.

#8 6 years ago

Hey TopMoose thanks for chiming in! I've been following your Flash to Queen retheme with great anticipation!

Quoted from woz:

IMHO Torch rules are great as they are but I'd like to add a skill shot and attract mode.

I agree, I don't know how many modes this setup is really capable of. But working on attract mode is what I want to work on first.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from BorgDog:

sorry for the hijack songofsixpence

No problem whatsoever. I certainly don't mind some lively cross-talk. I just don't want any drama

#10 6 years ago

When I first installed the freshly built LISY board it worked for about 1 minute. I hadn't noticed that a pop bumper had locked on. I noticed it in the same second that the solenoid fuse blew. So, adjust that pop switch, pop in a new fuse (see what I did there?), and I'm back in business, right? ...Right?

Take two: New fuse, fixed the switch. Powered it on and the playfield was dead.

Take three: Reseated the connectors. Still no solenoids. At this point I was tired and irritated, and it would have been smart to just step away from it, and start fresh tomorrow. Instead, I started messing with the fuses, while the game was powered on. When I touched the solenoid fuse, every coil fired in quick succession. BAM-BAM!!! That can't be good.

On reset, the solenoids still didn't work, and now the display read "ERR 9" At this point, I seriously considered throwing this off a roof. Cooler heads prevailed.

After consulting with bontango, we diagnose the Sol & Lamps PIC chip got cooked. He offers to either email me the hex file for a PIC that I could source locally, or could send a new PIC for 5 Euro. I choose the latter.

Somewhat ironically, the entire LISY1 board kit took 7 days from Germany to my door. But after two weeks, I was still waiting for my replacement PIC. In the mean time, I had placed a Mouser order, which included blank PICs. I asked bontango for the hex file, which he had emailed to me. I finally got the replacement PIC. Unfortunately, it had been mangled during shipping.

IMG_20180213_170043456 (resized).jpgIMG_20180213_170043456 (resized).jpg

Luckily, none of the pins were broken, and after a half-hour of careful straightening with duck-bill pliers, I was able to install. But first, to be careful. I pull the solenoid fuse before I boot the machine.

Take 4: It powers on just fine. I shut it off this time (still being careful) and replace the fuse. I power it up annnnnnd... Error 9. No solenoids. Damn. So much for careful.

It didn't occur to me to examine the driver board. It had previous work done, but had checked out. At least, it checked out before I blew up the PIC chip. Now I take a closer look at the driver:

IMG_20180216_200924857_HDR (resized).jpgIMG_20180216_200924857_HDR (resized).jpg

Doesn't take a whole lot of diagnoses to see the issue here. That tip and the corresponding blocking diode both fried. Further testing shows that it leads to the dead leg on the PIC. I fix the driver board, and start down the garden path of PIC programming. How hard can that be? I have a PROM programmer that I borrowed from a friend. Unfortunately, it doesn't recognize the chip. So I buy a China-made PICkit 3 programmer....

I am well aware I am getting half-bucked to death by now. Then I spent several hours trying to get the programmer to work - without success. Now I was getting kicked in the balls too. I finally got it working when I downloaded a different PIC programming software. Finally!

Take 5 is it? Installed the newly programmed PIC and fired it up. I'm finally back to where I started a month ago...

#11 6 years ago

I've been on a roll!

Put about 30 games on, and it's been solid. Also, I had acquired a non-working sound card on ebay (I lucked out, it happened to have the right PROM) - and tonight I got that working too! Here's a short video. Can you tell which pop bumper has been disassembled and cleaned up?

#12 6 years ago

Still waiting for my board to arrive..I can't wait to get it my LYSY1 up and running in my Torch too

songofsixpence where did you download the Torch ROM files from?

BTW try changing the S1 switch (Sound/Tone) to on the soundboard it sounds much better in the other mode IMHO (not sure if it's sound or tone lol).

1 month later
#13 5 years ago

Couple updates:

Took a while for me to get Mission Pinball Framework up and running. Apparently, there is an issue with my HP laptop, and it's only with MPF. That laptop runs fire otherwise. Even after a factory restore, it would still not launch, or run MPF without crashing. After several weeks of head-bashing and hair-tearing, I started to make actual progress when I borrowed my wife's computer. Since then, I've been able to install and run MPF without crashing. I've also been able to connect to the LISY board wirelessly. I've even created an attract mode

#14 5 years ago

I am scheduled to bring this machine to Allentown for Pinfest. It will be in the free-play area for both days. Proof of concept for the LISY1 MPU board.

#15 5 years ago

The LISY1 has made it to Pinfest! Not running custom code yet, but has playing all day without issue.

IMG_20180504_094419123 (resized).jpgIMG_20180504_094419123 (resized).jpg

#16 5 years ago

nice, good to see it can handle a show. I have an interest in trying the LISY1 for my project(dead mpu) Hulk. Thanks for sharing your progress.
-Mike

#17 5 years ago

Great! But I think in your case, you will need the LISY80

One thing I would mention is the LISY board does take 35 seconds to boot. It's not a problem for me, but I feel it deserves to be mentioned.

But I think it would be awesome if you decided to try to program your Hulk with the Mission Pinball Framework. You could do all sorts of custom call-outs

#18 5 years ago

Even the great NicoVolta stopped by to check out the Torch!

IMG_20180505_133918683 (resized).jpgIMG_20180505_133918683 (resized).jpg

#19 5 years ago

I had asked around about converting my sys 1 hulk to sys 80 since the mpu was dead anyway but the information was very scarce as only a few sys 80 hulks were built. But I like the Lisy setup. Maybe use the Lisy80 setup to convert the hulk over? Any thoughts on that?
-Mike

#20 5 years ago

Yeah, I was mistaken. Hulk is a System 1.

I don't know what is the difference between the LISY1 and the LISY80. Perhaps bontango could weigh in on that. Maybe it would work, if you wanted to program your own code from scratch. Don't know if the LISY80 would run the System 1 PROM.

I had thought about trying to install a LISY80 in my Torch. It was more about wanting to add a sound card, which was not supported for the LISY1. But as bontango explained, "not supported" really just meant not working yet. So I'll be installing the "JustBoom" sound card on mine. Just waiting for a few components.

#21 5 years ago

Update on something from an earlier post:

The original Sys1 board would boot, but didn't work at all. Upon close examination, I found this Z6

IMG_20171125_163752192 (resized).jpgIMG_20171125_163752192 (resized).jpg

I tried replacing it but that flamed out too. Later I put the LISY1 board in it, and blew that one -- Twice! Before I realized that the driver board had some issues, and fixed them, and fixed the LISY for the third time. I guess the third time really is the charm.

I had since ordered another Z6, which I tried today. What-do-you-know... it works!

IMG_20180506_172232648 (resized).jpgIMG_20180506_172232648 (resized).jpg

#22 5 years ago

I have some research to do.
-Mike

#23 5 years ago

songofsixpence : happy to see that your Torch with LISY1 got some attention on the pinfest
Soundcard support for LISY1 ( pinmame & mpf ) will be ready in next version (4.07) end of the month at the latest
see here mpf sample config: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/examples/lisy/index.html?highlight=hardware_sound
with that you can play mp3 files with LISY and do easy 'text_to_speech'

Grizlyrig : with LISY1 there will be no need to convert your Hulk to system80, except you want to add more lamps, coils, switches
as system80 does support a bit more than system1 ...

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from bontango:

grizlyrig : with LISY1 there will be no need to convert your Hulk to system80, except you want to add more lamps, coils, switches
as system80 does support a bit more than system1 ...

Thank you for that info
-Mike

3 weeks later
#25 5 years ago

Awesome project! Did just find this thread recently because I usually only check the homebrew section of pinside. I guess it would make sense to move the thread there too. There will be also more MPF users reading it in case you need any help with that.

Jan

3 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

I was just talking to a buddy of mine that was thinking of retheming his sys80 Raven to a Predator theme. Of course the ability to use mpf for sound is the tipping point that makes it a worth while project.

I had fixed my sys1 ss Cleopatra, but am thinking of a retheme, I was going to do a scan and redraw my backglass... However, if I can add sound with the lisy1, a retheme to either the 5th element (70's style) or a simplistic Stargate theme.

Sorry to be a tangent, but is it possible for your project to include a lcd for dmd effects and/or video cut scenes with MPF?

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I was just talking to a buddy of mine that was thinking of retheming his sys80 Raven to a Predator theme. Of course the ability to use mpf for sound is the tipping point that makes it a worth while project.
I had fixed my sys1 ss Cleopatra, but am thinking of a retheme, I was going to do a scan and redraw my backglass... However, if I can add sound with the lisy1, a retheme to either the 5th element (70's style) or a simplistic Stargate theme.
Sorry to be a tangent, but is it possible for your project to include a lcd for dmd effects and/or video cut scenes with MPF?

Yes that is possible but you obviously have to modify your backbox. Any normal LCD monitor will do the job.

Jan

1 year later
#28 4 years ago

Resurrection.

I am at a point i want to do a retheme on my cleopatra.

I am considering a major mod and retheme to a Katy Perry Cleopatra.

Anyone else dump code for system one or willing to share where they found code or converted for mpf for a system 1 game?

#29 4 years ago

There's two places you can get a working config:

There's my old progress thread for making a complete config for Solar Ride. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/mpf-users/cOQKDQIIu-g/l4_tFuo1DQAJ

Also, the current LISY software image for the Pi should include my current config for Solar Ride.

8 months later
#30 3 years ago

Just an update I am ordering pcbs and will be assembling the other two and posting on my website with the pinball cup holders I am selling.
Pinballcups.com

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-to-lisy1-mission-pinball-framework-retheme?hl=lynnindenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.