4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by metalguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi there, New to pinball and electronics in general. Have learned alot online and from local pinball club. Still have a long way to go.

Ok so I have read clays guide and tons of forums. This is gottlieb system 1. Heres the deal I have 2 Stock control boards. Board #1 So far I have removed the battery and neutralized the alkalyd under the battery (there was very little on this board compared to others I have seen) and no fume related damage above battery I can see. Retinned a couple of edges that were skechy, now have continuity. Re pinned the connector a1j6. The other 2 look really good, still springy and still shiny. ( I know your going to say to repin anyways). Off board batteries installed. Small transformer fuse mod. Ground mods done. Checked all coil resistance OK. Checked coin door and tilt switches and coin switches. All voltages seem ok by clays guide going from board to board one at a time. Checked driver board transistors. I did inline diodes between driver and mpu and checked for continuity. Checked switch matrix diodes in circuit for conitinuity ok.

Board #2 all same things done but it had a bunch of battery damage, I retinned what it needed and have continuity ok I think.

Hook up board #2 (ugly board) boots up 5 second delay.

Hook up board #1 (the clean one) no delay lights up no boot. Would this be the u5 spider chip?

So back to board #2 it boots and plays. All scores displays seem fine. Kicks the ball out all solenoids seem to work and most switches seem to work after cleaning. None of the score switches appear stuck closed.
    When starting a game it is all mixed up, some bonus lights are on when they shouldnt be, almost every switch scores 1000, and some switches score 10 and should be 100 or 500. Stuff like that. Where should I start looking. Ground issue? Repin?
    I know I will probably eventually buy a pascal or ni wumpf but I'm on a mission to get one or both of these boards working just as a learning experience. If you think I missed something or should go back and check again let me know. I really suck with schematics dont get it yet but im picking it up slowly. Thanks alot

#2 4 years ago

It’s very good of you trying and taking on repairing these system 1 boards but the major problem is the spider chips.There’s no way around them except to put in the newly designed boards.

#3 4 years ago

Do you have a correct game prom for Solar Ride (marked "E") on the board?

#4 4 years ago

On my Solar Ride had similar weird issues at startup. Ended up putting in sockets and changing these 3 chips...

Then it worked fine. They are in the corrosion zone and can get stuff underneath the chips

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #5 4 years ago

one has it marked E the other doesnt but they are marked 6351. I did not try to take them out and clean the legs yet. Maybe I will switch chips and see what happens. I also noticed the color code wires for a1j6 is not exact in the book some only have one correct color but are in correct position.

#6 4 years ago

One is an I prom from pinball pool! Just checked, I have the E will switch out and let you know if it works! Duh! Thanks. I have to say as a person with an insane amount of hobbies pinballers are the most helpful.

#7 4 years ago

AH HA! That was it Wrong prom! I hoped it was something easy. Are those proms still available and the 7404 chips? I would still like to trouble shoot the cleaner board of the 2. Non booting would be the 7404 chips or the u5 spider correct. If I just find a couple of donor boards should I just try spider chips for the hell of it? The whole testing with the logic probe is kind of confusing to me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.