6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pk98
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

System1psu (resized).jpg
    System1psu (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I recently brought home a dead Gottlieb Close Encounters that was in storage a long time.
    The battery was not removed and I was not fortunate enough, so the control board needed alot of attention
    to replace a few parts and repair a load of traces.
    But with this done, it powered right up, and all the coils and lamps work.

But the capacitors C1 en C6 on the power board were dried out and leaking so i decided to replace them all.
    C1 4700uF 35v
    C3 470uF 10v
    C4 1000uF 35v
    C5 47uF 63v
    C6 220uF 160v
    C8 10uF 160v

After this I measured the outputs. +5V and -12v for the cpu were ok. 60v and 42v for the displays also
    but the 4 and 8v reference for the displays were way to high. 12 to 14v

Now i have replaced Cr21 with a new 8.2v zenerdiode and Cr22 en cr23 with new 4148 switching diodes.

Now the +8v is there but i've lost my 5v output getting only 3.4v and the 4v output is only 2.1v

Any advice on where to look to repair the 5v output?
    Also the place for resistor R1A is not occupied, but mentioned in the schematics.
    But looking on google and ebay for other references. it is missing on others aswel.
    so i guess it is not needed?

Thanks to any that can help me debug this problem.
    I added an image with the voltages i measured on the 723 regulator ic

#2 6 years ago

I hate to be blunt , but - You should have just thrown it in the trash and bought a new one !

#3 6 years ago

TenaciousT, nahh now whats the fun in that
    The best reward is to see the thing working again after some tinkering.

System1psu (resized).jpgSystem1psu (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

Well I think the difference is it's more Fun to play pinball than to tinker with that .

#5 6 years ago

When you are measuring these voltages -- which ground are you using?

What is at R1A?
    That one is in the direct output path of 5V, without it - you won't get anything.

#6 6 years ago

R1A is a redundant component to position R1B (right next to it) which should be populated. R1A is very close to the edge of the board so 1B was a better choice for using only one of a higher wattage resistor.

One of the most common reasons for low 5 V AFTER servicing the regulator board is a bad connection at the solder leads of Q1. It may be necessary to remove the board again and reflow solder around the feed through eyelet for the Base and Emitter leads so they are soldered well to the traces.

A bad trim pot (R4) can also cause flakey operation. If you don't have a sub, with power off, turn it back and forth several times leaving it at center position. Power up with MPU disconnected and set 5 volts for 5.15. power down, reconnect MPU and then test again at the MPU caps. Carefully adjust as needed for approximately 5.10 one the MPU board.

#7 6 years ago

Resistor R1b i have 0.6ohm so its just a moved R1a then.
    Thanks for the info CactusJack.

G-P-E
    grounds for +5 -12 +4 and +8v were taken from connector j2
    ground for 60 and 42v taken from connector j3

measurements on the ic also from j2 since its part of the 5v circuit

#8 6 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions CactusJack
    I removed the thyristor reflowed the solder around the throughhole ringlets.
    Put back together. 5v not yet restored.
    Collector (screws) of Q1 has connectivity to pins 7 and 8 of the 723 regulator
    Base connects to pin 6 of Q1
    Emittor connects to resistor R1B

Pot full open measures 1kohm but doesnt seem to influence the voltage.

edit
    Problem seemed to have been a dirty potmeter.
    Cleaned it with contact cleaner, full down 0 ohm, up 1kohm
    But now my 5v voltage is a bit high. Pot all closed (no load) i get 7.1v turn all the way up 10.4v
    Turned all the way down, with load of mpu I measure 5.8v over C16 on the mpu.
    The mpu starts up normally and a game can be started.
    But is this within accepted range? or how can I lower it still?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-powerboard-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.