4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by arolden
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone.

Need some help troubleshooting a Gottlieb System 1 board set. This board set was acquired a couple of years ago and was in poor condition. Looks like it had sat in a warehouse for many years. So I am trying to get it back up and running.

The power supply is in original condition and (surprisingly) it actually works OK. Only the 8v output from the power supply is low; other voltages are OK. I will rebuild the board soon but for now I want to see if I can get the CPU to boot. So, I decided to connect the CPU to the power supply and checked for 5v at C16. However as soon as I connect the CPU board, the 5v circuit drops to about 1.8v. Initially I thought this was because of a bad connector, so I used jumper wires to connect the power supply outputs to the CPU and bypassed the crappy connectors altogether. The voltage is still too low.

I was pretty confident that this was some kind of poor connection issue until I hooked my meter up to the 5v output on the power supply as I plugged the CPU board in. The moment the CPU board is connected, the 5v line drops to 1.8v. This is at the power supply output, not on the CPU board! So it's definitely not a connector or wiring issue. So for some reason, the CPU is dragging the voltage down. What should I be checking first? Is this an issue with the CPU board, or more of an issue with the power supply not being able to handle the load of the CPU?

Thanks for any help.

#2 4 years ago

System 1 cpu boards use +5 volts and -12 volts. Does the board still have the nicad battery connected? If so, a bad battery can drag down voltage.

#3 4 years ago

It did have a NiCd battery but I removed it before I started troubleshooting.

#4 4 years ago

By the way, I am not testing these boards in a game. I only have the board set and a transformer panel. So the power supply is the only board plugged in.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-power-supply-voltages-getting-dragged-down-by-cpu and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.