Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Cheddar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'm not an electrician so forgive me if I say something wrong. I've got a system 1 (pinball pool) machine that is all original, no modifications at all, and both of the power supplies are toast. I understand that replacing the MPU with the Ni-Wumpf board eliminates the need for all but a "5V power supply". Replacing the displays with the Boston Displays eliminates the need for the 69 VAC. So if I replace the MPU and the displays, and use an ATX power supply to provide the 5VDC needed for these 2 items, what other voltages do I need to plan for? Does this eliminate the need for the driver board? Can I eliminate both the bottom panel transformers (remember, both of mine are toast). I have no real issues with getting creative and utilizing different power supplies to provide additional voltages but am unsure of what the remaining requirements would be, or if the 5VDC would take care of all the needs once the MPU and displays are replaced. Is there something somewhere that outlines the modifications I would need to make, including below the playfield? Any help would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago

I put the Pascal board in my Pinball Pool and Spiderman and they have been wonderful. I will not use anything else.
One board replaces everything.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Mikewd:

I put the Pascal board in my Pinball Pool and Spiderman and they have been wonderful. I will not use anything else.
One board replaces everything.

The all in one requires a power source from the small transformer, I’d have to look back at my documentation. 14v maybe? It was an odd voltage. The mpu/cpu Lisy1 will also work

Edit ahh found it

“ Note that the all-in-one Pascal PI-1/X4 board requires a transformer with working 11VAC and 14VAC voltages--it cannot be used in combination with a switching power supply”

#4 3 years ago

Uses a standard 12.6VAC transformer - very common voltage.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from darrellmyers:

I'm not an electrician so forgive me if I say something wrong. I've got a system 1 (pinball pool) machine that is all original, no modifications at all, and both of the power supplies are toast. I understand that replacing the MPU with the Ni-Wumpf board eliminates the need for all but a "5V power supply". Replacing the displays with the Boston Displays eliminates the need for the 69 VAC. So if I replace the MPU and the displays, and use an ATX power supply to provide the 5VDC needed for these 2 items, what other voltages do I need to plan for? Does this eliminate the need for the driver board? Can I eliminate both the bottom panel transformers (remember, both of mine are toast). I have no real issues with getting creative and utilizing different power supplies to provide additional voltages but am unsure of what the remaining requirements would be, or if the 5VDC would take care of all the needs once the MPU and displays are replaced. Is there something somewhere that outlines the modifications I would need to make, including below the playfield? Any help would be appreciated.

Do you have the manual and schematics?

Ah here is a better break down of power

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/#power

#6 3 years ago

I thank you for your quick response because I'm in limbo on deciding what parts to purchase, but unfortunately, as I stated in my earlier post, I'm not an electrician and am really unsure of a lot of things and need to get some specific answers:
1. by replacing the original MPU with a Ni-Wumpf (this board is only $178) that only requires 5VDC, can I eliminate both the transformers in the bottom panel?
2. There are 2 bridge rectifiers that provide 25VDC and 6VDC. I've tried to decipher the schematics but no luck so far. Did these 2 voltages power anything that the 5VDC doesn't power?
3. What happens to the power supply in the backbox? do I eliminate it as well?
4. Is the driver board still needed? if so, what will power it?
5. If there is a need for an additional power source, maybe for some of the playfield solenoids? I've found several options to provide a DC voltage of my choosing, but am unsure of what that voltage needs to be. Any ideas here?

#7 3 years ago

As an update to my last post (several other people have replied since then) -
Yes I have the schematics but I'm not comfortable with interpreting them. Most of what I've seen (in the replies) seem to favor the Pascal board, so I will now reconsider my preference for the Ni-Wumpf board. From what I see on the picture of power breakdown, I would still need to supply 24 VDC for (playfield?) coils, 6.3VDC for general illumination, and (a separate?) 6.3VDC for CPU lamps, although replacing the MPU (is this the same as what was mentioned as CPU?) might eliminate the need for this as well. How much of this is correct?

#8 3 years ago

Pascal for the win. My Genie has been bullet proof for years. Shows and everything. Solid.
Pascal also has ball save, skill shot, and some other groovy features

#9 3 years ago

As I posted above, if you want the pascal board, which I love and have used, it will not work unless you have the original transformers. If you want to run with your own power supplies, you'll need to source those voltages, 11ac and 14ac for pascal, or use replacements that do not require niwumpf and LISY1. I know the guy who created LISY1 is working on an all in one board but I do not know an ETA. However he also has sys1 led displays along with a couple other people (wolffpactec, etc) if you want a diy solution. Otherwise bostonpinball's are the ones of choice.

People have said this is possible, but no one has documented this process in detail. I had a joker poker I was going to do this with but had some life events and sold my projects. If you could source the bigger transformer used, you'll be most the way there.

#10 3 years ago

Just curious but how did you diagnose that the power-supplies are toast?

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Just curious but how did you diagnose that the power-supplies are toast?

very good question. And I would agree if the proper things are not tested/checked a blown fuse etc can make a transformer "seem" toast

http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/#power

Again following this link, it will guide you through testing. You can get your DMM out and start at the wall plug, then the cable that enters the game. I would say though, testing the transformer legs, be VERY careful as you could bridge or jump the ears in correctly and blow things up.

#12 3 years ago

I created a checklist for first time startup of system 1s. It is possible a rectifier is bad and that will keep power from getting to the power supply

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NV3NaXS6d696csiFSRcvi900dFwyPZSgFZfkDUwaZ4U/edit?usp=sharing

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-power-supply-issues?hl=mikewd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.