Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by G-P-E
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

In both the Gottlieb System 1 first time power on procedure video and Gottlieb System 1 Repair 1977 to 1980 instructions (1977 to 1980), they both reference replacing the existing filter cap on the power board (2900 uf / 12v) with a 6800 to 10000 uf / 50v cap.

This requires a modification to the board and I have never done this kind of work before. Is this update absolutely necessary and what is the downside to not doing the upgrade? If the upgrade needed is 6800 uf OK or is 10000 uf preferred?

In the interim, can the voltages be checked on the board per the video or do I need to hold off for now?

If cap replacement is required, the existing cap is axial (wires at each end) while the new caps I am seeing on-line are have snap connectors on one side. Are there instructions / videos anywhere showing how to do the actual modification.

Many thanks for the help

#2 3 years ago

Here's a more comprehensive guide on refurbishing the power supply: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Recommended_Power_Supply_Updates_.26_Repairs

However, since that power supply is difficult to work on, it might be worthwhile to instead just replace it with an aftermarket power supply.

#3 3 years ago

Was not looking to replace the board unless sbsolutely necessary.

Still need to understand what the issue is with the 2600 uf / 12 v cap and whether upgrade is a must or nice to have.

If yes to upgrade which one ... 6800 or 10000?

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from megoman:

Was not looking to replace the board unless sbsolutely necessary.
Still need to understand what the issue is with the 2600 uf / 12 v cap and whether upgrade is a must or nice to have.
If yes to upgrade which one ... 6800 or 10000?

Replacing all the capacitors is a must. Capacitors dry out and lose capacitance over time, and the ones on this power supply were already undersized as it was. Undersized 40-year-old capacitors really aren't up to the task on that power supply.

And yes, 10k. All the recommended values of the replacement caps are listed in the rebuild guide.

Additionally, there are several components that are always seriously heat damaged and should be replaced in addition to the caps.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from megoman:

This requires a modification to the board and I have never done this kind of work before.

As ForceFlow stated, this board is difficult to work on. I would agree just buy the aftermarket board.

But question....is this power supply working now? I agree the caps should be replaced at a minimum. If the board is working, then replacing the caps is probably all that is necessary. However, if the power supply isn't working, you may need more than caps. If the board isn't working, seriously consider just buying the new board.

#6 3 years ago

I have an XPin Sys 1 PSU board I can let go of. $80 includes shipping. Pulled from a Genie (I put in a Pascal All in One).

#7 3 years ago

Cap doesn't need to be 10000uF. Originals were 2900uF (non-standard value) and worked fine for years. Going to a 4700uF will be fine.
If you go too high then the 120Hz ripple current may be too high for the two rectification diodes.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-power-board?hl=tuukka and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.