(Topic ID: 234029)

Gottlieb System 1 MPU...why is -12v turning into +12v?

By Jakers

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by TK2012
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8015.jpg
IMG_8012.jpg
IMG_8011 copy.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I will preface this by saying I'm following the pinrepair.com Gottlieb system 1.

My power supply is putting out the correct voltages of +5v and -12v. When I plug in the MPU and test for voltages at capacitors C16 and C17, I get +5v on C16 which is perfect, but at C17 it tests as +12v. It should be -12v. What would cause this?

My multimeter is set to DCV and i'm testing the C16 and C17 capacitors with the red lead on the + side(top) of the capacitor and the black lead on the - side (bottom) of the capacitor. I'm testing the right way, correct?

#2 5 years ago

Where are you putting your leads? It's possible they're just backwards.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Where are you putting your leads? It's possible they're just backwards.

I just edited the original post with this:

My multimeter is set to DCV and i'm testing the C16 and C17 capacitors with the red lead on the + side(top) of the capacitor and the black lead on the - side (bottom) of the capacitor. I'm testing the right way, correct?

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I will preface this by saying I'm following the pinrepair.com Gottlieb system 1.
My power supply is putting out the correct voltages of +5v and -12v. When I plug in the MPU and test for voltages at capacitors C16 and C17, I get +5v on C16 which is perfect, but at C17 it tests as +12v. It should be -12v. What would cause this?

#5 5 years ago

Here is how I'm measuring voltages. Because of the comment by @zacaj, I switched multimeter leads for capacitor C17 and got -12v. Still, why is the -12v from the power supply turning into +12v at the MPU?

IMG_8011 copy.jpgIMG_8011 copy.jpg
#6 5 years ago

Leads are reversed for the -12V.
Black lead always goes to common (ground).
Ground is connected to the positive end of the -12V cap (C17) so you need to put black lead to positive lead of C17, red lead to negative end.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Leads are reversed for the -12V.
Black lead always goes to common (ground).
Ground is connected to the positive end of the -12V cap (C17) so you need to put black lead to positive lead of C17, red lead to negative end.

Thank you. So, I do have -12v at the board when measuring like this.

The next step is to connect the two score displays (J2 & J3) to the MPU and only have one score display plugged in when powering on. I don’t get anything on the display when powering on. I tried two other displays and get nothing as well. This looks like a dead MPU, correct?

Is it best to try and repair this board or go the route of purchasing a new NI WUMPF board?

#8 5 years ago

Could be bad CPU board but first verify voltages get to the display boards.
The 5VAC would be coming from the transformer and the 60VDC would be coming from the power supply board.

#9 5 years ago

So after measuring voltages and confirming I had voltage going to the displays...they started working. Not really sure how. Maybe a dirty connection got reseated or something. Anyways, here's where I'm at. Two displays work, one does not, one is missing a digit and the smaller credit display comes on sometimes. I have moved around the displays and the problems follow so I know it's not connector related.

IMG_8012.jpgIMG_8012.jpgIMG_8015.jpgIMG_8015.jpg
#10 5 years ago

after extensive tinkering and research, I've come to the conclusion that the CPU is too far gone with battery acid corrosion. The game boots and flashes the high scores to date but I cannot credit up or start a game. I jumpered the common wire on J6 of the CPU to both coin-up wires on J6 and nothing happens. There's quite a bit of green corrosion around that area. The driver board looks great so I'm pretty sure the CPU is the downfall in this particular game.

My question now is, I have a Gottlieb Charlies Angles coming soon. Will I be able to test the Charlies Angels CPU board in the Roller Disco?

#11 5 years ago

You could changing roms and jumpers I think. Just get a all in one board.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-mpuwhy-is-12v-turning-into-12v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.