Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 88 days ago by Mombo-number-5
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_8044 (resized).jpg
IMG_8043 (resized).jpg
IMG_8041 (resized).jpg
IMG_8042 (resized).jpg
IMG_8040 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

I recently acquired a Charlies Angels solid state. When I first got it, it would boot up but not start a game. I re-pinned connectors A1-J7 and A1-J6 on the CPU, cleaned and re-flowed all the contact pads and did the ground mods for all 3 boards. The game then worked. I was playing for about 5 minutes and testing all the switches and coils. Everything seemed to be working but it started making some strange noise from the speaker so I shut it down. I unplugged everything and started over again with the www.pinrepair.com system 1 guide.

All the fuses check out fine and are the right amperage. The bridge rectifiers also check out fine.

When testing the input voltages at the power supply connector I have the 11.5v and 14v but the 69v is reading 0v.
I'm missing the +4 and +8 volts at the A2-J3 output.
+5v and -12v output to CPU are perfect.

What would cause the missing 69v AC at the power supply input?

IMG_8040 (resized).jpgIMG_8041 (resized).jpgIMG_8042 (resized).jpgIMG_8043 (resized).jpgIMG_8044 (resized).jpg
#2 3 months ago

AC is not measured to ground unless it is the center point of that winding. Measure the 69VAC from pin 6 to 7

#3 3 months ago

Here's a system 1 power on checklist I made based upon Clay's video. It is very specific about where to measure things. If you use it please make a copy first

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NV3NaXS6d696csiFSRcvi900dFwyPZSgFZfkDUwaZ4U/edit?usp=drivesdk

#4 3 months ago

There is a special transformer that likes to fail for no reason. I have seen quite a few of them fail. Would love to know why this happens when they system didnt cause it......

#5 3 months ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

AC is not measured to ground unless it is the center point of that winding. Measure the 69VAC from pin 6 to 7

Ok, so I measured pin 6 to 7 and am getting 69v and the missing 4 and 8 volts was my mistake. The power supply is working correctly. I plugged everything back together and the game plays again.

It does have some strange behavior though. It doesn’t want to add a second player most of the time and when it does, the playfield GI goes out like it’s been tilted. When I push the start button again, it resets and goes back to a one player game. I’ve never been able to get more than a 2 player game going. Also, the diagnostics botton on the inside of the coin door does nothing.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Also, the diagnostics botton on the inside of the coin door does nothing.

Try shorting the tabs on the switch. If that works, the internals of the switch may be corroded and you might need to replace it. Pbresource has them. Cherry e69 switch, if I remember right.

[edit]: http://www.pinwiki.com//wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Accessing_Bookkeeping_and_Diagnostics

E69-00A; with links to jameco, digikey, and mouser.

#7 3 months ago

After reseating the connectors it is *mostly* working 100%. The only things now that don't work are the coin slot 2 switch and the coin door slam switch. I can start a 4 player game, get to the diagnostics menu and that's good enough for me. Thanks for all the input, guys!

#8 88 days ago

First time I've seen the system 1 check list. That's outstanding (leave it to Clay). I probably did most of the stuff but never the same twice and in a hap hazard disorganized grab-ass-tic manner. I usually would just check the connectors, piss and moan about CPU corrosion, then check fuses and all the coils to make sure they are free and moving. Turn it on, and be very surprised if anything worked at all. This list will come in very handy in the next few months for me because I found a early solid state bone yard with a bunch of lesser system 1's in it. Don't ask. Tim/Stillwater, MN

#9 88 days ago

Oop's, Cheddar guy made that list it appears. (See... I'm unorganized...but it is 5 in the morning) Props to Cheddar guy.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 8.40
$ 49.00
Playfield - Protection
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 89.99
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 60.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Mods for your pinballs
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 27.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Iron Monger Decal Out of stock
Flashinstinct
Gameroom - Decorations
Gameroom Mods
£ 39.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 8,500.00
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 269.00
Displays
Boston Pinball Company
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside