• Latest reply 8 years ago by chrisnack
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0429.jpg
IMG_0428.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LynnInDenver.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 8 years ago

Check the power supply. Specifically test the 4V and 8V rails coming off the right connector, using the upper connector ground as they're actually generated off the digital voltages. Those are "reference" voltages for the displays. If they're not providing, it can cause ghosting.

We're awaiting a replacement power supply for our Solar Ride here (I may have screwed up the one that was in there), and we'll be able to see if that was our problem, but we were seeing the same thing, and our 4V and 8V rails weren't giving anything of value.

The missing segment might be an issue with the multiplexing chips on the right side of the MCU, or a bad pin in the connector.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from bstmstr:

Thanks, I'll check those pin volts. I just ordered a power supply since I've heard they should be updated anyway.
I was just rereading pinwiki and section 4.11.6 caught my eye. It talks about a bad R1 resistor. Could anyone tell me where and which resistor that is? I'm hoping maybe I could just remove what's there and replace it.
Thanks!

R1A is in the upper left corner of the power supply. It connects directly to one of the lines of Q1, on the same side the 4V gets pulled from.

We ordered a "tested as good" original type power supply from TNT Amusements to replace the one I appear to have destroyed in an attempted rebuild, but one of the plans is to eventually replace as much of the silicon as we can manage in ours.

For the record, on ours I was getting something like 1V on the 4V line, and the 8V line was reading less than half a volt... negative. But the power supply also looked like it came from a previously routed machine (my husband is sure this machine never saw an arcade in its life, he worked at arcades and saw the sorts of wear and tear that rapidly afflicts the routed machines), with odd bodges and lifted traces around the two MOSFET style transistors.

#12 8 years ago

Yeah, we got a replacement power supply in ourselves, albeit an old one because we're on a tight budget until early next year. Fixed the display issue up for us, but we're considering just replacing all the silicon when the money frees up.

Hoping your replacement power supply cures your issues.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from bstmstr:

The replacement worked. Yay!
Shows scores perfectly. Only weird thing is that when it shows high scores some of the segments are missing. And, credits are acting weird - when I first turn on the machine it says zero credits (should be 60+), after I play a game the credits show (60+).
For now, it works as well as I need. Maybe in the future I'll get a new MCU.
Thanks everyone for the help!

If it shows something really odd like that only in the high score, that's a sign of corrupted bookkeeping memory. Once it gets to that, you can clear the memory, and set the scoring tiers for extra balls and starting high score, and it'll be fine. In fact, I'll be doing that specifically before guests start arriving for our housewarming party, so that it plays like it would have in a real arcade.

Our machine has the same symptom, same "fixed once we reset and set" solution for each power on session... and we have no battery backup for the bookkeeping memory on the MCU right now, which is a big part of it. We're kind of in a station keeping until after our housewarming with ours... I'd like to fit a battery to it, even with the risk of getting close to it with a soldering iron... yet we're also wondering about replacing the MCU, driver and power supply outright, or if we'll even be keeping the machine in the long-term (2+ years). Although, admittedly, even if we replaced all that silicon, we'd still be well ahead if we sold the game off.

Regarding a replacement, I've heard good things about Ni-Wumpf, and also about the Pascal X1 and X1-4, the latter which also eliminates two harness interconnects by replacing all three boards in the head.

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from bstmstr:

Thanks Lynn! I did reset everything but the highscore display is still wonky. I'm only assuming it's the high score that shows. At the end of a game it rotates between last score and high score, right? If so, then it's the high score that shows corrupt numbers. I reset that info, but still it's wonky. Maybe I have to check the battery? I'll do that next time I'm able.

Do remember that you need to reset, then press the test switch to advance to the next test to save the memory.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider LynnInDenver.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-led-issue?tu=LynnInDenver and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.