9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2015-03-28 17.38.32.jpg
#1 9 years ago

When I turn on the machine, I get the attached picture while the MPU boots. When the score displays are all zeros, they work correctly. When the machine tests the displays, the #3 and#4 score displays work correctly and the Player 1 and 2 goes all the same 1,2,3,0,1,2,3,8,9,0,1.... and repeats. There is similar on the error on the credit/ball/match display. I believe it is something on the MPU causing this, but not quite sure where to go next after reading all the system 1 display troubleshooting guides.

It's not a segment issue, it's the number being sent issue. Please don't tell me ni-wumpf because I wouldn't have even bought the thing if I thought it needed a new MPU.

Thanks in advance.for any tips, pointers, links or help.

BTW, everything else on the game seems to be working correctly.

2015-03-28 17.38.32.jpg2015-03-28 17.38.32.jpg

#2 9 years ago

I am going to replace Z16 and will report back for anyone that may be having a similar problem.

#3 9 years ago

Just question, on displays mentioned "1" is "central" or "right side" ?

#5 9 years ago

Z16 was the culprit. I'm not sure if it was a bad solder joint, or a bad chip. I replaced the chip from a junk board and it's working great..

From here: http://tuukan.fliput.net/sys1_en.html#cpu

Display control
The displays are controlled by U6, with a few TTL IC's. 7-segment decoders Z16 and Z17 take care that the numbers shown look correct - if the displayed numbers look strange then one of these is probably gone. Z16 controls player 1 and 2 displays and the credit display, while Z17 handles player 3 and 4 displays. On score display driving there is a small circuit that makes number 1 to be shown with an extra eighth segment in the middle of the digit instead of the usual two right side segments. This is done with gates Z13/Z14/Z15. Suspect those if there are problems in showing number 1. The displays are multiplexed, meaning one digit at a time is shown. Digit selection signals come from gates Z18..Z21.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

small circuit that makes number 1 to be shown with an extra eighth segment in the middle of the digit instead of the usual two right side segments.

That was a reason of my question

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 7.50
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-joker-poker-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.