Gottlieb System 1 issue

By BywaterBros

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I have a Gottlieb Cleopatra system 1 game. I have replaced the power supply board, CPU, as well as the driver board. Game boots up and starts a game, flippers and scoring works for almost everything. I'm still have issues getting the chimes , the right and left hole kickers, or the top 2 rollovers to work or score. I'm new at this so if anyone could provide any suggestions that would be great. Fuses are all good.

#2 6 years ago

Have you repinned the connectors going onto the boards? The pins pretty much are guaranteed fail after 35+ years.

#3 6 years ago

yes I repinned the A1-J5, A1-J6 and A1-J7 connectors. Should I do the others as well? They look ok.

#4 6 years ago

Are you using the Ni-Wumpf CPU? Did try the coil test and switch test in the settings?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from BywaterBros:

yes I repinned the A1-J5, A1-J6 and A1-J7 connectors. Should I do the others as well? They look ok.

Go ahead and do the others. I went all the way down and even repinned the sound board connector on our Solar Ride. Worst case: It won't hurt, and it'll eliminate them as potential failure points in the near future.

#6 6 years ago

When I do a switch and coil test some work and some don't. The right and left outhole are registering points but aren't firing the ball out, no chimes at all. I'll replace the other pins and see if that helps. Think it could be something else? It is a Ni-Wumpf CPU.

#7 6 years ago

Here is a good guide: http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/index.htm Try 3 d step 3 and ground the tab and see if the coil fires.

#8 6 years ago

I repinned almost every connector and I'm still having the same issues. Its seems like a certain section - chimes, right and left holes, roll overs- aren't getting power/impulses etc? Not sure what to do?

#9 6 years ago

Did you replace the boards with new boards or used boards?

#10 6 years ago

They all new boards. The original CPU was very badly corroded and still had the original battery on it so it needed to be replaces. I put a new Ni-Wumpf CPU in as well as a new Power supply board. It powered up and just about everything worked except the chimes, right and left kick out holes as well as the top 2 rollovers weren't working. I assumed it was a bad relay board so I replaced that as well. Still have the same issues now.

#11 6 years ago

Check the diodes on the back of the playfield.

#12 6 years ago

Thanks, I'll check them with a multimeter.

#13 6 years ago

all the diodes under the playfield as well as on the bottom board registered readings of around 0.3. Anything else it can be?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from BywaterBros:

all the diodes under the playfield as well as on the bottom board registered readings of around 0.3. Anything else it can be?

I spent weeks trying to figure out why my ten point switches wouldn't register. I had a new pascal Janin 4 in 1 board, I repinned all the connectors, replaced bad diodes, still nothing. Then I started looking at the wire codes for the A1-J7 connector and I realized that someone before me mixed up the blue wire with the blue and white striped wire. I had just copied what they had done when I repinned them, bad move. I put the wires in the right place and presto, it was fine. Lesson learned-never assume the person before you knew what they were doing!

#15 6 years ago

You can also contact Ace at NiWumph, he is great.

1 month later
#16 6 years ago

I've checked just about everything and I still have the same issues. I tried Ripples advise and attempted to fire the problem solenoids by attaching one end on the ground inside the backbox and the other end momentarily on the metal tab of the controlling transistor and nothing. The knocker fires but not the chimes or knockout solenoids. I'm just about to give up.

#17 6 years ago

Have you checked for voltage at the problem coils with a meter?

#19 6 years ago

Check the coil plungers to see if they move freely (with the power off). If they're melted (from a previous lock-on), then you'll find that things won't move. And if they've melted (sleeves or otherwise), then they'll need to be replaced.

#20 6 years ago

the coils all check out. In fact when I first put in the new CPU the chimes worked only for a moment .

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.