• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Tuukka
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Hi,
I am having an issue with my Roller Disco on startup and am looking for ideas where to start troubleshooting. Some times when I start the machine, it waits the 5 second then displays all zeros on the display or other times does not display anything. I can start a game but when the game starts, all segments of all the displays light up.

If I turn the machine off and back on again a few times it will boots normally and the displays work correctly. Any subsequent off/on works correctly.
The only thing I did recently was change the cabinet flipper switches and rebuild one of the flippers. :>

Ground mods have been done, the battery has been replaced with a button battery and the MPU looks clean. I am running with a new Rottendog power supply since the summer.

Thanks
Chris

#2 2 years ago

Really sounds like a bad filter capacitor, but since you have a new power supply, it is unlikely. Maybe you could try replacing the two electrolytics near power connector on MPU board.

Also, since you can start game but displays are not working, you could try some cold spray on display control chip U6 (10788) and see if that triggers the error even after some successful power-ups.

#3 2 years ago

Have you verified the exact voltage coming out of the power supply board?

Did you take the plugs/harnesses off and clean any of the contacts and pins?

Have you repinned any of the connectors?

#4 2 years ago

No I haven't cleaned or re-pinned any of the connectors. I'll check the voltages and then look at cleaning up the connector and checking the two caps on the MPU.

Any suggestions on how long to cold spray U6?

#5 2 years ago

Repin display and CPU connectors before you spray anything. It's a pita, but it works miracles on System 1's.

Assuming it's a factory CPU board, inspect the finger connectors for wear. Most all do have wear by now to some degree. Power supply fingers are most likely to be worn. If any are too worn, get a new board. CPU board also handles video.

#6 2 years ago

Good points on the connectors. They really cause most System 1 problems.

Cold spray is used for 1-2 seconds. If you try it, first let the game warm up so that it always starts correctly. Then turn off power, use cold spray on U6 and turn on again. If it now fails to display correctly U6 might be the problem.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-intermittent-display-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.