7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

b40_(resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

I have an original system 1 CPU that will not display the last digit when showing the high score, see the pic. It does display the scores with the last 0 normally. Anyone have an idea of which chip might cause this. I have a spare board to try pulling chips off of. The only other problem I have with the CPU is it does not fire the knocker.

b40_(resized).JPGb40_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Check the J3 connector for issues. Make sure the pins aren't faulty. If they haven't been repinned, it may be time to do so. Also be sure to clean the edge connectors with a pink rubber eraser to remove any tarnish that may have accumulated.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1#Display_Data_Problems

If that doesn't seem to result in any changes, take a closer look at pins in question are J3-9 and J3-11. Those operate the D1 and D9 digits on the score displays.

Test for continuity between the connector and the MPU. Then on the other end, between the displays and their connectors. And finally all together from the display boards to the MPU.

If everyting tests good, then it would be time to start looking at some of the chips on the MPU.

#3 7 years ago

Does the last digit work in the display test?

#4 7 years ago

The last digit does come on in the display test. It only does not come on when showing the high score. Edges and pins look fine.

#5 7 years ago

You will need to reset your high score and it should be fine

#6 7 years ago

Resetting the high score did the trick, thanks. I thought I had tried that.

#7 7 years ago

Yup, it sounds like you had garbage in the memory.

#8 7 years ago

Ah well, I went straight for the technical troubleshooting first. Yep, garbage values in memory are common and will do odd things. Usually, garbage characters get displayed instead of actual numbers, which tends to be the giveaway for that issue.

1 year later
#9 6 years ago

I just had the same exact issue come up. Resetting the High Score did the trick. Looking at some of the other audits there were other garbage values in there too. Out with the garbage.

Nice that I could find this post - the issue is clearly stated and defined in the title by the original poster ! Nice job...... and the bonus - a simple solution that I wouldn't have thought of.

Bumping this up for others to see.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-help-wont-display-last-digit-of-the-high-score and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.