• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

I recently picked up a Genie. Works but has a few bugs. No GI. Fuse keeps blowing. Figure it's a socket bent over on to itself but have looked and looked and can't find it yet.

Then there's the drop targets. Both are out. Found out the fuse was blown under the play field so I replaced it and turned it on. Fuse didn't blow but the 7 bank coils lock on. Checked the ohms on the coils and they were low. Cut the ground wire off and tested again they were testing fine.

Have brand new Ni-Wumpf mpu and driver board. Just original power supply. Wondering if anyone has ideas. And also... See the pic above... Power supply has two components cut off. Any connection? What do these two things do and why would someone remove them?

Thanks

#2 9 years ago

the two components that are cut off are SCR's. they are part of circuits called overvoltage crowbars. in case the voltage goes to high in the +5v and the -12v sections these crowbars will short out the output voltages and keep higher voltages from getting to the CPU. cutting out these SCR's is not a good thing. a possible power supply problem might have happened for someone to do this. the locked on solenoid may have a driver transistor on the playfield that is bad.

#3 9 years ago

Personally, I would replace the power supply board before bothering to replace the mpu or driver boards.

Having the correct voltages tends to solve a number of problems.

The first step would be to meter everything on the transformers, bridge rectifiers, and power supply board to check for voltages.

#4 9 years ago

start at the start... do not skip a step http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1/

until you repin the entire headbox loom (at least J6/J7 minimum) and rebuild that power supply its not going to work well

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Personally, I would replace the power supply board before bothering to replace the mpu or driver boards.
Having the correct voltages tends to solve a number of problems.
The first step would be to meter everything on the Transformers, bridge rectifiers, and power supply board to check for voltages.

Boards are already in. We're when I got it a week ago. Thinking replacing power supply board is the way. Is there any thing to know? Do I need a certain brand of power supply board to work with my after market boards or are all the gottlieb system 1 power supply's he same.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Boards are already in. We're when I got it a week ago. Thinking replacing power supply board is the way. Is there any thing to know? Do I need a certain brand of power supply board to work with my after market boards or are all the gottlieb system 1 power supply's he same.

I've read that the one from greatplainselectronics.com is good (you may need to contact GPE directly since it is listed as out of stock on the site--someone else said they build to order). Rottendog is probably a close second.

#7 9 years ago

Just finished another batch of these - most of them are at Pinball Resource, the few I kept for myself but sold all within a couple days.
A version of these is also available at Marco Specialties. Same board but they built them.
And there's also John's Jukes up in Canada.

1 month later
#8 9 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Just finished another batch of these - most of them are at Pinball Resource, the few I kept for myself but sold all within a couple days.
A version of these is also available at Marco Specialties. Same board but they built them.
And there's also John's Jukes up in Canada.

I got one! Perfect thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.