• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7096 (resized).JPG
IMG_7095 (resized).JPG
IMG_7094 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Genieye.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Man it is always something. I replaced all the Genie upper drop targets. That is a time consuming job with the springs, switches etc. I took the whole target box apart and got it all put back together. The targets all go up and down fine by hand but the coils do not energize to pop the targets back up. They worked fine before I took everything apart. I am wondering if I wired a coil incorrectly.

When I run a Ni-Wumpf coil test they do not fire at all. Is there a fuse involved there? The rest of the game plays fine just the targets stay down. I am hoping someone can shed some light on where to start. It was definitely something I did putting it back together. How can I tell if I wired the coils correctly? Here are a couple images of the box and coils. The coils are L then R. Thanks

IMG_7094 (resized).JPGIMG_7094 (resized).JPGIMG_7095 (resized).JPGIMG_7095 (resized).JPGIMG_7096 (resized).JPGIMG_7096 (resized).JPG
#3 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

orange and brown wire should go to the non-banded side of each coil. Brown-grey should go on the banded side. There's a single fuse that fuses both banks, so if your 4 bank works it's not the fuse.
Tried reseating A4J4 and the interconnect?

Thanks for responding. It is blowing the 2a slow blow fuse. Forgive me for asking stupid questions but am relatively new to all this. I have only had the Genie for a month and have been on a crash course ever since. I have learned so much but have only scratched the surface. On the left side of the left coil there is one orange and brown wire. On the right side of the left coil is 2 brown gray wires. When you say non-banded side what does that mean and is that coil wired correctly?

On the right coil you have 2 orange/brown on the left terminal and 2 brown gray on the right. That correct? If so then what else could blow that fuse? I tried to be meticulous putting the drop target box and switches together. It blows immediately and the fuse feels hot to the touch. I was feeling great as that was a tough job replacing the drop targets and now this. I am very grateful for your help trying to figure this out.

#4 4 years ago

I unsoldered the coils to see if something else was shorting the fuse. I put a 1a slo-blow in there as I only have 2 more 2a and cannot afford to waste them. The fuse did not blow so I must have the coils wired incorrectly. zacaj can you or anyone else help me get this straight. I sometimes go to the Finger Lakes and Pittsfield. I would buy you diner or drinks next time I visit if you can help me

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If you look at the diode on the coil, one end has a white stripe. That's the 'banded' side of the diode/coil, and is where the common high voltage (brown gray) line is connected. The other side is the one that goes to the driver board. Usually the banded side will have two wires since it's a common wire daisy chained through all the coils, while the non banded side will have only one wire. In this case since there's two coils together one of the non banded also has two wires.
1. Check the coil resistance
2. Check the diode, it may have shorted
3. Check for a short between the coil lugs and the drop bracket

Thanks! No one could explain it any better than that. Now that I cut the coils out of the equation and there is no blown fuse it would have to mean thy are wired incorrectly. Can you look at how they are wired and tell me if they are right?

On the left side of the left coil there is one orange and brown wire. On the right side of the left coil is 2 brown gray wires. When you say non-banded side what does that mean and is that coil wired correctly?

On the right coil you have 2 orange/brown on the left terminal and 2 brown gray on the right. That correct?

I really appreciate you taking a look.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

In both your pictures the band is on the right side. As far as I can tell they look like they're wired right.

I wired the left coil and the fuse did not blow. As soon as wired the 2 orange and brown wires to the left side of the right coil, fuse blows. Are the 2 orange and brown supposed to be on the left side of the right coil?

#9 4 years ago

Everything is fine but when I put the 2 orange/brown wires on the left side of the right coil, blown. All other coil connections are ok no blown fuses. I am hoping for help to get this straight.

#10 4 years ago

Man I could not be more bummed. Now all I get is nothing on the PF except the Extra Ball light, totally dead. The backglass is lit with Tilt/Game Over illuminated and the Shoot Again light is flashing. It seems as if something wants me to have an extra ball as those 2 lights are all that is lit on the PF and Back glass?? Blown fuse to all of a sudden to have the PF not light up? Only the Extra ball?

This all started when I replaced the drop targets. I went from the Drop Target coils not energizing to this? I checked all the fuses and they seem fine. What happened? I got a bunch coming for the holidays who hope to play the genie. Anyone want a deposit to your PP? Help me figure this out.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Waterbury, CT
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Genieye.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-genie-upper-drop-target-coils-not-working?tu=Genieye and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.