Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7023 (resized).JPG
IMG_7022 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genieye.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hello, I have my Genie in pretty good operating condition but the lower right pop bumper does not fire. It is a head scratcher as I do not see a coil for that?? I checked and adjusted the switch but nothing. Which coil operates that and any idea why it would not be working? Thanks I appreciate anyone's help.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

Hmmm,no coil for that pop bumper?

Thanks for all the responses so far. Yes its strange but there is a switch there but no coil. The left bumper has a coil right underneath it. I hope someone can draw me a map on this one.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

If you mean the slingshot above the second right flipper, there is no coil. It's just rubber and scores 10 points.

Thanks so much for that. Now I have a bigger issue I hope you can help me with. Its tough to finally get the game you have wanted for years and be so close to having it right but things keep happening. I am not sure if I am wiring this wrong but have fried 2 coils on the upper mini flippers. It hums when it is depressed and I can play it for about an hour then it blows the SB 5A fuse and the coil is smoking hot and closed up tight. The photos show the left mini flipper coil and of course the one on the right is the right mini flipper coil. I wired them exactly the same but it eventually just fries and freezes up. Are they supposed to be wired the same or differently? Something for sure isn't right. This is the 2nd right coil that this has happened to. Again, it plays for an hour then poof. Could it be the EOS switches? I hope someone can help me figure this one out. Going broke buying and frying coils!! Thanks.

IMG_7022 (resized).JPGIMG_7022 (resized).JPGIMG_7023 (resized).JPGIMG_7023 (resized).JPG
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

I’m sorry your going through this and I know it is frustrating but hang in there we’ll help you all the way.
Ok the coils smoking and getting hot means that they are locking on and yes this could be a EOS switch problem.Since you say you play for about an hour then it happens the EOS switches might be gapped to close.Or could be a bad/faulty diode on those coils or a bad transistors.From your pics I do see added wires to the coils,one is red/white to one coil and the other is solid red on the other coil.Did you just buy the game?The manual would be really helpful if you have it

I cannot thank you enough for helping me. These were both brand new coils so I don't think its a diode problem but will definitely check the switches. Only problem is I won't be able to get back to it until sometime tomorrow so I hope you all can hang with me until I figure this out. I did file the EOS switches and might have screwed them up. Possible?? Stupid newby trying to make the flippers stronger. I have learned a lot in a couple weeks but am still trying to get this right. I cant afford to be smoking $18 coils. Is there something I should be looking for on the EOS switches? The left is perfect, never an issue and break the glass strong. I wired the right the same way thinking it was right. I will check back in the morning and try to figure this out. Thanks to all of you!!

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

No problem my friend just take your time and also it’s a learning process as you go.
The left EOS would be in the same order as the right.Take a look at the left one and adjust the right one the same way.Make sure the gap between the blades of the EOS switch are even and not too close each other.Making the flippers stronger just needs a good cleaning and checking the coil sleeve,coil stop is in good shape not mushroomed.A good cleaning usually is all that it needs

Good morning, Well I pulled off the mini flipper switch and replaced the bad coil. Now the bottom larger 2 flippers work like a champ but the top right mini is very weak and intermittent. I have pulled that switch off, cleaned it and adjusted it over and over to no avail. Man this is about to make me a morning drinker. Any insight??

#14 4 years ago

Man am I relieved and happy right now. After following the great feedback here from all who responded and reading more about the switch operation from posts here all the flippers are really popping now and I do not hear that hum like before that fried the coil. One post discussed the fact you do not have to have the EOS switch very wide open but just enough so it does not machine gun. I then lightly sanded the switch and made sure it made solid contact and adjusted it so that it just opened a wee bit. Even the before very weak mini ones are great! I have learned so much in a couple weeks from this forum and can't thank everyone enough for their help. The game was also stopping mid game at times too and that so far seem to be ok.

The only thing left to make her 100% is the sound board is the original and produces nothing but a very high pitched sound like a house alarm. I have a separate post with a video of the sound. Nobody responded to that post and I understand that is a tough issue to correct but was hoping someone could provide some advice. Even though Genie did not have the best sounds I still want them like we all would. I hope this thread helps others who have these types of issues. Thanks again!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider genieye.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-genie-lower-pop-bumper?tu=genieye and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.