You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E5EF127D-11B5-4040-9941-A450D20A729D (resized).jpeg
21116C80-D8C9-41EE-BCB1-DC111CC3B9EF (resized).jpeg
7F17DEE1-523E-47CF-B123-7F4893291E0B (resized).jpeg
DF388E5D-2745-412B-9B57-7032200990B5 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballflare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Just finished restoring a Gottlieb System 1 Genie from 1979. The game works and plays great however it does not retain the high scores. It always shows the last score as the high score when the game is on. Once shut off , the last score is not retained either. I checked for power at pin22 on z22 and it is present. I have swapped a number of components from a spare board I have with no change in behavior. I unfortunately do not know the condition of that parts on that board, however I can at least say there is no change. I swapped z22, z5, c24, and u4; the board does not have battery damage. Lastly I did follow the trouble shooting in the Gottlieb manual and entered scores for book keeping 7-10 and they were not retained. Lastly, I know the one cap on the power supply can be suspect however I rebuild the power supply with all new caps. I am pretty much at a loss, so any additional thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

#4 6 years ago

Yes, I measured pin 22 of z22 with the power off and it checked out. I think the more telling issue though is that the high score is not retained game to game. If you play and get 95000 the game says high score to date is 95000. The very next game without shutting off the machine you score 30000, it now says high score to date is 30000.

#14 6 years ago

I don’t mind at all. You seem to be finding the same things I am. I replaced u4 and according to the pin repair site it says u4 and u5 have to be matched pairs. My original board was not but I thought I would try it and matched u4 and u5 per the pin repair website. Unfortunately no change. This is slowly driving me crazy.

#16 6 years ago

I can answer for me. I have the 4.2 volts or so, but the problem isn’t keeping the high score, the problem is it is not writing the high score to the ram. When going into audits, everything is 000000. I would set all the scores and high score in 7-10 use the slam switch to get out of the audits then go directly back in and 7-10 is 000000 again. Every game played indicates you beat the high game since it keeps the high game at 000000 and knocks three times. And it doesnt matter if you beat the previous game because it keeps comparing to 000000.

#27 6 years ago

Well after much frustration, I decided to sit down and scrub the schematics for what it could be. Z1 the 4081 chip was the issue. As soon as I replaced that, I could go in set the replays and the high score. Double checked it actually worked by setting some high scores on the game and it is fully functional. Hope this helps you with you issue too Arcade.

#29 6 years ago

I actually had a spare board that had acid damage so I pulled it from there. I usually get my chips from Great Plains though and they seem to have them in stock. Hope it works for you. Thanks to everyone that provided ideas and support.

#30 6 years ago

Note z1 is a 4081 chip for anyone reading this.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 7.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pinballflare.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-genie-can%e2%80%99t-retain-high-scores?tu=Pinballflare and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.