Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by djsolzs
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180423_214609 (resized).jpg
    20180423_214720 (resized).jpg
    s1drv (resized).JPG
    Inked20180422_223133_LI (resized).jpg
    #1 5 years ago

Working on a System 1 hulk and starting the troubleshooting process. All other components physically look good - except this transistor looks burnt up.

Anyone point me in the right direction as to where to look to identify what made it burn up? Thanks

Inked20180422_223133_LI (resized).jpgInked20180422_223133_LI (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

Looks like R39 burned up, which is part of the circuit for Q29, pre-driver for Q45, which controls Solenoid #8. You'll have to check which solenoid that is for your game in your manual, maybe the drop bank?

I'd replace R39, Q29, and Q45 to start. Maybe R37+38 too for good measure

See http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/System%201%20Schematics.pdf, pages 17+18

#3 5 years ago

Thanks for the help exactly what I was looking for and I think you are right on the drop bank but am having trouble identifying exactly.

Quoted from zacaj:

Looks like R39 burned up, which is part of the circuit for Q29, pre-driver for Q45, which controls Solenoid #8. You'll have to check which solenoid that is for your game in your manual, maybe the drop bank?
    I'd replace R39, Q29, and Q45 to start. Maybe R37+38 too for good measure
    See http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/System%201%20Schematics.pdf, pages 17+18

#4 5 years ago

Any chance you could help me with the values for Resistors? The following is what Ive been able to find:

Q45 - 2N3055

Q29 - MPS-U45

thanks in advance

#5 5 years ago

R39 is a 9.1ohm, 1W resistor. The others aren't listed on the schematic. If yours aren't too burnt maybe you can get it from the color codes?

#6 5 years ago

Yes I can do that - I just get nervous I will get it wrong but I guess I can match up after ordering. Wish i had a parts list to refer to - again thanks for your help

Quoted from zacaj:

R39 is a 9.1ohm, 1W resistor. The others aren't listed on the schematic. If yours aren't too burnt maybe you can get it from the color codes?

#7 5 years ago

But it Does say on the schematic:

s1drv (resized).JPGs1drv (resized).JPG

#8 5 years ago

Here are some close ups I'll try to match bands to what is listed above but I think the burnt up one appears in pictures to be different?

20180423_214720 (resized).jpg20180423_214720 (resized).jpg

20180423_214609 (resized).jpg20180423_214609 (resized).jpg

#9 5 years ago

Cant tell if the second line is blue or black - I think its black

So then I would have brown black orange gold and brown black red gold to look up? am I looking at this in the right way? Thanks

#10 5 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

R39 is a 9.1ohm, 1W resistor.

That is the burnt resistor. I looked it up as well. The board layout has it listed.

#11 5 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

Cant tell if the second line is blue or black - I think its black
    So then I would have brown black orange gold and brown black red gold to look up? am I looking at this in the right way? Thanks

That sounds right. The colors are hard to make out in the picture. See what those codes bring up, and then check the resistors with your meter and compare

#12 5 years ago

Br BL Or Gld - 10k ohms 5%

Br Bl Rd Gld - 1k ohms 5%

If thats correct - damn things are hard to buy unless you buy 20 pc. Wish I could order from Marcos since I have other stuff in my cart - thanks guys Ill have to check what is in there. The others dont "appear" damaged so I may test values or wait. Miss Rat shack

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-driver-burn-resistor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.