(Topic ID: 180356)

Gottlieb System 1 Displays - What do you guys think?

By Arcane

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC02659 (resized).JPG
    DSC02658 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I just received my Janin PI-1 board and installed it with just A1J1, A1J2, A1J3 and A1J6 connected. Basically, Power supply, Display controls and the Coin door switches.

This is what I am getting:
    DSC02658 (resized).JPGDSC02658 (resized).JPG
    Obviously, Player 2 and Player 4 displays seem to be good.
    Player 1 and Player 3 displays have issues as well as the Credit display.
    I moved the culprit displays around; apparently the issues are moving with the displays. Here is a closeup:
    DSC02659 (resized).JPGDSC02659 (resized).JPG
    What do you think can be done for these displays and the credit display? Are the chips still available?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.
    Yves

#2 7 years ago

With power off, reseat the connectors on the display a few times.

Retest.

The udn6118 chips can still be found. Sometimes the glass just fails too, rarely.
    --
    Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
    http://ChrisHiblerPinball.com/contact/
    http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#3 7 years ago

Be careful not to break the glass nipple on the back of the display!

#4 7 years ago

Do a diode test between the ground and five volt pins on the chips to the other pins, compare it with the good displays

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from woz:

Be careful not to break the glass nipple on the back of the display!

I usually put a glob of Silicon caulk on the hippie to help protect it before I do any work. It cures within 24 hours.

The display with bleeding segments probably has a short wither in the segment driver chip, the caps, or the resistor.

I would start by replacing the resistor. Then if that didn't work, test the chip, then if that's ok, replace the caps.

For the display missing the digit, that can be one of several things, which would be covered on pinwiki--the segment driver chip, connector issues, possibly a cracked solder joint on one of the legs for the glass, or a broken leg on the glass.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-displays-what-do-you-guys-think and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.