(Topic ID: 102768)

Gottlieb System 1 CPU - Why not repair?

By iwantansi

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I've got a small collection with a few System 1 games in it. I have accumulated about 5 of each of the driver and CPU boards

I don't want this thread to be about the aftermarket replacement boards - I know all about the Janin & Ni-Wumpf; whether it be their all in one boards or single replacement boards. I have the Janin board in my machines....

My question is why wont anyone repair the existing CPU board?

I have asked my normal board repair person as well as other board repair houses - nobody even wants to look at them.

I've got games that I may want to resell without the Janin boards - as most people arent willing to pay the $400 extra that the board is worth.

#2 9 years ago

Battery damage and obsolete spider chips

#3 9 years ago

Most aren't set up to even begin to work on an original Gott. System 1 MPU. Its not like you can find the spider chips off ebay from China like you can a 6821 or even 6532. Some of them contain custom program, all contain multiple functions. The only source for replacements is to pull them off questionable boards (which more than likely are toast themselves). They are not socketed and can't really be (Sockets were actually made at one time but no longer available and just introduce another time bomb for later). Two of the chips are paired together and if you change one, you may have to change the other with a matching partner. Unsoldering and resoldering and then doing it again and again on multiple spider chips is time consuming and risk damaging the board further.

Working boards with minor IC damage are still worth fixing. But putting a guarantee on the work is risky at best.

Back in the day, I had one known good board that was socketed and a good set of ICs on stand by. I used this to test chips I pulled from questionable boards. Bench time was worth about $35-$45/Hour. Then, System 1 games became worthless and it just wasn't worth the time, period. Now, bench time is worth $75-$100/Hour and its just not really cost effective to work on it for someone else that may end up frying it again or complain about its flakey-ness.

Certainly, with decent soldering/desoldering skills, it is worth saving for just the reasons you state (some titles aren't worth the extra cost of a new board). If you start with one known good board. You can depopulate it of the spider chips and install open face inline sockets and build your own spider chip sockets. But they have to be the wide open single swipe type since the legs are very delicate and you pretty much have to push each pin in gradually as you seat the chip. Then you could test and probably save a few decent boards.

#4 9 years ago

With NO source for spare parts ( 1752xx & 1753xx ) which MUST be paired, I stopped repairing customer's SYS1 - ten years ago.
For example, 25 years ago was here a great need for these chips and we contacted directly Rockwell for 1,000 pairs 1752/1752 - the answer was that the minimum order of 10,000 pairs to activate production

Basically, SYS1 (to me personally) is no problem to fix (in my workshop) but I do not want to "take" it and spend time if have no 1752/1753, which "go" (almost) exclusively due to careless handling in item minor repairs under the playfield

Greetings from Croatia

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Certainly, with DECENT soldering/desoldering skills, it is worth saving for just the reasons you state (some titles aren't worth the extra cost of a new board). If you start with one known good board. You can depopulate it of the spider chips and install open face inline sockets and build your own spider chip sockets. But they have to be the wide open single swipe type since the legs are very delicate and you pretty much have to push each pin in gradually as you seat the chip. Then you could test and probably save a few decent boards.

+1

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Ajax, ON
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

1,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Massillon, OH
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-cpu-why-not-repair and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.