(Topic ID: 104822)

Gottlieb System 1- help ... pretty please,with a cherry on top!

By E_N_3

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 192 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jboner1058
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
Close Encounters Lamps.jpg
image-384.jpg
Close Encounters Coils 2.jpg
Close Encounters Coil List.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
switchdiodes.jpg
diode.jpg
IMG_3792.jpeg
control board.jpg
SYS1_Driver.jpg
20140720212617449.jpg
20140720212125045.jpg
Close Encounters Coils.jpg
Close Encounters Coils.jpg
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 9 years ago

I picked up a nice looking Close Encounters locally and it was DOA. It turned on and some lights came on and that was it. I opened the back box only to find that every wire had been cut from their harness and direct soldered to the board, and even still the game was not working.

I thought, hey nice cabinet, nice play field, and nice back glass, all at a nice price, I will snag it and either find the issue in the game, and get it working myself, and worst case scenario, I will need to send the boards out.

I fiddled around and at this point, I am guessing the issue is something on the board, but it seems like not many people want to work on Gottleib System 1 boards. Who do you guys recommend. I mean sure, I can drop in a Pascal board or something, but I figured I should at least have the old boards looked at, and see if it is at least financially more logical to keep the old boards going.

For those wondering, almost everything is working, all the lights are on, the sounds, scores, etc, just not the flippers, pop-bumpers, slingshots, etc. basically the coils (aside from the could that kicks the ball in to the shooter lane, that one works). Maybe I am overlooking something and don't need to send the board out.

Any help/advise is appreciated,
--Ed

#2 9 years ago

Test your fuses, but honestly, if that does not fix them trash the boards. There are so many obsolete parts on them. I don't think anyone repairs them anymore unless it is for their own game.

#3 9 years ago

Fuses are the first thing I checked, re-checked, and checked again.

#4 9 years ago

Does the game boot up? Do the displays work and can you add credits?

#5 9 years ago

It turns on, and I can add a credit. I can load a game and the ball will eject in to the shooter lane. the lights and sounds respond on the play field respond when it rolls over switches or hits a rubber that has a switch behind it. BUT, the flippers don't work, the pop bumpers don't work, and the slingshots don't work.

#6 9 years ago

Sounds promising

Do the relays click 5 seconds after you turn on the game?

#7 9 years ago

If none of the solenoids work, maybe there's an issue with the driver board or the connections on the driver board.

Do any of the computer-controlled lights come on if you activate some of the switches on the playfield?

#8 9 years ago

Agree, I thought it was promising too....lol
I will check the relay thing tomorow, I never took notice of that.

#9 9 years ago

Yes, the lights do respond to activating switches, as does the scoring.

I feel like you are right, driver board is likely it. I also wonder if the connection will be the culprit, as the wires had been cut from their harnesses and soldered to the board directly. I am waiting on the parts order to put the harnesses back in the mix.

I wonder if a wire isn't making a good connection or soldered to the wrong location?

With this said, I also welcome all otter advice...as I don't know my way around a Gottlieb just yet; I am used to Williams, Data East, and a smidgen of Bally....lol

#10 9 years ago

There should be a fuse on the underside of the playfield for the solenoids. That might be a possibility as well if it was overlooked.

#11 9 years ago

yeah, i checked all the fuses, so I am doubting it is that -- unless it is a fuse that is hiding somewhere I don't know about ...lol...but I am also not ruling out a fuse that is toying with me....lol

#12 9 years ago

You said the outhole kicker works so the 24V fuse is OK.

When you press the start button does the Q relay (under playfield) operate?

Check the T and Q contacts highlighted below.

Close Encounters Coils.jpgClose Encounters Coils.jpg

#13 9 years ago

The pop bumpers and flippers are not controlled via the driver board, so that's not your issue.

Did you follow Clay's guides and make sure your transformers and bridge rectifiers are all good?

You need to throw away the old boards, repin all the wires into new connectors, and drop in a Pascal board. Anything else is wasting your time.

#14 9 years ago

Definitely check your tilt and game relays. If the motherboard is working properly that is the biggest deal (also the most expensive to replace). The driver and power supply boards can be repaired, if the MPU chips (main CPU chips) are bad, the MPU is bad. I've rebuilt a few Sys 1 Power Supplies now. Pain in the butt, as it takes about an hour but it is totally doable and with new parts it will last a long time in home use. All components on the driver board can be replaced (though some will be with substitute components).

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

You need to throw away the old boards, repin all the wires into new connectors, and drop in a Pascal board. Anything else is wasting your time.

I disagree here, that is if the boards work. If the MPU works, no need to trash it. Do the ground mods at least for all three boards. No need to replace what works, unless you just want to spend 200 dollars. I really like CEOTC, it's got a lot going for it, spinner shot, tough left, roto target, drops, rollovers for the special. If you want more features, then get the Ni-Wumpf or I would actually get the Pascal Janin board. If you know everything on the PF is good, maybe just throw down for the Pascal all-in-one board for about $300 - replaces all three backbox boards with one unit, very well made, and some extra cool rule additions that I think are even a step above the Ni-Wumpf.

#16 9 years ago

The Gottlieb System 1 MPU has spider chips that contain software and are unobtainable. It just isn't worth working on System 1 MPU boards. Purchase replacement Ni-Wumph is a good replacement as is the Pascal replacement, although the Pascal board is more expensive and shipping from Europe may add further to the cost. The Pascal board includes the driver board. It just isn't worth the time and effort to spend anytime on the CPU board.

http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System1CPU.html

The driver board can be repaired but replacements may be cost effective rather than repair. The edge connector fingers are usually worn/corroded and will require re-tinning.

http://www.ni-wumpf.com/System1Driver.html

You need to check the 5VDC at the CPU and check for AC ripple.

I would rebuild the power supply anyway. It's easy and cheap.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=GTLB1-PEC-KIT

Next you need to re-pin the connectors.

I agree with EMsInKC -- but would consider alternative boards from Ni-Wumph

#17 9 years ago

OP still hasn't established if the boards even need replacing yet. The game boots and the outhole kicker works, that's a good sign.

When the cost of a complete System 1 game is the same as a set of replacement boards it is worth trying to fix them.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from woz:

OP still hasn't established if the boards even need replacing yet. The game boots and the outhole kicker works, that's a good sign.
When the cost of a complete System 1 game is the same as a set of replacement boards it is worth trying to fix them.

this is what I'm saying.

#19 9 years ago

Sorry guys, I am still at work. I will be checking it out once I get home.
My original thought was to get a Pascal/replacement set if needed, but will the game fetch its money back in resale? I bought this game as a project to fix up and let go, so I am not looking to make it something to add to my collection long term.

#20 9 years ago

From the problem described, really good chance the MPU is NOT bad. Bad System 1's tend to be dead dead.

Follow Clay;s guide or the pinwiki to isolate it down. Did you check voltage at the offending coils? Did you test power outputs off the supply?

Anything else is just conjecture and buying parts you may not need.

#21 9 years ago

Okay, so I started off by cleaning the relays and it seems that one is sort of responding.
I also noticed that there is a coil on the door that is very temperamental and by wiggling the horizontal bar it is attached to it, it can actually cause the whole game to turn on and off.

i decided to start working on the chaos that is the harness wiring in the head. I need to de-solder, strip, pin, crimp, and harness nearly every wire in the back box. I figure I would get to work on this as maybe it would help my situation, but at the very least, it needs to be done if I need to replace a board or something.

#22 9 years ago

Before you rewire the game try this...with the playfield up manually hold in the Game Over relay and see if the slings, pops and flippers work.

I have added the voltages to the schematic to make it clear what is happening. If the outhole kicker is working then you must have +24VDC. The only thing preventing the slings/ops/flippers from not working are the T and Q relay contacts or a broken wire in that chain.

Close Encounters Coils.jpgClose Encounters Coils.jpg

#23 9 years ago

forgive me, what is the "game over relay" and how do i hold it in?

#24 9 years ago

Coils with a stack of switches on them. Usually with a big "Q" and "T" sticker on them. These are photos from my Sinbad:

The relays are in the lower left corner. You can see the yellow Q and T stickers on them behind the wires.The relays are in the lower left corner. You can see the yellow Q and T stickers on them behind the wires.
20140720212617449.jpg20140720212617449.jpg

#25 9 years ago

Really sounds like the under playfield Q game over relay is either mis adjusted, or not activating. Usually this is an easy fix. go to my website http://www.pinrepair.com/sys1 and i believe there's a video embedded there that discusses the Q game over relay and shows its workings.

Aside from that, jerry clause ( [email protected] ) repairs original sys1 boards.

Trashing good or almost good s1 boards is a bad idea. These games aren't worth a ton, having to buy new boards can quickly eclipse the value of the whole game.

#26 9 years ago

Fast question, where can I buy harnesses for system 1 boards?
I got the ones on the A1 board, but as it turns out, Pinball Resource doesn't have the ones for the A3?driver board.
I'm in need of A3-J2, A3-J3, and A3-J4.

I will try the relay test ASAP

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Fast question, where can I buy harnesses for system 1 boards?
I got the ones on the A1 board, but as it turns out, Pinball Resource doesn't have the ones for the A3?driver board.
I'm in need of A3-J2, A3-J3, and A3-J4.
I will try the relay test ASAP

Here's one source for those harnesses: http://www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com/harnesses/harness-index.htm

There's a few others too, but Big Daddy seems to be the least expensive.

#28 9 years ago

The big daddy link, and elsewhere on the site, dies not seem to have the harnesses I need. I need the ones for the A3, driver board, specifically, I'm in need of A3-J2, A3-J3, and A3-J4.

#29 9 years ago

Okay, I heald the "Q" relay and wallah ... All coils started working! Of course, they only worked when "Q" is heald in, but I guess this is help track the progress down!

I also noticed that "Q" does NOT move like the "T" does at the power on does, if that helps with anything.

Also, scoring doesn't seem to be working at the moment, was previously, but I wanted to run up and report about the "Q" info.

Btw- can I cut that coil like thing (small, maybe a relay) out from the coin door area, the lightest jostle and it turns out the whole game. I think it is messing stuff up, and if not using coin up, likely no use for it

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Okay, I heald the "Q" relay and wallah ... All coils started working! Of course, they only worked when "Q" is heald in, but I guess this is help track the progress down!
I also noticed that "Q" does NOT move like the "T" does at the power on does, if that helps with anything.
Also, scoring doesn't seem to be working at the moment, was previously, but I wanted to run up and report about the "Q" info.

Find the coil's resistance rating, and check the coil with a multimeter to see if it's good or bad.

https://www.flippers.com/coil-resistance.html

If it's still good, then check the wires to the coil for breaks using a multimeter.

Btw- can I cut that coil like thing (small, maybe a relay) out from the coin door area, the lightest jostle and it turns out the whole game. I think it is messing stuff up, and if not using coin up, likely no use for it

Good grief. No, please don't resort to butchering the game like that. The slam switch(es) probably just need adjustment. Repairing machines can take quite a bit of patience and research. A "band aid" fix just leads to problems later--kind of like soldering wires directly to the edge connectors.

#31 9 years ago

Chart says it should be at 231. I took a reading and it's at 233.2.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

Chart says it should be at 231. I took a reading and it's at 233.2.

It should be good then. A deviation of +/- 5% is normal.

Try tracing the wires and see if you can get a good continuity test from each lug on the coil to wherever each wire ends up. One of the wires may pass through a fuse. Both ends will probably end up at pins on one of the playfield's connectors.

#33 9 years ago

So the problem is that Q is not energising.

Q1 is the driver transistor on the driver board that controls the Game Over Relay (Q)

A quick test for power and continuity from driver board to the Q coil is to ground the metal tab of Q1 on the driver board. If power and wiring is good then the relay will operate.

SYS1_Driver.jpgSYS1_Driver.jpg

#34 9 years ago

Allow me to start me saying thank you to everyone who is helping me on this! I am forcing myself to learn new stuff on this project, and I am enjoying doing so. Thank you for taking the time to not only help me trouble-shoot my game issues, but to also explain things I might inquire on how to do!

#35 9 years ago

WOZ- can you explain what I need to do to ground the tab? I think I know what I need to do, but because it is something on the board, I want to confirm before doing. I get super nervous and second guess myself whenever boards come into the mix!

#36 9 years ago

he posted a picture of the driver board above with the Q1 transistor circled. go look at your game, the metal tab of this transistor will be obvious. with the game turned on, using an alligator test lead with one end connected to ground (you have done the ground mods right?)... touch the other end to the Q1 metal tab. this should pull in the under playfield Q transistor. (Note finding ground on a gottlieb isn't all that easy unfortunately, which may complicate this, but if you've done the ground mods, this will help.)

did you watch the http://pinrepair.com/sys1 videos embedded inside the repair guide? if not, you best go do that before doing anything else. the intro to system1 video should help give you a good beginner basis of information.

#37 9 years ago

No, I haven't done any ground mods yet. I can do that next if you suggest you think I should do that now, rather than wait.
Also, to confirm, the grounding is basically wire on an alligator clip connected to Q1 and the touch it to a ground screw in the backbox....correct?

#38 9 years ago

I want to order that Q1 transistor, can somebody tell me a part number, or the info I need to order? Again, sorry for being so novice when it comes to my bored knowledge!
--Ed

#39 9 years ago

You should have a parts list in your manual. In the parenthesis after the part model numbers lists the places where the component would be found (ie, Q1)

The original transistor used was a Motorola NPN transistor U45.

Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Central-Semiconductor/CEN-U45/?qs=AjE1biBnhWMySrLgKJP7Kw%3D%3D

Big Daddy (search for CEN-U45): http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_transistors.htm

#40 9 years ago

Thanks "force flow" for the part number and links.

Yup, I would have normally looked it up in the manual, but this is one game I don't have the manual for. For all my other games, I have always been able to get them from IPDB, but this one isn't on there, and I can't seem to find an online version of it anywhere.

Again, thanks for the help!

I will report back once I replace the transistor.

#41 9 years ago

Gottlieb manuals are not freely distributed, unlike other manufacturers.

If you want a manual, you will have to get one from PBResource.com, or from someone else selling one (ie, ebay).

#42 9 years ago

Forceflow, I thought that might be the case with the Gottlieb manuals - thanks for confirming.

I need a few misc items from PBR, so I will add it to my order that I was going to call in tomorrow

3 weeks later
#43 9 years ago

okay, so I have been busy trying to trace this issue and it seems like the more things i eliminate the more frustrated i get, as it must be staring me in the face.

i finished the rewiring and re-doing the harnesses in the backbone, which were hardwired to the bored by someone previously......no luck

i got a new driver board that was tested to be fully working, which would have eliminated the transistor that was you guys thought might be the issue .... so new board / transistor .... no luck

i thought maybe the relay coil or diode might be an issue, so i swapped the two and that test simply proved that relays and diodes are working when put in the relay position that is "working"

so, here is where i am at:
1) i can not get the game in to a test mode
2) i can not get the game to actually start
3) the "Q" relay still does not trip at power-up, but "T" does

i CAN get the flippers, pop bumpers and sling shots to work if I engage the "Q" relay (the troublesome one)

I did notice that the slam tilt, tilt switch, and the root-target have all been cut out of the system. From what I read, this seems to be normal, as they are often troublesome and operators typically cut them out, especially the roto-target, as it needed adjustment and attention, and operator often wanted to be in and out.

Any thoughts on where i should direct my attention?

Would the fact that the old battery is still on the board be culprit to any of the issues i am having. i am obviously going to be redoing the battery, but haven't had the chance yet.

#44 9 years ago

Bump for the morning crowd

#45 9 years ago

I am just wrapping up a system 1 "Solar Ride" which had tons of connector problems. The main connector problems I had was to completely repin the cpu-to-driver board harness and the connector on the cpu board which went to the cabinet switches (specifically to the start button). Thank goodness I have a pdf copy of the Gottlieb System 1 Service Manual (I scanned it myself) which shows all the wires colors and pinout of all the connectors in the machine.

#46 9 years ago

hey Ken ... and chance i could peruse that pdf service manual

#47 9 years ago

Hi Ken - I am working on bringing a solar ride back to life myself - if you would be willing to share the service manual with me also, I might actually have a fighting chance...thanks for considering.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from E_N_3:

hey Ken ... and chance i could peruse that pdf service manual

I HIGHLY recommend you buy one... they are worth it!

System/1 Service Manual
Spiral Bound Copy.
Contain all System/1 Schemtics.
GTB-S/1-MAN
$12.00ea

http://www.pbresource.com/PinballPool.html

#49 9 years ago

I keep trying to convince myself and others that Got's system 1's really aren't that bad... Now that I've owned one for over a year, I can confirm that they are just the absolute worst pieces of pinball crap that were every designed. Some things just aren't worth saving and pumping in crazy amounts of money and time into to get working. Push it off a roof!

This is coming from someone that really does like playing the system 1's, seriously. I just can't stand how crapy they were made though.

#50 9 years ago

I like the system 1 machines!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 192 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-board-work-who-does-it-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.