IMG_20220215_213242144 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220215_202807983 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220215_202744366 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220215_202819844 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220215_202844594 (resized).jpg
IMG_20220215_202912185 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi there Pin People,

Recently got my first pin and I'm very excited.

1979 Gottlieb "Solar Ride".

I'm replacing the 3 boards inside with a Pascal 1x4 board.

What I'm curious about is the value or use of the old boards. Is this useful to anyone?

Like if I turn it into an art project will the pinball world be out to get me?

Just want to make sure I don't mess up something useful or rare or whatever because of my own ignorance.

Thanks for all insight, and I truly appreciate this space and all you kind strangers.

My best,

-Nigel

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

What I'm curious about is the value or use of the old boards. Is this useful to anyone?

$20-$30 on the driver board. The MPU and power supply don't really have much value in an untested or non-working state. The interconnect harness might be $10-$20.

Quoted from nigel:

Like if I turn it into an art project will the pinball world be out to get me?

Yes, you will need to flee like Frankenstein's monster. I'm kidding. Maybe.

Generally speaking, the ideal approach is to repair a game to working condition, and most people prefer that any modifications that aren't stock to be easily reversible with no lasting damage. Chances are that you probably won't keep the game forever, and irreversible customizations would make the game incredibly difficult to sell when that time comes.

Aftermarket parts are perfectly fine. Replacement boards, especially for system 1 games that had a terrible boardset design to begin with, are fine as well.

Quoted from nigel:

Just want to make sure I don't mess up something useful or rare or whatever because of my own ignorance.

Feel free to ask all the questions you need, and folks will likely point you in the right direction.

For system 1 game repair, there are two main central repositories of knowledge:

http://pinrepair.com/sys1/

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Gottlieb_System_1

#3 2 years ago

Thank you so much @forceflow.

Although I don't believe that the MPU is functioning correctly, (Some of the chips get real hot, some don't) I'll refrain from messing with them. Maybe frame the thing, as I think it is the largest board I've ever seen.

Thanks for the $ estimates, I guess what I meant by value is if it would be useful to someone else, and you answered that.
I'll just make sure to not do anything that isn't reversible.

Well, thanks again!

#4 2 years ago

The biggest consideration for used System 1 boards is what condition the connector fingers are on the board. Often the fingers for the power connector J1 on the left of the CPU boards are worn the worst. Fingers are on the back of the board when installed. If the plating has worn off fingers considerably, not much value.

#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the info @phishrace.
I'm really surprised just how good of condition it is in.
When I get home I'll throw some pictures up.

If they will be useful in their current condition then it only seems to make sense to me to keep them available for that person on the hunt.

Thanks again.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

If they will be useful in their current condition then it only seems to make sense to me to keep them available for that person on the hunt.

Physical condition is only half the issue. More often than not, the U5 spider chip ends up being dead due to a switch matrix short. There are no replacements for those spider chips, and they are all different, so you can't swap one in from another position. So unfortunately, when the same irreplaceable chip fails on a large number of boards, untested/non-working boards end up having minimal value.

#7 2 years ago

I can only imagine that this is decent shape.

And really the reason for my asking the question in the first place. I could be a giant goober and frame this with a plaque saying, "Apollo 14 Telemetry Board".

But if this is useful, I don't mind helping someone out.

ForceFlow & phishrace

Thanks again.

IMG_20220215_202744366 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202744366 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202807983 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202807983 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202819844 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202819844 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202844594 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202844594 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202912185 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_202912185 (resized).jpg
#8 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

I can only imagine that this is decent shape.
And really the reason for my asking the question in the first place. I could be a giant goober and frame this with a plaque saying, "Apollo 14 Telemetry Board".
But if this is useful, I don't mind helping someone out.
ForceFlow & phishrace
Thanks again.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yes, that's a very nice board. You'll want to take that battery off (DataSentry), it is likely already leaking acid into some of the traces.. so the sooner the better.. and anyone who takes the board would want this off.

Please do try to move it to someone who will fix it up. I could use the Driver board if you end up selling, please let me know.

I have some less desirable arcade boards if you wanted to trade, but I'm in canada, so shipping is sometimes not practical... and the border is not quite there yet it seems :/

#9 2 years ago

koji Hi there!

Two solders holding that battery in. Just unsolder?

I'm in Washington, and I ship to Canada as a part of my job. I'll see what I can wrangle and it's yours for the shipping cost. Oh, and refuge when the tinderbox goes off.

But really. If you have a use, it's all yours.

#10 2 years ago

Here's the driver.

Pinball camping trip that drifts crazy close to the boarder? Eh? Maybe?

IMG_20220215_213242144 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_213242144 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_213256378 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_213256378 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_213305287 (resized).jpgIMG_20220215_213305287 (resized).jpg
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

koji Hi there!
I'm in Washington, and I ship to Canada as a part of my job. I'll see what I can wrangle and it's yours for the shipping cost. Oh, and refuge when the tinderbox goes off.

Wow.. yeah that would be amazing. Please let me know.. Yes, def have use.. I'm building a joker poker from frankenstein parts, and I need the driver board.

Yeah, no problem.. at least I can offer pinball if you ever make it up north to Surrey

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

Here's the driver.
Pinball camping trip that drifts crazy close to the boarder? Eh? Maybe?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks nice, not worried about issues either, as I have the parts to replace most components.. was just waiting for a board to turn up.

Thanks-

#13 2 years ago

Well, let's see what I can do.
Are you only interested in the driver, or the MPU also?

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

Well, let's see what I can do.
Are you only interested in the driver, or the MPU also?

I can possibly use it.. If not I know people for sure.. Sometimes depending on what is wrong with these they can be difficult to get going again..

Thank you.

#15 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

koji Hi there!

Yes.. Pretty big pins iirc.. But it should come off on two points..

#16 2 years ago

Cool game btw. The pascal is particularly good for this as shooting the special is a really fun shot to make (hit the drops to each side, leaving just the one thst becomes lit) I believe with the pascal you can make this worth 50k, which would add a great deal of strategy to this title for competative play... Much more so that the original which awards a credit... Making it not such a viable Strat for competition.

#17 2 years ago

i'd be interested in the mpu .

#18 2 years ago

I just got it running the other day. Adjusting switches at the moment. Kinda still surprised that I have a pin. Never thought that would happen.

I'll get going on the shipping if you two want to send me info on where it's going.

#19 2 years ago

I doubt I need the couple small harnesses either. So there's those two.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from nigel:

I doubt I need the couple small harnesses either. So there's those two.

Thanks Nigel,

Sending a PM.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Jefferson, WI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-board-value and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.