• 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by the4horse
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1262 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

I just got a Close Encounters with no keys. I was hoping the backbox key would be hanging inside the cabinet when I drilled out the front door lock but no such luck. Had to drill out the backbox lock after an hour of trying keys, screwdrivers etc without any luck. Drilled out the lock but it still doesn't want to open...any tips or tricks to this?

#3 7 years ago

I drilled and removed the whole lock core but I still can't open the backbox door

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from the96stang:

System 1s are a pain in the butt when the entire lock core is drilled out. You need to almost use a hanger and try and pull on the lock bar inside the cabinet. Do you happen to have another system 1?

No, this is my only machine. Could it be reached from under the playfield?

#11 7 years ago

When I looked up removing locks from backbox the majority of people said 'drill it out'. It'll be blind luck if I can get this open after looking at those latches.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ripple:

The vent holes on the top of the head are going to give the access you need. I think you can push down in the top latch.

There's an aluminium plate under the vent holes that stops any access.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Looks like using a stiff wire bent into a hook at the end would make it fairly easy to catch the top arm and pull it down.
Do you have a wire coat hanger and a pair of pliers handy?

Yes I'll try this but it might be a bit tricky through the drilled out lock. I'll let you know if I have any luck...thanks.

#16 7 years ago

So the locks been drilled out in your photo hasn't it? I think the top latch has unlocked but the lower one's still holding on. Might try putting it on it's side like you suggested.

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from wiredoug:

you need 3m long arms.. basically its a sorta Z arm and you knocked the middle out without pulling the ends in.. its now stuck.
see if you can poke around in the lock hole with a screwdriver and catch the arm. otherwise you might have some luck lying the entire machine on its side. ill go take a photo of whats inside for you.

Dunno 'bout 3m long arms. I pulled the playfield back and using a flat bladed screwdriver, I was able to reach up under the playfield and unhook the lower latch and the door opened...you beauty!
Thanks for all the responses...much appreciated! I'm glad I didn't have to butcher anything

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider the4horse.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-backbox-wont-open?tu=the4horse and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.