Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by CactusJack
  • Topic is favorited by 22 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180126_170806325 (resized).jpg
    LISYcontrol_Switches (resized).jpg
    LISYcontrol_Lamps (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jabdoa.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hi,

today, we are proud to announce support for the LISY platform in the Mission Pinball Framework (MPF).
    The Linux Interface for Gottlieb SYstem (LISY) completely replaces the MPU in a Gottlieb system 1 or 80 machine for less than 100 bucks.
    It allows you to play your original ROM using PinMAME and to run custom code using MPF by just changing a DIP switch.
    No further modifications to your hardware are needed.

Starting with firmware version 4.02, LISY can act as a hardware interface to Gottlieb machines in MPF (current dev version; future 0.50 release).
    Your custom game can either run on a separate PC and connect using USB or serial (very useful during development) or it can run directly on the LISY MPU itself (no extra hardware needed).
    All Gottlieb system 1/80 peripherals are supported: 7-segment displays/20-segment alpha numeric displays, switches on the switch matrix, lights, coils, coils on lamp drivers (such as flipper enable and tilt relay) and sound with the original sounds.
    Furthermore, you can run the MPF media manager on a separate PC to play custom sounds or add a LCD or DMD.

Thanks to bontango for all the excellent work on the LISY firmware. You can get the hardware and hardware documentation at www.lisy80.com. The MPF documentation about LISY and Gottlieb System 1/80 can be found at http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/latest/hardware/lisy/index.html.

Jan

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Looks good. Are there any distributors of this board in the USA?

Shipping from Germany to the US is not expensive (2kg for $16). bontango can probably tell more about it. He is doing this as a non-profit. The hardware is about 60€ which is currently about $60. In total this would be still below $100.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

How about adding some sort of 16x2 LCD display to the board? It could be used for a test menu or diagnostics mode.

You can have that with MPF. You could use a Raspberry Pi or some small embedded system such as an Intel NuC which would easily fit into the backbox.

#26 6 years ago

bontango Reichelt also ships to the US. However, mouser or digikey will probably also sell all those parts.

1 week later
    #43 6 years ago

Digikey seems to have that one. Is it a drop in replacement? https://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/texas-instruments/CD74HCT154E/296-33132-5-ND/38320

Edit: seems to be EOL and replaced by the smd version as well by TI.

74 series parts have been around for ages so I would expect them to continue to be available.

Edit: but at least for TI only as SMD.

Jan

3 months later
    #49 6 years ago

Afaik, the current plan is to produce and assemble the boards in China. Unfortunately, there was a delivery problem with the first batch and DHL scrapped all boards. That was like a week ago. The manufacturer is redoing them currently. I don't know the exact plan/timescale but bontango probably knows more.

Jan

6 months later
    #53 5 years ago

More documentation is up now: http://docs.missionpinball.org/en/dev/hardware/lisy/index.html. Let us know if you find any mistakes or miss anything in the documentation.

4 weeks later
    #57 5 years ago
    Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I just re-read it. He stated to add a crystal lcd would take an additional 6 i/o which was not available.
    Yea... If it were not for this project I was considering selling cleopatra off...
    If only there were a way to lower the playfield enough to get clearance for some wireform ramps and height for toys on Cleopatra & Raven...

You can control the segment displays using LISY and MPF. Additionally (or instead of you remove the segment displays) you can connect any LCD monitor (or a DMD with additional hardware) to your PC running MPF. There are very few technical limitations.

Jan

1 week later
    #61 5 years ago

Yeah just use your notebook or PC during development. You can then later run it on the RPi. Just make sure you get LISY with the RPI3 instead of the Zero because the 3 is a bit faster. Intel NuC or the up board are other small PCs which would work with MPF-MC. Technically MPF-MC works on the PI but it will require a lot of tuning at the end.

Jan

#63 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

Time for another stupid question. Is this compatible with the new pi 3b. I don't own a pi 3b yet. Buying one soon as they finally updated the code for retropi. I actually currently own two pi 3s. But, I'm going to stop buying the normal ones and go with 3b's cos they're a bit better. Just an itty bitty bit.

I think so. MPF will work for sure. Since the pinout is the same I guess that LISY will also work.

#65 5 years ago
    Quoted from Diospinball:

I thought I was done with my stupid questions... But, stupidity knows no bounds... At least for me. Anyway, I am thinking about altering the code for a Raven pinball. Which is a gottlieb system 80b. Is that supported. I'm hoping it is. Cos I got big plans for my Raven.

According to lisy80.com it is

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jabdoa.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-system-1-and-system-80-support-in-the-mission-pinball-framewo?tu=jabdoa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.